It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

Toot Toot HB User
Please help with my anxiety...having a colonoscopy

Hi. I've been having symptoms for over 2.5 months now, and I'm finally having a colonoscopy in less than a week. I'm nervous. I think I'm not so nervous about the procedure, but rather I'm nervous about the results.

Will I know anything immediately following? When this was scheduled, I met with the PA; the appointment was somewhat hurried. So, I haven't even met the doctor yet, and I don't know what the typical protocol is for giving results.

If cancer is present, will the doctor know this on sight -- or will a biopsy be necessary? Does colon cancer always start as a polyp? What are some other results I might expect from a colonoscopy?

Thanks for any information....
Romans 8:28

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
(female)

quenterry0 HB User
Re: Please help with my anxiety...having a colonoscopy

Hey there Toot Toot!

I just had a colonoscopy done yesterday morning. It was really nothing - I was FREAKED out about the entire thing! I had to drink golytly the night before to clean out my bowels - I mixed it with OJ and it went great! The procedure caused slight cramping and I was pretty much awake and watched it on the screen. I received my results within a few hours! I was told to call the docs office at 3:30pm for the results. I ended up having 5 polyps removed and an internal hemmeroid. The doc said he can pretty much tell if the polyp in cancerous just by looking at it. Good Luck!

Teresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
(female)

Toot Toot HB User

Hey thanks, Teresa, for the response!

So, I'm curious...does the doc think yours are cancerous? Did he say how long it will be before the biopsy results come in?

Also, I hope you don't mind my asking: what were your symptoms leading up to your colonoscopy? Did you have pain or blood in your stool?

One more thing: it was okay to drink OJ for your prep? My instructions say to limit juices to 'clear'. I kind of wonder exactly what this means.

Thanks again for the time you're taking with this! Please keep me updated on your progress.
Romans 8:28

Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
(female)

quenterry0 HB User

No he didn't say he thouht they were cancerous - I have a followup in 3 weeks to find out for sure - I'm sure the results will be in sooner than that and he'll call if something is wrong though.

I had blood in and around my stool, no pain.

Yes OJ with NO PULP was included in my list of "okay" drinks to drink. Cranberry juice, OJ, kool aid, popsicles, sherbert, broth, JELLO - thats all I can remember. No artificial red flavoring/coloring. No red Jello!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
(female)

stellatj HB User

I had mine done on june 1st i was also very scared they told my son the results right after the test your doctor will tell whoever is with you his findings if you ask the doc too. he will tell you to but you wont remember
with me they found 2 polyps he told my son he didnt think they were anything to worry about but the lab would have the results in 3 days so on day 3 i got a call no cancer retest in 4-5 years i am a 44 yr old female
the test was nothing the prep was the horrible thing i could only mix my stuff with water and the flavor packs that it came with

Old 07-26-2006, 01:53 AM   #6
(female)

Carolthumm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot Toot
Hi. I've been having symptoms for over 2.5 months now, and I'm finally having a colonoscopy in less than a week. I'm nervous. I think I'm not so nervous about the procedure, but rather I'm nervous about the results.

Will I know anything immediately following? When this was scheduled, I met with the PA; the appointment was somewhat hurried. So, I haven't even met the doctor yet, and I don't know what the typical protocol is for giving results.

If cancer is present, will the doctor know this on sight -- or will a biopsy be necessary? Does colon cancer always start as a polyp? What are some other results I might expect from a colonoscopy?

Thanks for any information....

Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
(female)

Carolthumm HB User
Cool Re: Please help with my anxiety...having a colonoscopy

Hi this is Carol

don't worry about a thing. Just make sure that when they weight you in that the nurse and you both know how much you weigh, a the meds they give you are according to weight.\\

I went with a friend twice. The first time she felt nothing. was in la la land.
the nex time the nurse weighed her in at 4o pounds less that what she knew she was, and owwwwww

Any precancerous polyps will be snipped or lazared and the doctor will take some specimens for biopsy. He will be able to tell you some things r ight away, and wait for the biopsy to get done.

Last edited by Carolthumm; 07-26-2006 at 02:01 AM.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User

I was so very scared to have this test. The hard part was the clean out and not the test. I recommend having this test done in the morning. I made the mistake of having it done in the afternoon and was so very weak from all the cleanout and not being allowed to drink. Also, I agree with Carol, don't guess your weight. Let them weigh you. When I had my endoscopy I gave them a higher weight than what I was and ended up very sick from the medication. During my colonoscopy however the amount of medication was perfect. I was out the whole time and did not get sick. I recovered quickly. Good luck. It really is not bad at all.

Closed Thread