It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2003, 02:40 PM   #1

Christi602 HB User
Unhappy Had to go to the hospital last night...please help...anyone!

I woke up last night at 3 a.m. with shooting (not cramping) pain right beneath my breastbone. Almost in the top-center of my stomach. I NEVER have had this kind of pain before and felt perfectly fine when I went to bed. My husband rushed me to the hospial and I had a 100.7 temp. and the shooting/stabbing pain was so bad that it took my breath away.
The doctor diognosed me with acute-gastronitis. I think I'm getting an ulcer....not scute gastronitis. I had three different doctors check me and all they did was x-ray my stomach. Does anyone know what could be wrong with me???
I just started taking Protonix about 2wks. ago for GERD...do you think this could be a GERD ulcer OR even worse could this be that Hi-Pylori??? I'm so upset and I need advice...the more I get upset the more acid I keep making in my stomach.
My temp. is now gone and the pain is just dull.
I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice. THANK YOU!!

Old 08-30-2003, 09:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Christi,
The symptom of severe pain just below the breastbone is that of a hiatal hernia but you don't have fever with that--- also you don't have fever with GERD.
In extreme cases of gastritis you could run a low grade fever because gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining. But, to cause a fever you would have to be very--very inflamed. Also, you don't have sudden sharp shooting pains. You can get pains where you cannot sleep or are very uncomfortable.

A hiatal hernia that is in spasms or cramping is very painful and will produce sharpe pains. That is the place where you esophagus-- stomach and diaphragm all come together with many nerves that can transmit pain.

I hope they checked your pancreas. I don't know much about it but it is located mid-way between the bottom of the breastbone and belly button.

God Bless---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

LouAnn53 HB UserLouAnn53 HB User
Re: Had to go to the hospital last night...please help...anyone!

I have gone to the hosp. twice for the same condition that you have. Both time they sent me home because my blood work was good. I have had constant pain for three months. Two days ago I had an endoscope and an ultrasound done. The endoscope showed an inflamed stomach and an irritated esophogus. I have been on nexium for a year and they just switched me to Protonix. I am in CONSTANT pain. They also did an ultrasound, but don't know the results of that yet. Your are the first person that I found to say that her pain was high up in the abdomen. High up between the breast bone is where my pain is, dead center. It hurts so much. All I do is cry. I can;t seem to get any kind of relief. I take protonix, maalox, brioski, pepto bismal, you name it I take it. I am so tired of this. Let me know how you are feeling.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
(female)

boobear6087 HB User
Re: Had to go to the hospital last night...please help...anyone!

I will agree with Harry on this.....if the pain is in the top center (the soft area right between and just below your breasts)....it sounds like a hernia. I have one and at times it will hurt so bad, feels like a heart attack. Stress can make it flare up or if I drink alcohol. Other than that, my doesn't bother me much.

They found mine when they did an upper GI (which is just simply drinking some chalky stuff and doing an xray).

Last edited by boobear6087; 10-01-2005 at 09:32 AM.

Closed Thread