It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

jhamilton401 HB User
HIDA scan. What to expect?

I have a HIDA scan scheduled for tomorrow morning.
What should I expect? How long will it take?
From what I've researched about it on the internet I will lay on a table for 2 hours while they inject radioactive dye into me and a scanner like camera goes up and down my stomach area taking pictures.
I have anxiety issues and I don't know if I can do this without freaking out.
Will they let my husband go back in the room the procedure will be done in with me?
Does the medicine, the dye they give you have any bad side effects?
I've had every other test that my gastroenterologist can think of to find out what is wrong with my stomach.
My stomach bloats up especially in the center around and right above my belly button. Every morning I wake up my stomach inside just feels "raw".
I have mild heartburn and burning around the same area and I go from severe bloating to burning to nausea feeling all at the same time.
During an earlier ultrasound of my gallbladder my gastroenterologist said he couldn't see my gallbladder meaning I don't have one (rare) or it is underneath my liver or another organ and maybe thats why they couldn't see it.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User
Re: HIDA scan. What to expect?

What you described is what will happen. Takes 1 1/2 -2 hours. They inject a dye that highlights the GB (takes about an hour)then they inject something called CCK to make your GB contract(takes 30 mins. to 1 hour). I had mine done at our hospital. I don't know if your husband will be allowed in though. You could ask. Mine was done in a room with a bunch of x-ray machines and stuff. I would suggest bringing a book or something to pass the time as it is long and boring--no one warned me of this!

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: HIDA scan. What to expect?

Yeah... it's just boring. Other than getting the IV put in, it really doesn't hurt at all. You just lay there. Also, it's not really a claustrophobic test, because the machine is very open. You don't actually go inside the machine, it just has an arm that goes above your abdomen. I went alone, so I don't know if visitors are allowed. I didn't have any trouble with the injection with side effects or anything.

Closed Thread