It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2003, 02:46 PM   #1

M. Dragoo HB User
Post More pain, different area this time

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your responses to my previous posts. Well now its something new, what could pain in your lower left side be an indication of? It seems to hurt worse if I try to stretch out that side. Let me know your ideas. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

carol thomas HB User
Lower left sided pains can be due to several problems, but doctors I've visited seem to think it's primarily due to the large intestine (colon). It could be due to gas in that area (very common) or even just mild constipation. It tends to be a nagging discomfort, not enough to disable you, right?

With my messed up gall bladder and gallstones, I get the same annoying pain/discomfort but in the upper middle to upper right quadrant of the abdomen. A passing stone causes horrible stabbing pains that can last hours. You probably aren't feeling that in the lower left quadrant, although you could for just a few seconds if it's a gas bubble.

If what you're feeling in the lower left is what I described in the first paragraph above, you can probably relax -- I hear people complaining about this all the time and have had the same thing myself.

Another possibility I know of is bladder infection, but that seems much more remote.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #3

M. Dragoo HB User
Wink

Hi Carol, thanks for your response. I too have been having many problems in the upper right area also. Drs have ruled out gallbladder probs at this point. But who knows for sure.

Your probably right about the gas thing on the lower left side. I have been belching alot, like I'm just full of air. Could feeling full of air like I do cause a problem in your in your intestines also? I wouldn't say that I have been passing much gas compared to the amount of belching.

Thanks for your post, you seem nice.

Old 08-27-2003, 10:58 PM   #4
(female)

carol thomas HB User
Hi again --

Yes, the belching and gas are pretty much the same thing, just in different areas. Gas definitely causes the lower left quadrant discomfort. Sometimes you can get rid of it easily, other times not --

Hopefully your doctors are correct that there is nothing wrong with your gall bladder. But keep your eye on those symptoms because as I said, many people here have different problems and all still ultimately point to the gall bladder. Upper right (like below/under the right rib cage area or even in center of upper abdomen) can easily be related to the "biliary tree" i.e., gall bladder, liver, pancreas, and various ducts.

Try eating fewer carbs like sugar, white flour products, and eat very little greasy or fried food. See how you feel also by stopping much in the way of dairy products.

I noticed weight loss and felt better in general after cutting out (mostly) the above items. Carrots are good, as are apples, drinking plenty of water, NOT drinking alcohol (too much sugar and the liver/gall bladder don't tolerate alcohol well), and if you like it,drink a bit of chamomile tea.

Assuming you're not allergic to whole wheat products you can easily have wheat bread, bagels, etc. and not miss the white flour products.

We need to pay attention to how we feel at different times and see if certain foods make us sick. Doctors can only do so much. It also helps to be really specific with them in describing symptoms.

Best wishes to you!

Closed Thread