It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 09:45 AM   #1

prostator HB User
Post Could someone point me to a list of meds that relax the LES?

Hi guys. I did a search of these boards and the web too but I couldn't really find what I was looking for. I was wondering if anybody has or could point me to a comprehensive list of medications that relax the lower esophageal sphincter. Thanks a lot, and I hope everyone's doing well.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:59 AM   #2

NoleInOrlando HB User
If I'm not mistaken, Nitroglycerin is given to reduce esophogeal spasm.

I don't know about you, but that drug scares me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 09:37 AM   #3

prostator HB User
The reason I asked is because I just discovered that Xanax, which I have been taken to help me through this ordeal, actually reduces the tone of a the LES. Catch 22, eh? Same thing with certain anti-depressants, apparently. Also, I took Ditropan XL for urinary problems for close to 6 months - it is an anticholinergic which I know reduces LES tone. I suspect it had something to do with my problems. Anyway, I'll keep looking for more. Later.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Stupid me, when i thought the problem i was having was esophageal spasms i did research on it .Yes nitroglycerin happened to be mentioned on the site.They also use it for ppl who have suffered a heartattack or have other heart related problems.

------------------

Old 08-28-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
(male)

starling80 HB User
Question

suzyshop1...what did you end up having? I swear I'm having light esophageal spasms, too. Light fluttering behind the breastbone, or feeling that food is having trouble going all the way down, that is worse when I drink hot/cold beverages or 2-3 hours after a meal...even if I've taken my Zantac 75.

Old 08-29-2003, 06:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Starling at first i had intermittant pain on the breastbone.A slight discomfort.Then it progressed to a gnawing , sometimes sore like pain.Then the pain came and stayed 24/7.So i figured it probably wasnt esophageal spasms.Dont think you can have that constantly.Pain got so bad i had to go to a gastro doc.He did a endoscopy and biopsy it came back positive for h.pylori. I have gerd and ibs and both those diseases can have similar symptoms.My meds control the acid but nothing so far has controlled the pain at the breastbone.I think that either the antibiotics didnt kill the bacteria, or they might have given me gastritis.Im about to try a natural remedy that harry recommended.I will post when i start this and if it works.There are ppl on this board who have been down the antibiotic path with no remission of symptoms.Do you ever experience any heartburn?I hope and pray that you arent in the beginning stages of what im experiencing now .Its pure misery having these pains and the doctors telling what its nottttt.

------------------

Closed Thread