It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Post HIDA scan description?

Can someone describe the HIDA scan process? I have read in other posts that the process takes about 2 hours and you have to drink some nuclear stuff. I'm interested in knowing if I will be able to return to work on the day of the test. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:14 AM   #2

trojanmom HB User
I had the exact same question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 05:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
I had to swallow a pill the day before given to me at the hospital and return the next day for the test.

You probably will be at the hospital or medical center for about an 1-1/2 to 2 hours and there shouldn't be any reason why you can't return to work later on. I felt fine afterwards, it was my nerves that were shot! LOL!

Old 08-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I got a injection the day before and I went back 3 days in a row for the scan. You should be able to go back to work.

Old 08-21-2003, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi there - my test took about 3 hours because my gall bladder was so slow to fill; once they injected the CCK it spasmed and emptied immediately. However, I was in such pain afterwards due to having an "attack" during the procedure that I didn't go back to work because I felt too much pain/discomfort.

However, I'm probably the exception to the rule. However, I don't remember drinking anything. Mine was all through IV.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 08-22-2003, 11:15 AM   #6

carebear73 HB User
I don't know if the Hida scan process is the same for everyone.. I've heard different things. With myself, I had to lay on a table and the hook you up to an IV where they inject you with the nuclear medicine dye.. put the scanner on top your abdomen and wait for your gb to fill up. Mine didn't fill up after 2 hours so they gave me a small dose of morphine to shoot the dye back up into my gallbladder. It worked.. but I still have to have it removed. Hope this helps :-)

Old 08-23-2003, 07:15 PM   #7

RubyBliss HB User
For my HIDA scan, I was injected with a radioactive dye. I layed down on a bed, not allowed to move, and had a camera hovering above my stomach for about an hour and a half as it took pics of the dye going into the gall bladder. Actually, I ended up drinking some water to push the dye through a bit faster because it took a lot longer than expected. Anyway, I then had to drink a surprisingly tasty chocolate shake that had 100 grams of fat, and I had to down it quickly. I then layed back down on the bed and the camera was again placed, hovering above my stomach for about an hour. I was planning on going back to work that afternoon, but there was no way that was gonna happen! I was out for the count for the next couple of days from drinking 100 grams of fat! Results showed my gall bladder was non-functioning...which explains why I was out for the count for a couple of days! My body just couldn't take the fat!!

It's a fairly simple test, but it does take a few hours. Good luck with the test!

RubyBliss

Closed Thread