It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 10:21 PM   #1

flipper1 HB User
Post help...am really not coping

Please can someone help me or point me in the right direction.

It's dawn now and I have to go to work in a few hours but I haven't slept all night because I have been so worried, left the house several times with the intention of going to ER but stopped myself.

For 6 months now I have had severe bloating, nausea, stomach pain, food intolerance, back pain, feeling of something in my throat, swallowing problems, reflux, tightness of chest, flatulence, abdominal noises, cramps, weight loss/weight gain by the day, constipation, vomiting, panic attacks.

I am unable to sleep because when sitting or lying down I can't breathe. If i do drop off, I wake up suddenly gasping for air. If I don't sleep I spend the night consuming any sort of digestive tablets I haven't run out of, or doing yoga, or trying to find a position to lie in to breathe better or get rid of the gas. My panic attacks of course cause more air swallowing so the cycle repeats...

If I eat anything there is always the fear that within half an hour I will be having problems again - I feel best in the mornings (if I have slept) with an empty stomach. I have started to drink lots of alchohol in the evenings because it helps me blot out the symptoms and seems to relax my chest and stomach - the next day is always hell though...

I have been to the doctor and, being in the UK, they don't take you seriously and convince you that you are just anxious. Of course I am!..but that is not what is causing this!!!

Somebody must know what is going on or what I should do - it's ruining my life, my job, my relationship because I have no energy and my boyfriend can't understand why I won't sleep in the same room as him - when I do, he is sweet but is also starting to think my habits are disgusting. Can one blame him?

I can't cope - I don't mind the bloating but the breathing difficulties are starting to make me go insane...when I'm gasping for breath, I'm convinced it's my last and I can't concentrate on anything else.

Thanks...xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 11:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
You could be experiencing gerd or ibs or both?

------------------

Old 08-28-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
Inactive

KJM HB User
I have a lot of symptoms you're talking about, but I've had them long enough not to be that anxious. It's just very frustrating. My GERD causes a lot of throat problems - shortness of breath, strangling sensation, nighttime choking, coughing, etc. I've also have had a lot of stomach problems lately with bloating, pain, etc. You're not alone. You're not going crazy. (Although thinking about the problems can make them seem worse. Try to relax knowing others are going through it too.) If you continue to have breathing problems at night and you were diagnosed with reflux, you might want to get checked by an ENT as well.

Old 08-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
Inactive

KJM HB User
What kind of swallowing problems are you having?

Old 08-28-2003, 11:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Do you have any heartburn?As for the problem of swallowing,do you feel like theres a lump there?Or somethings stuck.If so it could be symptoms of gerd.Gerd seems to be a multiple symptom disease or maybe sometimes just one symptom.It can minmic gall bladder disease sometimes.

------------------

Old 08-28-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Hi,
I would get your thyroid checked. Some of your symptoms could be due to hypo/hyper thyroid.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Also seriously see a gastro. If you have severe GERD you will get some of these symptoms. I have had worse breathing problems over the past few months, all due to GERD. Once I started Prevacid it took the edge off the stomach spasms, difficulty breathing, etc. I am having an endoscopy in two weeks to confirm this but believe me GERD can really make you feel horrible.

Closed Thread