It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #1

Marbles HB User
Unhappy Hi new here.GB probs

Hi all
Seems that after 18 months of pain and discomfort and being told it's just back ache i found a nice doctor who sent me for a scan only to find out that i have a GB full of stones. She agreed with me that i should have it removed as it looked like a big bag of marbles. Problem is things move slow in the UK and it could be months before i have it removed.I have been put on a low fat diet and haven't had a bad attack of pain for 4 weeks. Painkillers don't seem to work when the pain really bad any ideas on controlling the more painful attacks??
Thanks
Marbles

[This message has been edited by Marbles (edited 09-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Marbles (edited 09-03-2003).]

Old 09-03-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I have been having trouble for about four months now but the ultrasound didn't show any gallstones. I am sceduled for a HIDA scan next week. I don't even know if it's my gallbladder but I am running out of tests. My pain is primarily under my right ribs with pain at times shooting to my back. For the first time since this has started, I had to take painkillers last weekend. I took fioricet which is a barbituate w/ tylenol. It worked pretty good but I started itching like craxy later that night. The doctor told me that it was probably a reaction to the drug. I also have hydrocodone but I haven't taken any yet. However, I took hydrocodone when I had a hernia last year and it worked pretty good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Also, could you elaborate on your symptoms? And would others that read this post tell me what your symptoms were if you had gallbladder problems but nothing showed on the ultrasound? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

berza HB User
the four days before i had my GB removed were exruciating and i found that by lying on my right side with my right arm under my head and a heating pad on my side the pain lessened. call your doctor and find out the maximum dosage of pain killers you can take. the labels only give you suggested dosage, your doctor can tell you how much your body can handle and it should help the pain greatly.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:50 PM   #5

carebear73 HB User
Hi actudan. I have had the same happen to me. Got an ultrasound that showed nothing abnormal. I finally ended up having a hida scan which revealed no stones but that my gallbladder did not fill up at all. I am having it removed sometime this month. My symptoms are major abdominal pain, diarreah, headache, nausea, chills, right sided back and shoulderblade pain, sometimes a dull ache around where my gb is, and belching like crazy! I feel extremely tired after getting any of the symptoms. I don't usually get them all together .. one or the other .. or a couple at a time. It can affect me anywhere from while I am eating to about 30 min after I eat. I am scared to eat now because if I don't eat I don't get the pain. It's not the best attitude to have but what else do you do? I have cut out virtually all fat and caffeine and alcohol as well. I am getting a little sick of plain salad and rice cakes though.. :-)

Old 09-03-2003, 10:47 PM   #6

Marbles HB User
my symptoms started as lower right back pain that slower got worse over a couple of hours. this went on for about eight months and would happen once or twice a week. then the attacks didn't happen so often but these attack were worse. It still started with the back pain which can last over a day and then the pain moves to the right side of my stomach this can also last a few days.

[This message has been edited by Marbles (edited 09-04-2003).]

Old 09-04-2003, 06:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Thanks for the info. My pain and nausea never go away. I hope the HIDA scan reveals something because I am running out of tests. I don't want anything to be wrong with my gallbladder because I really don't want surgery but I also want something found and treatable. Don't get me wrong, if it happens to be my gallbladder, I will say yank that sucker out cause I can't go living like this forever.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #8
(female)

carol thomas HB User
Hi -

I have posted here before, as I, too have gallstones. They were revealed during ultrasound, though subsequent HIDA scan did not show any problem with the functioning of the GB itself.

I first had the ultrasound because of what was likely a 2+ hour severe stabbing abdominal pain attack a few months ago, unrelated to eating, by the way. The GI doc who had done a routine colonoscopy (nothing found there), suggested that with the combo of likely GB stone passage causing major pain, AND the fact that the stones are clearly in the GB, I should have an immediate GB removal.

Well, I figured I should be sicker before submitting to surgery, and wanted to wait until at least the fall, anyway, so have made the best of things.

Some of my symptoms, or likely symptoms, are: occasional indigestion/stomach pain; right-sided upper abdominal twinges/pains that come and go. LEFT-sided twinges too. One day I had left-sided twinges, was trying to "rub" them away, and in doing so that created pain in the GB region on the RIGHT side! Go figure!

I have NOT had the upper right back pain some describe; I HAVE had occasional pains exactly on my right side, near or above the waist.

The latest thrill was LEFT sided chest pains moving up into my shoulder and neck and down the left arm. It was not stabbing, but very hard to describe. It sounds like heart pain, but I KNOW the first few pains I felt were in the upper right abdominal area, near the GB; then everything changed and immediately moved to the left and up into the chest, etc.

I have read and heard that GB (and pancreas, etc.) can be major causes of chest pain that people mistake for heart pain. It's something about the nerves that control that entire region controlling what's going on in the chest, shoulder area as well.

So...despite the post-surgical problems many people have after GB removal, I will have to go for it soon and see how I feel afterwards.

I, too, am tiring of eating plain salads, etc., and would LOVE a good plate of Mexican food, or some excellent fried chicken, etc. I cut out so many things that I have lost 15 pounds! Actually, that's a good thing, but this is NOT the way I wanted to lose it. My internist says, "Oh, you put yourself on the gall bladder diet!" She is thrilled with the weight loss and said - lose 10 MORE pounds. If I don't have surgery soon, that will not likely be a problem

I have also had some problems with diarrhea, as have so many people here -- all of this has taken place over the past year, which seems to be about the length of time it takes people to get it figured out and decide to have surgery.

You probably do have GB problems -- as I've said, people experience different symptoms. Even if your GB is stone-free, that doesn't mean it isn't diseased/inflamed. Some people report that once it's out it is clear that the GB was very, very irritated.

Good luck with your situation!

Old 09-05-2003, 06:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi all. My symptoms started out as vague occasional pain under my right ribs after meals, frequent nausea, and eventually worsened to daily achy pain in the right ribs radiating to my upper back, SEVERE stabbing pain in the right ribs/back after or during a meal (even with bland foods or just water), nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, chills (due to chronic low grade fever), tenderness to touch in the GB area, fatigue/irritability, and just general feeling of illness all the time. This was with 2 "normal" ultrasounds and hida scans. However, the 2nd hida scan elicited a typical painful GB attack shortly after the injection of the CCK, and the tech & I actually saw the GB spasm on the monitor. It took about 2 hours for my GB to fill too, but the radiologist was only concerned with the ejection fracture so said my output was "normal." My surgeon felt it was my GB all along, and sent me for a 2nd opinion just to confirm his suspicions, and I was scheduled for surgery immediately.

Turns out my GB was severely inflamed and covered in scar tissue.

Good luck to you all - my heart goes out to those suffering needlessly.

Katie G

Closed Thread