It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 07:01 PM   #1

bronti HB User
Post I'm back, still in pain & frustrated !

I posted here several weeks ago. I am still having burning/gnawing pain in my abdomen (also tender to touch exterior & bloating) upward to middle of breasts and underneath right breast, also lower/upper back ache. My gastro, determined I had acid reflux & hiatal hernia and gallbladder wasn't functioning properly. She sent me to the Surgeon who read all my test results & wasn't convinced that my gallbladder needed to be removed. In fact portions of the report she didn't understand ! So she gave me a script for Donotal Extend-tabs said she was going on vacation for 2 wks and sent me for bloodwork. I was to return upon her return. I've been taking the script eversince. The first 3/4 days I felt much better, but as each day passed I was getting the old symptoms back again. Saw her again, blood work okay (liver/thyroid), she looked at the same reports as before and said she'd have to talk to the dr. that wrote the reports and physically see my films for herself. She examined various areas of my abdomen (pressing) and the most painful was the sphincter ( middle of breasts, under breast bone) and a little less painful under right breast bone. She said the mid-area was hiatal hernia. Anyway, she has to see my films and talk to the doc and now she has added Nexium to my list. I took those 2 days and both days I was so sick I stayed in bed. I quit them. I was originally on Protonix, it did nothing for me. So now I'm at least out of bed w/pain and back to the Donotol only. I'm also not thrilled w/the "vision" side effect they produce. The first morning I woke up, it was as if I was on the beach w/ brand new contacts (BRIGHT). Do any of you have any info or advice you can offer me? I am so sick, of being sick. I want to feel like my old self again. I'm so frustrated, I just don't know what to do.
To Harry, I did get the pro-biotics you suggested and have been taking them. I haven't noticed any improvement. Any other suggestions, maybe ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
TIA,
I guess you are taking PB-8 or Primal Defense. These are to rebalance your intestinal bacteria that if out of balance could cause bloating and pain but usually not in the upper abdomenal area but sometimes. Just make sure you take them on an empty stomach--- they work better!!! Eating yogurt may also help.

The bloating as well as pain can be caused by intolerance to wheat or dairy products. They are the two foods that most people have problems with??? You could try stopping one or both for a few days and see what happens???

The pain the area you describe can also be cause by muscle spasms/ cramps and the best thing I have found for that is a homeopathic remedy --- Magnesia Phos. You can buy it a most health food stores. It's a very common remedy.

My wife has used it for about 20 years for spasms associated with hiatal hernia as well as diaphragm. This is certainly worth a try. She does not leave home without a bottle in her purse. There is nothing that I know of that regular Medicine uses that is as good for all types of muscle spasms or cramping.

The bottle I'm looking at says for "Menstrual Cramps". I gave a bottle to a male friend the other day that had periphial neuritis. He lauged but took it and it signicantly helped his pain in just 2 doses. His pain was on both sides of his breast bone but were really radiated from his back muscles that were pinching nerves.

Let us know how you make out??

God Bless---Harry

Old 08-29-2003, 11:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Bronti have you been tested for h pylori bacteria?It can cause a gnawing sometimes burning sore pain under the right or left breast on the ribcage.I have that gnawng sensation 24/7 now.

Old 08-30-2003, 05:16 AM   #4

bronti HB User
Harry,
Yes, that is what the surgeon said, that I was MOST spasmatic at the sphincter location and slightly less towards right, gallbladder area. I will go to the health food store today, thanks for the suggestion.
I am desperate now, for some sort of relief from this gnawing pain. I have even thought that maybe some of my ongoing meds may have caused all this. I take Altace, Toprol XL (blood pressure) and Kolonopin for panics attacks (stress/anxiety) on a regular basis and have for a couple of years. Doc's are aware of my meds.
OR is it possible this awful pain could be stress-related only ????
Suzy, I thought the last blood work-up they did covered that H-pylori, it was for liver thyroid. I'm not even clear as to what it is/or testing procedures. I've had every other test, endoscopy,colonoscopy,ultra-sound and countless blood workups. The reason for that was, for the past year, my white blood count has been slightly on the high side. Doc has been monitoring it.

Old 08-30-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I understand your pain even though I am still having tests ran to exclude things. The only two tests that I have scehduled are a HIDA scan and colonoscopy. If those two check out negative, I don't know what I am going to do. I had a abdominal ct scan but I could have an MRI but I think a ct scan of the abdomen is just as good as an mri if not better since there are no bones in the way. Anyway, I am trying the natural approach now with a licensed nutrtionist so hopefully this will help out. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2003, 11:59 AM   #6

bronti HB User
Acudan, thanks for responding, Good Luck to you. I failed to mention that I've also had a hidescan which wasn't very pleasant. Also, during the ultra-sound, when the tech rubbed that instrument over my painful areas, it hurt so much, I wanted to scream. So far the MD's don't have an answer for me, get's frustrating !

Old 08-31-2003, 03:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Bronti for years ive been having a gnawing pain off and on, under my right breastbone on my ribcage.The doctor told me and h.pylori infection can cause that kind of pain.I was tested for it and it turned up positive.At the time my esophagus and stomach were slightly inflamed too.They put me on antibotics for it ,but the same exact symptoms returned.Now i dont know what the problem is.I have gerd and ibs, but ive had these for years.This pain only started when i was diagnosed with gerd.The second gastro doc thinks the pain is connected to the ibs.Are you under alot of stress?The docs have done the standard tests for gall bladder disease but everything is negative.Its like there running out of ideas because the gnawing pain is the only symptom i have.Wish mine was my gall bladder at least then ive have some kind of answer.Keep us posted with you results.Take care

------------------

Closed Thread