It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

enigma3 HB User
Protonix vs. OTC

Does anybody know whether or not Protonix is as effective as something OTC, such as Prilosec for ulcers/gastritis?

I am wondering because I am positive that my ulcers/gastritis has come back again (I am having discomfort across my stomach -above my belly-button, and pain that comes and goes on my upper left side.. oh, and definite nausea off and on for a week or so now). Anyway, I was first diagnosed with an ulcer three years ago, and I noticed the same symptoms start up back in Jan./ Feb. of this year, so (thanks to the help of this board ), I decided to self-medicate with Prilosec, since I read that it helped people with gastritis and ulcers. I took it for the two weeks it said to take it for, and it made me feel like brand new.. I could really tell the difference.

Now that it has been about 3 months since I last took it, my symptoms seem to have returned. I was considering going to see my PCP, but I am almost afraid it would be all for nothing because the last time I saw him, he laughed at me out loud when I told him that I had recently been diagnosed with Lupus (I was seeing him for only the second time ever, and he hadn't even looked at my chart when he came in the room to see me.. I know because he came right out of one door next to me where he was talking w/ another patient, and proceeded directly into my room after the other door shut). So needless to say, he is a complete jerk, and needs to retire before he makes other people who are truly ill (such as myself) feel like they are idiots for being there.

So.. anyhow, I am hoping others have had success with Prilosec (or something else) just as much as Protonix, or if anybody knows how they compare.
Thanks for any info.,

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow Re: Protonix vs. OTC

Lisa,
Prilosec is a PPI just like Protonics. Prolosec went off patent and now OTC and is alot cheaper and many people think it's just as good and effctive.

With your ulcer were you diagnosed with the H.pyloi bacteria and if so how were you treated to get rid of the bacteria??

God Bless~~~Harry

Old 07-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
(female)

enigma3 HB User
Re: Protonix vs. OTC

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the reply.

I do remember being discharged from the ER where I was first seen three years ago with some sort of antibiotic (along with Protonix), but I can't seem to remember what kind it was. I do know that they never tested for H Pylori though, they just went on the symptoms I was having (severe pain and nausea were the main ones).

I read a lot about H. Pylori back in February, when my stomach troubles started again, and I really had to wonder if that might be the cause. It sounds likely considering how common it is. Again, thanks to all the great advice on this board, I went out and bought myself some Mastic Gum (this was before I had even tried the Prilosec). I took it faithfully for about a week and a half, and noticed some improvement, but could tell the problem was still there.. still had some nausea off and on, as well as major stomach bloating, and mild discomfort. So, that was when I tried the Prilosec, and had great success.

So, as of tonight, I decided my game plan will be to start on what I have left of the Mastic Gum, since I remember reading in an article that it is effective in killing of H Pylori. Also, thanks to your info., I decided Prilosec seems like a good bet again as far as needing a PPI, so I am planning to go buy some tomorrow.

Do you know if the Mastic Gum is okay to take w/ the Prilosec? Maybe I should stop it until I am done with that? I am wondering if maybe I will need more of the Mastic to get rid of the H Pylori?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks again for your help.. whatever info.you have..

Lisa

Closed Thread