It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 07:32 PM   #1

leslie01 HB User
Unhappy Pain in Ab, off to right side.....about to give up hope. Please Help!

I am 24 years old. Never have really watched what I ate, but am an avid runner. About 2 weeks ago I got abdominal pains that wouldn't go away. They first just started in the center upper abdominal area, but now are more off to the right side. I have had a CT Scan, Upper GI, Small Bowl Series, Ultrasound on the Gallbladder....and ALL have come back normal. I was told that the ultrasound would only test for gallstones, not for functionality of the gallbladder. I'm wondering what test needs to be done to check for functionality?

The pain started semi-weak, and over the last week intensified so bad that I was in bed on pain pills. Now it has lessened again, but it won't go away completely. I can't run or do anything active. When I eat, I feel sooo full. I cannot really pinpoint it, but some foods make the pain worse. Sometimes I even wake up in the mornings hurting pretty bad. My stomach is bloated and I am not able to hold it in. And one of the biggest things that confuses me is that the pain is mostly there when I'm standing up. When I'm sitting or lying down, it somtimes almost completely goes away.

I am just curious if anyone knows what else it may be causing this pain? I am very frustrated at this point...I just want to feel normal again.
I have had previous surgeries on my ovaries, then had an issue with scar tissue on my intestines. They have ruled out any such problems this time.

Pleas offer any suggestions!
Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #2

M. Dragoo HB User
Hi. Well they can do a test called a Hyda Scan on the gallbladder. They watch how it works and during the second part of the test they give you a hormone and it can possibly make you have an attack right there on the table. They then ask you how similar it is to the pain you have at home. Your Dr. gets the results in a few days. I know this b/c I had one about 2 weeks ago. My results came back normal but I'm still having pain under my right ribs, bloating, constipation, gas and lots of burping. My ultrasound was normal also. My Dr. now says I could have something called H Pylori it causes ulcers in your stomach. I'm not sure at this point though. Still think its probably my gallbladder and that sure sounds like your problems also. I will let you know if I find out anything about myself that could help you out. Hang in there. I know how frustrating it can become.

Let me know if you hear something new.

P.S. I'm in Plano.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM   #3

leslie01 HB User
I've read about H Pylori and it causing ulcers. But I don't have any kind of burning feeling, which I thought was normally associated with stomach ulcers....do you?
And I guess they would have seen an ulcer on my Upper GI.

Also, I don't have my appendix...they took it out during another surgery years ago.

Let me know how yours turns out and if they find anything.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:23 PM   #4

M. Dragoo HB User
Yes my stomach does burn. They way they test for H. Pylor is by doing an endoscopy. I havent done it yet. I'm not sure if they would show up on an upper gi.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

debdaniel HB User
Get the scan asap. I had the pains. The ultrasound and endoscopy were all fine. It was only after a trip to ER that I had the scan. This confirmed the gall bladders was not functioning. Had surgery the next week and felt great immediately. The surgeon said it was very inflammed.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:49 PM   #6

BrokenProsthetic HB User
Well im no doctor, but MAYBE, maybe its just that you need have a bowel movement soooo bad that your just blocked up all the way up near your lower abs..just a thought.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
You said:

The pain started semi-weak, and over the last week intensified so bad that I was in bed on pain pills. Now it has lessened again, but it won't go away completely. I can't run or do anything active. When I eat, I feel sooo full. I cannot really pinpoint it, but some foods make the pain worse. Sometimes I even wake up in the mornings hurting pretty bad. My stomach is bloated and I am not able to hold it in. And one of the biggest things that confuses me is that the pain is mostly there when I'm standing up. When I'm sitting or lying down, it somtimes almost completely goes away.

That almost exactly describes what is going on with me. My pain is located more in the middle abdomen with occasional pain under the right ribs. I have had 2 scopes, an abdominal ct scan, lower gi w/ xrays, and lots of blood work. My doctor is now saying stress related which I have a hard time accepting. Why I can't accept it is because the pain gets worse when I eat, and I don't have to eat much to feel full. Also, when I lie down the pain almost goes away. If it was stress, it seems that the pain would be just as bad lying down. Let me know if you figure out what is wrong with you please!

Old 08-08-2003, 08:07 AM   #8

leslie01 HB User
Brokerprosthetic: My bowel movements have been normal, even diaherria (sp?) at times. But that was my first thought as well.

Actudan:
I have updates. I went to my doctor again Wed. He reviewed all of the tests with me that I have had...upper GI, small bowl series, ultrasound on gallbladder, CAT Scan, and blood work. Everything appeared normal EXCEPT my blood work showed that I was extremely anemic. That is just not me at all. I eat everything in sight and have no reason to be anemic. He told me that something is causing me to be anemic. He thinks I may have colitus or Irritable Bowl Syndrone. He said that Colitus can cause anemia. I am still going to have a Hida Scan next week to check on the functionality of my gallbladder. If we can rule that out, I am being sent over to see a GI Doctor. He will likely have to do a Colonoscopy.

I asked my doctor if Colitus or IBS can cause the pain and symptoms I have been having. He said that either of those can be extremely painful and "make your life hell".

Have you had a Hida scan to test the functionality of your gallbladder? You may want to look into checking out your Colon if all other tests check out clear. I'm only 24 and am shocked to think I may have colon problems, but I'm just ready to find out already.
However, I am back to normal again now. I even went for a 3 mi run this morning....first time in 3 weeks. I guess it was just a two week attack. I'm still going to proceed with all the tests so maybe I can prevent it all from happening again. I was MISERABLE!
Keep me posted on any results from you. Hope you start feeling better!

Old 08-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
leslie01,

I have not considered a Hida Scan yet. I think a colonoscopy is the next test to be performed. I am getting so frustrated. I really hate how my doctor wanted to label my problem as stress before all test have been exhausted. I have alos been told that I may have IBS. I am on Librax which is an antispasmodic medication but I don't think it's doing anything. I am also an avid runner but have not been able to do much for the last 3 months. Right now I have discomfort but I am able to function. I just want all tests performed to give me the right diagnosis, then I will deal better with whatever I have. Glad to hear that you are doing good right now. Maybe whatever you had is gone.

Old 08-28-2003, 03:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Leslie01 have you ever have an endoscopy, ever been tested for h.pylori?

------------------

Closed Thread