It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
(male)

j.m. HB User
what's causing the bloating even on an empty stomach?

i get bloated just eating a lousy apple and even when i fast for a day or two, i have this constant full, bloated feeling.
i have diverticulosis and hiatal hernia, but i know that can't possibly be causing that.
does anyone know what it is?

Old 07-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User
Re: what's causing the bloating even on an empty stomach?

The diverticulosis is the reason. There is probably sections of intestine where there is stool, then gas, then more stool, then gas. All this trapped stuff is causing the constant ballooning feeling. The only real solution is to do a cleanse with Cleanse Smart or Dr Natura, whichever you can afford. Swedish Bitters will soften things up, too, and push out the trapped gas. And I can't emphasize enough how important L-glutamine is for diverticula repair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

j.m.

I think bloating is primarily caused when your intestinal bacteria gets out of balance for any number of reasons. The unfriendly bacteria needs to be re-balanced.

It can be caused by a round of antibiotics, other medication, spicy food, acidic food, eating too much salty or sugary foods, alcohol and a host of other things. And once this happens -- itis not easy to correct.

THere are over 400 different strains of bacteria in your GI tract and there is a constant war going on keeping them in balance.
A big problem is there is no tests for Doctors to conduct to determine what is normal for any bacteria in your intestines.

Unfriendly bacteria thrive on sugar and an apple contains fruit sugar-- fructose. A simple thing like an apple can make some people feel very bloated and feel very full.

Your system can be rebalanced by eating a good brand of yogurt with many active culture added and a probiotic supplement twice daily on an empty stomach. Most probiotic supplement are destroyed by stomach acids as well as heat so store them in the refrigerator.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Old 09-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
(male)

j.m. HB User

well, the thing is when i did a bowel cleanse a while back for a barium enema,
i was still bloated afterwards. so what could that be?

Old 09-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

As I wrote several months ago-- I think the friendly bacteria in your Gastro intestinal tract are out of balance and need to be re-balanced.

This can happen by eating too much salty foods, sugary foods, spicy foods, alcohol, a round of antibiotics as well as other medications,

I use probiotic supplements as well as yogurt and Kefir.
I use Pearls by Ezymatic Therapy, PB-8 by Nutrition Now and Culturelle--- daily. There are others that are good but you have to find them--- and until you get the friendly flora in balance -- your bloating will continue -- particularly when you eat something that contains sugar and that includes simple carbs that turn to sugar!!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
(male)

j.m. HB User

thanks for the advice, Harry.
i will seek out all the supplements you've mentioned.
at this point, i'm game for anything.

i'm finally due for an ultrasound test this Saturday.
i hope they can spot the problem.
whatever it is i have, i just hope it's not gastroparesis.

by the way, would all those probiotics + Kefir and magnesium
be good for my acid reflux? because i wanna treat myself
the healthy way. i don't want to be taking meds forever.

Last edited by j.m.; 09-28-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

j.m.
Acid reflux is caused by stomach acid flowing up your esophagus irritating it.
It is normally treated with a PPI that reduces the stomach acid that is produced by many acid producing cells in your stomach.
A good natrual think to do is raise the head of your bed at least 4 inches to keep the acid from flowing up your throat while sleeping. And eat a blanded diet--also don't eat anything 3 hours before going to bed.

If you arec still having trouble take a dose of Gaviscon before bed.

The most important with acid reflux -- I think is eating a heathy diet that is not very acidic!!

All the things like probiotics supplements, yogurt, kefir and magnesium help--- you have a healthier digestive system.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Old 10-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
(female)

mishtina HB User
Question Re: what's causing the bloating even on an empty stomach?

Tell me Harry please. What is a probiotic?Where can I find it? Thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Probiotic are supplements that are friend bacteria type--- Pro means For
There are 400 different bactria strain in the intestines when they get out of balance they need to be rebalanced with friend bacteria

Common ones are Lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus,--- Do a search on Google for Probiotic Supplements

Last edited by Harry; 10-10-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #10
(male)

redbarronsnoopy HB User

Harry, I had similar probs to what you're having. My doc suggested taking Pepto Bismol 3x daily for 2 weeks. Wierd I know....but I guess it helps kill off the bacteria that is causing the bloating. Ulcers don't help either...I have one and excess H pylori bacteria in your small intestine (most likely causing the prob) create a cyclical effect of ulcer irritation, hence bloatinged feeling, fullness feeling, burning, heartburn, etc.

Anyhow, I tried the Pepto thing and it actually worked. I have to repeat every coupla weeks to months or so...but it seems to help a lot.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #11
(male)

Asgard HB User

Forget about supplements and drugs for now!

What you need to do is eliminate possible food, colour, preservative and other additives that may be causing your problem. Food can include allergy and intolerence.

This site is the bible on food intolerence and dietary causes of disease and conditions. The list will astound you. Its based on a 20 year study by a major hospital.

[url]http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/[/url]

The site is a little messy to navigate, but persist and read everything you can.

Even so, it didnt solve my problem. but did give me the tools to do it myself.
The result, intolerent or allergic to potatoes, and reactive to msg and ginger.

I have exactly the same symptoms, drugs improved it, by they are completely unnecessary if I keep off the things that trigger it. That is, the foods and additives.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread