It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #1

prostator HB User
Post Can ONE MEAL do you in for good?

This sounds kind of stupid but I'm wondering what you people think. I had numerous GERD associated problems (I've described them a lot on this board, won't get into that again). On Aug 2 I started taking Prevacid and it helped a great deal. I can't remember exactly how I felt but for one week I felt so much improved that any symptoms I did still have were negligible. Then, thinking the problem had cleared up, I ate some Taco Bell one day. Minutes after I finished it, my symptoms flared up again - and have not returned to normal since. At most, I thought maybe the Taco Bell would give me some slight indigestion - I've eaten it MANY times before with no problems, no heartburn, whatsoever. Is it possible that ONE MEAL could cause an irreversible change in the course of my symptoms? These symptoms are causing a lot of problems for me now and if the rest of my life hinges on the decision of one meal,I could kill myself. I mean the way I see it, once the food passes through your system, that should be it, right? Any problem should be temporary. I wouldn't even be considering this except for the fact that my symptoms returned within just minutes of eating the meal. And before that very meal, eating anything, even Taco Bell, had not made any change in my symptoms. Very frustrated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #2

shadepra HB User
I have found that my symptoms mysteriously come and go, just like you mention. I will feel great for weeks, then suddenly my stomach will start up again and won't stop no matter what I do. Then it will suddenly settle down again, and I can eat anything and feel fine. I've been trying to figure out what is going on for 2 years now. I know I have GERD, but it does come and go. Prevacid and Nexium only seemed to make things worse for me. I haven't ever been tested for the bacteria hypylori, but I'm beginning to suspect that is at the bottom of all this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 03:23 PM   #3

prostator HB User
Shadepra, I would definitely suggest getting tested for H Pylori. Could be the cause of what's going on. I almosted wanted to have it, because at least the treatment for that is supposed to be a cure. But I tested negative. I might even get tested again just to make sure, I've heard there can be false negatives. Either way I am beginning to agree with you that unless what you're talking about is straight out heartburn, the PPI's definitely are ineffective for a good deal of people (at least that's how it seems on these boards).

Old 09-01-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Shadepra what kind of symptoms are you having?

------------------

Old 09-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Prostator what kind of test did you have done,that the results turned up negative.Also what are your symptoms.I had h.pylori ,so i can tell you what symptoms i had.Then you can compare.

------------------

Old 09-01-2003, 04:29 PM   #6

shadepra HB User
suzyshop1, my symptoms are acid indigestion, belching, bloating, gas. Sometimes I only have the indigestion, which can start immediately after eating or several hours later, and occasionally gets bad enough to cause nausea.

Old 09-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #7

bluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB User
Prostator,
One meal won't do you in forever, but it can for a while. If you've irritated your stomach lining with the spicy food, EVERYTHING you eat will bother you until your stomach is no longer irritated. Give your system a rest because it's talking to you. Eat very light until you feel better.

Old 09-01-2003, 10:36 PM   #8

prostator HB User
Hey Suzy, my doctor told me that I tested negative for H. Pylori, but I am not sure whether he used my bloodwork or a biopsy from my endoscopy to determine it. I probably should ask about it. I have heard that the blood test is less reliable. My symptoms vary, but basically it always feels like something is stuck in my throat or upper chest, like a gas bubble or something. Sometimes the sensation is diffuse, other times it is very definite, like an object is in there. I have an on and off sore throat as well, and often sinus pain but i don't know if there's any connection there. The strange thing is that through all of this I have never had any real abdominal discomfort, even though endoscopy showed stomach ulcers. It's all been confined to the throat and chest. After that Taco Bell incident I did begin a bland diet. And a recent endoscopy has shown that my esophagus and stomach are healed. But symptoms remain, despite diet. I got frustrated today and ate pizza - needed to enjoy SOMETHING, if you know what I mean. Best of luck to all.

Closed Thread