It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Question gallstone question

Hi I have posted my recent problems a few times and I now have a question regarding gallstones. My major problem has been upper abdominal discomfort (sometimes severe) but mostly just a continuous nagging discomfort. When I eat, I sometimes feel that I am really bloated and the discomfort can get really bad. I also have what I call a runner's pinch sometimes which is located right under my right ribcage but mostly the discomfort is between my ribcage. I had a scope and it only showed mild gastritis. I also have had a lot of blood tests and an abdominal ct scan. I am scheduled now for an abdominal ultrasound. I know people that have had gallstones and there pain was very intense w/ fever like sweating. I have had that once or twice but most of the time my pain is a continuos nagging ache. I have not found a certain food that makes it worse, it seems to be any sort of food. I am taking Prevacid and Zoloft. My GI thinks that I have IBS and because of my history with panic attacks, he wants to attribut my pain to stress and he hasn't done any tests except for the scope. I ordered the ct scan and up coming ultrasound through my family doctor.

I really don't think this is stress. Sometimes I get so bloated that I won't eat and when I do, the discomfort is really bad. When I get bloated, antacids, mylanta, pepto, ... does no good. My stools haven't been the same since this all started. They are loose and BIG. I had lost weight when this started (about 10 lbs) but I have gain most of it back since the intese discomfort happens ever so often so I am able to eat most of the time though it's not easy.

Can gallstones cause a continous nagging ache? I thought that the pain from gallstones comes from the stone getting lodged into the duct which inflames the gallbladder and the pain goes away after the stone settles back down. I just wonder if I am over doing it by ordering all these tests. My gi doc said that if in a couple of weeks the Zoloft doesn't help that he will perfrom an upper GI and colonoscopy to rule out other things. Anyway, any advice would be helpful because I am getting to the end of the rope by continuously calling the doctor with questions. I feel like when I call and tell them my name, the people at the doctor's office are like "oh it's him again"!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Have you had a nuclear scan done? This is where the functioning of your gallbladder is done. Turned out my continuous pain under my right rib cage was due to a non-functioning gallbladder. It was not emptying of the bile and that is why it hurt. I didn't really have any stones, just some grainy little sandy stones, if you can call it that.

Had my gallbladder removed and I'm fine now. Best of luck!

Old 08-18-2003, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Having the abdominal ultrasound tomorrow. I plan to ask about the HIDA scan while I am there. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Actudan, i have the same pain that you were talking about in your posting.Its a gnawng pain,under the right ribcage.Sometimes it will switch to like a sore feeling pain.The doctors cant pin down whats causing it .They say its not connected to the acid reflux problem i have,i say hogwash on what they say.Ive had this pain off and on ever since i had this acid reflux problem.The doc doesnt want to do anymore tests because he thinks it be a waste of time and money.And that everythng would come up negative again.So i dont know where to go from here.There are other tests i can have but from what i hear there not to pleasantto have done.Hope you get some answers to you problem soon .Take care

------------------

Old 08-18-2003, 02:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Actudan, i have the same pain you were describing.Its on my right ribcage.Its a gnawing pain,sometimes like a sore spot.Had endoscopy done found out i had h.pylori.Took a course antibiotics for it, when it was over same pain came back.Doc doesnt think its related to my acid reflux.I say say hogwash on him ,never had this pain till i startng having acid reflux.Doctor doesnt want to do anymore tests cause he doesnt think its acid reflux related.So im up the river wthout a paddle so to speak.Let me know if you have any tests done and what they are?Ive had some tests done and everythings turned up negative.No sense in me having the same tests done as you,if they turn up negative.

------------------

Old 08-18-2003, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Dianek what did the pain you had continuously feel like?

------------------

Old 08-18-2003, 03:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
It felt sort of like that cramp or stitch you get in your side if you run around after recently eaten? I used to feel that way as a kid. This pain was even tender when I pressed on my side...I was convinced I had liver cancer or something horrible as it was right below my ribcage. Thank God everything checked out OK and it was only my gallbladder.

I never became nauseaus or had an attack that so many do; it was just a nagging; neverending pain in my side.

[This message has been edited by Dianek (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-18-2003, 07:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Dianek did you have your gall bladder out?If so how did they find out you had a gall bladder problem?What tests did they do?Thanks

------------------

Old 08-19-2003, 08:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Well I had the ultrasound peformed this morning and the lady doing the test didn't see anything. I still have to wait for the radiologist's report. I didn't see my doctor this morning so I didn't a chance to ask about the HIDA test. My gi doc doesn't want to do any more tests either because he feels that it's IBS and stress even though all tests have not been performed. I plan to give the anitdepressant a couple of weeks to see if they help and if not, I will have the upper GI and colonoscopy performed. If those tests come back normal, I guess then I am going to have to learn to live with the discomfort because I will have run out of tests, except for the ERCP and I am not having that one done.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Actudan the pain you are talking about ive had off and on for years.It would come and go .Last for a few days to a few weeks.Then it would disappear for a few months to retun again.The pain came back 6 months ago and now have it 24x7.Lets hope yours doesnt prigress to that stage.

------------------

Old 08-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Oops progress i meant.

------------------

Old 11-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #12

smoores HB User
Re: gallstone question

I recently went to my dr complaining of pain under my right rib cage and he suspects gallstones. But it really only starts hurting when I excercise..all other times i'm ok..do / did you guys have the same thing happen to you?

Old 11-20-2003, 06:21 PM   #13

susan99 HB User

I also have the same nagging pain. I had my gallbladder removed about 8 years ago, so I know it isn't that. I have had several tests: EGD, ERCP, MRCP, CT, US, and just yesterday a colonoscopy. Everything has turned out okay and the Dr. said it is IBS. I am happy that all of my tests have come back normal, and I should be relieved that I don't have anything seriously wrong with me. I guess since all of us have the same symptom, and keep getting the same diagnosis (IBS and stress), maybe that is all that is wrong. I have so many medical bills as a result of all these tests (thanks to my wonderful insurance ) and I am done with tests for a while. I am gonna kick back and relax now. I wish everyone the best. Susan

Last edited by susan99; 11-20-2003 at 06:22 PM.

Old 11-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Wink Re: gallstone question

I have a good internal MD who is also a Psychratrist. I have the same symptoms as you do. Dull ache, sort to weight of even clothing. Probably IBS, but am having ultra-sound to rule out gall bladder problems. Srris aren't going to do anything for IBS or Acid reflux. If you have anxiety problems, only benzos will relieve the spasms that cause excess bile flow and other problems. I have posted the following on a previous post, but no one seems to take much in its worth:
"There is another drug that is safe to use that you might bring to your doctors attention. It is called Carafate (Sucralfate generic name). It is a super ant-acid that coats the stomach and weights down the bile so it will flow out through the intestine properly. Also by coating the stomach and intestines it lets ulcers and such heal. Check with you doctor and get his advice. By stopping the acids and weighting the bile, it stops the bile flow from reversing upwards and bile from causing problems moving down the intestines. Regular reflux medications such as previcid, zantac etc. do not have any effect on the bile problem, just over acids". Just a thought. Research it.

Sickman

Old 12-01-2003, 09:10 AM   #15

smoores HB User

so you don't think it's gallstones?

Closed Thread