It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 02:35 PM   #1

emmybeans HB User
Post need some direction

I'm so glad I found this site. I have found a lot of information, but still not yet anything that sounds like my problem. I apologize in advance if it gets long, I just don't want to leave anything out.
I began having stomach pains about 20 months ago, right after the birth of my daughter. The pain is a burning, squeezing pain in the center of my stomach. (if I put my fist directly under my ribcage in the center, that is where it is) It began slightly, usually on an empty stomach, when I ate something fairly heavy(a bagel, a banana etc..) it would go away. I started on protonix and have graduated to nexium 40 mg. Often I have no relief at all. I have tried other acid reducers along with the nexium (tums, pepcid, pepto, maalox and have resorted to tylenol)again no relief. I had a CT scan of my abdomen and an upper endoscopy. It came back as gastritis and barretts esophogus. I was told by the gastro doc to continue the nexium and basically be on my way. I have changed my diet to reduce acids (I do not and have not had any heartburn since pregnancy) The gastro doc told me to consult a surgeon about having my gallbladder removed. I had a gallbladder attack last November and went to the ER. I was told I had gallstones, I had a HIDA scan and an ultrasound which showed no blockage or infalmmation. My primary doc said he would agree to go conservative and not remove the gallbladder as long as I had no symptoms. I have had an attack or two since, but only after an overindulgence of greasy foods. I took some stone free and ibuprofen and was fine. I don't think that this pain I am having recurring is related to the gallbladder. It is a different kind of pain and is sometimes triggered by drinking a glass of water, or like today eating an apple. I can sometimes go for a couple of days with no pain and other times I go for several days with a couple of hours of relief. Yesterday I laid down on my left side and it seemed to help, I tried that again toay and it again helped...don't know if this is coincidental or not. I am at my wits end and it controls so much of my life...my kids are starting to say "you always have a stomach ache" I am sick of going to doctors and being made to feel like I am a hypochondriac. I would appreciate if anyone could point me in a direction of where to go from here...I don't know if there are anymore tests I can have. Thanks so much.
Laurie
ps I read that where there is barretts esophogus there is almost always a hiatal hernia..could this be pain from a HH?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
It could be a hiatal hernia that causes spasms. A great anti-spasm remedy is Magnesia Phos that you could buy from a health food store.
It is also good for all types of muscle spasms that are helped by warmth!!!

God Bless---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 08-11-2003).]

Old 08-25-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Have you been tested for h.pylori?

------------------

Closed Thread