It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
(male)

Josh_B HB User
My Gastritis is out of control.. :( What can I do???

My condition has worsened over the past 2 yrs, but it's almost unbearable now. Every meal I eat, my stomach blows up like a baloon...literraly like someone just stuck an air pump in me. Every morning I wake up, I have horrible stomach pains from extreme gas that I have to spend all day passing. I have to unbutton my pants EVERY time I sit down anywhere because my abdomen is so friggin bloated....Before I just dealt with it, but now this is becoming extremely LIFE altering. It's very disappointing and killing my spirits.

Is there anyone out there that can help me?? I have been to two gastro's and neither have even offered to help "fix" anything. They send me home with a laxative and anti-gas pill. Thats not what I want. I want this to go away forever!!

Somebody?

Last edited by Josh_B; 07-17-2006 at 10:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: My Gastritis is out of control.. :( What can I do???

Josh,
I think your bloating is caused by the friendly intestinal bacteria being out of balance and needs to be re-balanced.

When this happens to me, I stop all sugary foods including simple carbs and eat yogurt and take a probiotic supplement to help re-balance the friendly bacteria.

It has happened to me by drinking Gator Ade on an empty stomach when the friendly flora is not right.

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 06:25 AM   #3
(male)

Josh_B HB User

Hello Harry,

I was hoping you would respond. My only problem is, Yogurt hurts my stomach . I can't do any dairy or it tears me up. Is there any type of yogurt I can try that is low in lactose??

Also, something else i've been reading about that really scares me. Have you ever heard of "Megacolon". Here are some of the symptoms i've researched about it...

# Abdominal distention
# Failure to thrive
# Delayed to no passage of stool
# Bloating
# Constipation
# Diarrhea (usually with a foul odor)
# Diarrhea interspersed with bouts of constipation
# Impacted fecal matter visible in the rectum
# Unusually shaped stools (large, blunt, broken, cylindrical)

I have almost every one of those symptoms. And from what i've read, Megacolon can only usually be fixed with surgery.

I'm hoping all I have is bad gastritis, but now that i've stumbled on this info I just dont know anymore. I have almost every one of those symptoms, and the doc's are no help to me. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done, however I was told "everything is fine" yet when I went back and had someone review my chart from the hospital the doc wrote down that I had severe irritation in the stomach lining (which he didnt tell me about).

This really sucks, I do not wanna live life misreable because of this

Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Josh,

First of all yogurt is made with milk that contains milk sugar(lactose) but since the process is fermented --all of the of the milk sugar is used up by the bacteria and there should not be any lactose in the any yogurt except very --very little. But, some people are allergic even to that very small amount.
That is an allergic reaction not a lactose intolorance one.

I like and use Stonyfield Farm yogurt daily. There are others that are OK that I have bought at health food stores.

You should make sure that you intake enough fiber daily -- between 25 and 35 grams. It needs to be a combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber to have normal BMs.

Most people don't get enough soluble fiber in their diet. If you don't you could develop mega-colon. But the Doc that gave the colon exam should have seen a Mega-colon.

Also, you may be have problems with Gluten-- that causes Celiac disesese. Gluten is contained in all products that contain wheat, barley, rye and to a lesser extent oats. It can cause some of the problems you are having,

You may consider using Mastic Gum for gastritis.

Last edited by Harry; 07-18-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
(male)

Josh_B HB User

Harry, I appreciate your taking the time to discuss this..

I will try the Yogurt trick. Also, I have been relying off a fiber laxative (Like Metamucil) every morning for about the past 2 1/2 yrs. Could that have caused any problems irritating my colon? Without it, I couldn't produce good bowel movements so I really had no choice. Thought it was at least better than Ex-lax. I dont use it much anymore, unless I need to. (Maybe twice per month to get things moving)

Where can I get Mastic Gum? Is it a prescription deal? Or over the counter?

I just dont understand. EVERY morning = gas pains. After EVERY meal = bloated stomach. The only way I can keep the bloating down is to not eat, and i'm definately not going to starve myself!

Anyway, thanks for any other input you may have

-josh

Last edited by Josh_B; 07-18-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

josh,
Its not a matter of not eating -- it is what you eat now that is important!!

I have been taking psyllium -- the active ingredient in Medamucil for about 23 years twice daily-- I think it is a good fiber threapy-- certainly not a laxative that you can get hooked on!!

I think your bloating is caused by your Gastro bacteria that is out of balance. Yogurt will certainly help. Some brands use sweetener--- even corn syrup and yeast including candida thrive and feed on sugar-- read the labels to make sure you don't get one that contain more added sugars or sweeteners.

You need one with alot of Active Cultures. Also take a probiotic supplement -- some are better than others.

If the pH balance of your Gastro System gets out of balance for any reason (there are many reasons) the friendly bacteria --Lactobacilli -- cannot do their job to normally metabolize sugar and cannot thrive and this gives other yeasts/bacteria including candida a chance to get out of control and out of balance. It will cause bloating until you get it under control.

You may look up an anti-candida diet to see what foods you have to exclude until you get all these 400+ bacteria strains back in balance.

I buy Mastiac from my local Vitamin Shoppe but you can buy it online.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-18-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Post Re: My Gastritis is out of control.. :( What can I do???

josh--
Another thing to try!!
There is also a very good fermented milk drink that is loaded with many good bacteria culure strains is Kefir -- the best that I have found is an organic brand --Helious--

It really helps me when I have the cramping bloated feeling after eating--- I drink about 4 oz about 4 time in a day and really helps.
It was introduced in Asia about 1600 year ago -- no one really knows it origin but I but it at a local health food store. Many years before refrigeration.

Harry

Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #8
(male)

Stoney109 HB User

Harry,

i have bloating as well, not as often lately, but still it's there and pretty bad when it happens. i bought a candida cleansing product with the natural anti-candida things like caprylic acid, garlic, and a bunch of other stuff in it. think that will work any? i've been eating a lot of yogurt and acidopilus pills as well. only thing is im worried the candida pills might make the reflux worse.

Last edited by moderator4; 07-26-2006 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Repeating post is not needed.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Stoney,
I don't think the anti candida remedies will make acid reflux worse!

One thing that you could do for acid refux is raise the head of your bed 3 or 4 inches so acid does travel up your esophagus while you are sleeping or laying down-- that is one of the best things I have ever done for my acid reflux.

Harry

Closed Thread