It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Post Dangers of Endoscopy

Are there dangers in having an endoscopy. The GI doctor wants me to have one going down the mouth and the other up the rear end. She did not tell me about any dangers or any details about the procedure. She is asian but has practiced medicine for over 17 years.

I don't know if I trust her though.

Old 08-31-2003, 10:18 AM   #2

Gtpchic31 HB User
I had an upper endoscopy done last week. It was no big deal. My doc didnt tell me any dangers either, but he did say that it was a very easy and painless procedure. He was right. The only thing that bugged me was were they put the iv in my arm. other then that it was a breaze. I would rather have one of those again instead of a upper gi test

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Ditto for what the the last poster said about the ease of the procedure. I've had 7 of them done over the years and don't even feel anxiety any more when they're scheduled. Some people do have some troubles though, but many are just fine.

The only serious complications of the procedure (and this happens in less than 1% of people undergoing the test) is allergic reaction to the anesthesia or puncturing the esophagus or stomach lining during the procedure, but once again, THIS IS RARE! Do not cancel the test just because of potential side effects - your GI issues will not go away by avoiding test procedures.

Your doctor has been in practice many years, but find out how many actual endos she has done - the more the better. After that much time in practice, she should have performed several hundreds of them and be proficient. But if you have any doubts find someone you trust. I trust my GI doc completely (he's actually a general surgeon, but does many endos & colonoscopies weekly), which really eases any fear I might have.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how things go,
Katie G

Closed Thread