It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 02:12 PM   #1

prostator HB User
Post need a definitive answer about the PPI's

Hi all, I need some definitive answer on the time it is supposed to take PPI's to work. From all the research I've done, it seems that PPI's should work to control heartburn very quickly, like in one to two days. But what about other symptoms associated with GERD, such as esophagitis, lump in the throat, wheezing, hoarseness, sore throat, etc.? I've been on Prevacid for three weeks now. At first, I thought it had worked. For one week I felt very much improved. Then I ate some Taco Bell (I know this is a no-no, but apparently there is some disconnect between me and my doctor. My parents tell me the doctor said my endoscopy showed esophagitis - I do not remember him ever saying that. So basically I thought Taco Bell might give me a little indigestion for a time, which is no big deal. But if I had esophagitis, a friend told me just that one meal of Taco Bell could have reinflamed the entire esophagus and set back my recovery big time. In addition, the food I ate had never before affected my symptoms.) Anyway, since the Taco Bell, my symptoms have remained, and three weeks of Prevacid so far is not healing them. These symptoms are feeling like a hot lump stuck in the throat and feeling like gas pockets or belches are stuck inside me. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Hi,
I know how you feel. I was getting bad symptoms enough that I was having a hard time breathing and didnt know why. Also a spasm after I ate. 1 1/2 weeks into taking my Prevacid, I was able to breath again and felt 75% better. Well than we went on vacation and of course I ate like a pig up until I went to bed at night and my symptoms are back like before even though Im still taking the Prevacid. Although Im not getting much spasms, the feeling like I cant breathe or fluid feeling is back. I too hope my pigging out sessions didnt affect this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 11:04 AM   #3

Gtpchic31 HB User
Hello,I was on prevacid for close to six months for my gerd. It worked great for the first few months but then quit working. I have heard a lot of people saying the it doesnt work that well. You might want to talk to your doc and maybe try another ppi. I am now on nexium and it seems to be working. Its just a thought.

Old 08-25-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
(male)

HRH HB User
Cool

PPIs don't cure all problems for everyone-- If you take them it means you are putting out too much stomach acids --- Gee, I thought we all knew that???
You are suppose to change your diet so you really don't have to take PPIs the rest of your life and live a life style that you want.

Your definite anwser is CORRECT your diet--- ALL the TIME!!! WE all have problems dealing with GERD.

H

Old 08-25-2003, 02:35 PM   #5

Gtpchic31 HB User
I have one issue with the change you diet idea. Dont get me wrong i agree with you completly but i dont eat much of anything anymore and when i do eat its noodles and things like that. and i still have issues with acid reflux. so to me its not always a diet change.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:53 AM   #6

prostator HB User
I agree diet is very important. I have stuck to a very bland diet, no carbonated drinks, caffeine, junk food, fatty foods, milk, etc. But no difference so far. I can see why diet is important as a preventative measure when a person knows that a certain food will bring on heartburn. But when my symptoms are the same 24 hours a day, and no food seems to worsen them, it's hard to see why the diet is important. But I will stick to the diet just to be safe.

Old 08-27-2003, 11:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
I agree totally with prostator.Even if eat very bland food without those ppi's have terrible heartburn.

------------------

Closed Thread