It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 10:07 PM   #1

msbeepbeep HB User
Post GERD symptoms and prevacid...please advise

I posted my child's whole LONG story on this board and have not gotten any responses...probably because it was too long a post!!! So, I will try to be brief here:

He just had an endoscope of the esophagus and the good news is that it looks great...no damage evident but, we are waiting for the biopsy results now. He (31/2 yo) has been on prevacid for 3 months and we have done ALL the lifestyle changes...eats before 5pm, bed propped up, no fried/acidic/chocolate/caffeine foods. He is now symptom-free but, had previously been coughing every night with the reflux and, before we made these changes, also had lots of hiccups, burping, saying "my throw up is coming up but, I swallowed it." So, it seems that the treatment is working.

My question is: Since he is on the prevacid, we thought we could let him have some of his favorite PIZZA occassionally but, when we tried it the other day, he had symptoms similiar to those he did before treatment...and even developed a watery sounding congested cough which I assumed was something he aspirated from the reflux. Does the prevacid prevent reflux or just neutralize the acid so there is no damage to the esophogus? The gastro dr. said that we will be able to stop the prevacid since there is no damage...but, does that mean that we will have to keep these diet restrictions forever...I hate to think we can never let him have any chocolate or pizza on special occassions (not everyday like he did last May when his school had pizza parties 8 out of 10 days in a row which is when he developed these symptoms).

By the way, my son NEVER had any problems with reflux or vomiting or stomach problems of any type before this.

Any wisdom?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2003, 03:18 AM   #2

cs67 HB User
I am an adult and have had acid stomach problems since high school. At first I managed to control the pain with antacids (Zantac was best), but the last few years it didn't work anymore.

Following an endoscopy my doctor diagnosed GERD and pretty much told me that it's a "mechanical" problem (that the piloric valve doesn't close properly) and will therefore never heal.

Have you considered doing a gastroscopy or is he too young? That way the doctor can see directly what the problem is.

By the way, I am eating some "bad" foods in moderation (including pizza, chocolate, coffee etc.) and I have noticed that sleeping elevated makes a big difference.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, as your son is very young and his body definitely has much more capacity for healing itself than an adults'.

Closed Thread