It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

savanannastar HB User
Question Barium swallow

Hi everyone going for a barium swallow in 2 days can anyone tell me what to expect and should i stop taking my nexium?

Old 08-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Don't know about the nexium, call your physician and ask whether you should stop.

The Upper GI, I assume is what you mean by the barium swallow, right? It's rather chalking tasting with a vanilla flavor, and it's not that uncomfortable, just kind of yucky for a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Its been awhile since i had one done.If i remember correctly,you have to drink this chalky liquid.As your drinking it they will be taking an xray and watching it go down you throat.When i had it done i was standng up.I believe that they told me not anythng by mouth after 12 midnight.Hope this helps.

------------------

Old 08-19-2003, 04:58 AM   #4
cheribe

Hi
I don't remember what they told me to eat or not eat before mine, but they had me lay down after drinking chalky stuff and they took the pictures and watched the stuff regurgitating into my esophagus, also took pictures while I stood,,,, they found my GERD and my hiatal hernia with this procedure. Was the most pleasant of my stomache procedures thus far,,, the nurse told me to go home and drink A LOT and take milk of magnesia to avoid getting impacted bowels from the barium that you drink. She said that the new barium they use now isn't supposed to do that, but that her dad had had the procedure done, the tech told him he didn't need to make sure his bowels stayed loose for a day, and he got impacted bowels. I drove myself to and from the hospital, this procedure was a breeze for me.
Cherib

Old 08-19-2003, 06:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi there. Ditto for what everyone's said so far. I thought the barium stuff was gross, and almost made me gag because they may ask you to "chug" it too to watch how the esophagus handles it. There's really no prep involved except not eating/drinking so many hours before, but I will say I felt quite nauseous all day after drinking the stuff.

Be sure to drink plenty of liquids afterwards to keep it moving through the bowels. Your stool may also be white or chalky for a few days after as you clean it out of your system.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 08-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #6
(female)

savanannastar HB User
Talking

Thanks guys i'll let you know what happens.

Old 08-21-2003, 10:14 AM   #7
(female)

savanannastar HB User
I got the barium swallow done not too bad Im not sure how that test is going to show acid reflex?I dont have a doctors appt for 3 weeks so i guess i wont know results till than.Thanks

Old 08-25-2003, 06:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Savanannastar,the barium swallow test is a xray used to examine(stomach,esophagus and small intestine.Those organs are usually not visible on xrays.You have to swallow liquid barium to temporarily coat the organs to be seen on and xray.Its used to diagnose cancers,ulcer problems,narrowing of the esophagus.Also some causes of inflammation of the intestines and swallowing problems.

------------------

Old 08-25-2003, 06:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
PS. it was also the very first test i had done that proved i had acid reflux disease.

------------------

Old 08-25-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
Inactive

NikkisNYmom HB User
Hi Suzy :-)

I have a question - has anyone had a CTSCAN of the pelvis and abdomen? What is this barrium thing you guys are talking about? I also want to know if this CTScan is anywhere near what an endoscopy is. I mean as helpful. They told me I had to drink a liquid before the scan too.

Old 08-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
NikkisNYmom,

I had an abdominal ct scan recently. I had to drink barium about two hours before the exam and immediatlety before the exam. The barium is a thick chalky liquid that contains an ingredient that can be seen with xrays. A ct scan is different from a endoscope. An endoscope is where a camera tube is inserted through your mouth and goes down through your throat to your stomach. This lets the doctor get a great view of your throat, stomach and duodenum. If anything legions or suspicious areas are seen, they will be biopsied. You will be slightly or fully sedated depending on your doctor. I don't think there is a better test for looking at your throat and stomach.

The ct scan is a machine that will take 1000s of xray slices of the area being scanned. The slices are fed into a computer and the computer puts the slices together to give an image. The scan is a good test for multitudes of things (pancreatitis, inflammation, tumors, gallstones (not particular great at this), and much more). The scan is great at looking at tissue such as your organs. Also, the scan may require an iodine be injected through iv to give a better picture (this is called ct w/ contrast). Some people may have a reaction to the iodine but it is rare. The barium gave me bad cramps and diarrhea but it passed after about 6 hours.

Old 08-27-2003, 05:37 AM   #12
Inactive

NikkisNYmom HB User
Hi Actudan,

Thanks for all the info :-)You sure know your stuff !

I knew the differences in procedure, my hubby has Hiatal Hernia that was detected by the Endoscopy.

I just wanted to know if the endoscopy is a BETTER way to find things than a CTScan. I guess I am wondering if the CTScan I had is going to be ad "good" as an endoscopy would.

My Dr. didn't want them to do it with IV Contrast. He said I want them to inject NOTHING into you. I guess because I have H. Pylori or maybe an ulcer he doesn't want to do anything that would interfere with that diagnosis.

I don't know what happened but I haven't left the bathroom and I am not one to go often. I had the Barium at 1 pm till about 1:25. I had the Catscan at 2:00-2:30. I ate chicken soup - very little of it -homemade at 4:30 p.m. I hadn't eaten since 6 pm the night before I was starving. Then I had a sandwich with mortadella, a slice of tomato and a slice of American cheese. Oh my God the pain I got after that! I wanted to die. Then it calmed down and at 3 am I kept going to the bathroom. I don't know if it's total diarrhia that I had - it wasn't totally loose or watery but it was a painful urge to go. But I noticed it's been yellow the 4 times I went since 3 am including this morning. Should I be worried or is that causes by the Barium?

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2003, 07:18 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
NikkisNYmom,

You are wondering which one is better. I think to answer that is to know what you are looking for. For GERD, stomach ulcers, throat problems, duodenum problems, I would say that the endoscope is best because the doctor is looking right in you. For other areas, such as the liver, pancreas, kidneys, etc., the ct scan is better because an endocope cannot see those areas. Also, for h-pylori bacteria, the ct scan cannot tell you if you have an h-pylori infection. The scan may be able to see an infection but not what kind. The scope is best for that because the doc will biopsy any suspicious areas and have them tested. Basically both tests are good but one is better than the other depending on what you are looking for. At least that's my opinion. Do a internet search on the tests and you will find loads of info. You will also see there are a ton of things that a ct scan can find but nothing is 100%!

As for the barium stuff, I would call your doctor if it becomes too bothersome. That's what I did and I was told that the barium can cause bad cramping and diarrhea. I am having an upper gi barium follow through this Friday and I don't look forward to it because of the barium.

Hope that helps some. By the way, why are you being tested?

[This message has been edited by actudan (edited 08-27-2003).]

Old 08-27-2003, 12:01 PM   #14
Inactive

NikkisNYmom HB User
Hi Act,

I am being tested - meaning the ctscan because I told the dr. I don't feel right. It started with chest pains and dizzyness. He did the process of elimination and told me he thinks it's a stomach thing like ulcer or gastritis. He gave me Nexium and told me to take it until I saw him the following week to go over my blood tests. He tested for H. Pylori and it came out positive. He gave me PrevPac and told me to take it. The problem was I had a severe headache and nausea the night before that lasted from 4 am till 10 am. I went to his office and he saw me by 10:30 am. He told me not to take PrevPac yet if I feel so horrible. He said I don't think it's going to be necessary but let's do a catscan to make you feel better. He told me to continue with the Nexium until we see the results. I go see him tonight for the results.

If you are wondering how nervous I am - I am *&&%&&&&ing bricks right now being worried - haha.

I asked about the yellow stool because ever since 3 am I have been feeling like I have to go to the bathroom and when I do it's YELLOW - baby yellow. I called them today and they told me it could be the Barium and it would take upto 2 days to get rid of it or something like that. I am hoping that's all it is because when I did a search for yellow stool - what popped up was Pancreatic Cancer. So now you know why I am worried. No one would worry if all the searches led to positive answers.

I just hope that whatever it is - is so simple. One can always hope right?

Thanks for asking. How are you?

Old 08-27-2003, 02:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Nik,

Hopefully you have anything too serious. Since you have tested positive for h-pylori and are having pains (not feeling right) then you will need to be treated. A lot of people can have h-pylori infection and not even know it but when you have symptoms and test positive then you have to be treated. Yellow stools can be a sign of many things, what you eat, pancreas, ... Don't get too worked up until you know what you have (too bad I can't follow my own advice!).

As for me, I have had two scopes, a ct scan, abdominal ultrasound and lots of blood work and so far all I get is the stress dx. Though I was diagnosed with ulcers when my problems first started but they have been healed as seen on my last scope. I am scheduled for upper gi series on Friday and a HIDA scan next month. I will keep the board posted. I started taking Nexium this morning instead of Prevacid and I have felt somewhat better today but I take it with a grain of salt because I would need to see at least 2 weeks of not having any discomfort before I am happy (I have been having problems now going on 4 months).

I was jogging 6 miles every other day and weightlifting 5 days a week before this all happened. I also ate fairly well but I did like my fair share of beer on the weekend. Sucks how life can all of a sudden turn you upside down!

Closed Thread