It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 08:34 AM   #1

nofood HB User
Post Is this gerd? - - lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks

I have been having trouble swallowing for the past 6 weeks and have been mainly on liquids during this time. It feels like I have a ball of phlegm in my throat and everytime I tried to eat, food would get caught in my throat and it felt like my throat was tightening. Then when I tried to down it with water, the food felt like it was getting caught in my chest. I also had burning in the throat when I tried hot liquids or fruit juices. I also had really bad environmental allergies at the time with itchy throat and ears. First the doctor thought it was my allergies since I was having post-nasal drip, so I took allergy medication but I still was not able to eat. Then I had a barium swallow done which was normal. Then I was put on Pantoloc and it's been three weeks now with no real improvement. This past Friday, I saw a gastroenterologist and had a gastroscopy done which was also normal. I went to another clinic and they told me to try Losec which I have just started today. I am so frustrated because I don't seem to be getting any answers. I just want to be able to eat as I am so weak and am finding it hard to cope. I have also been sent to a neurologist who thinks this may be due a neurological problem so she has schedule an MRI in 3 weeks. The funny thing is that I get the throat tightening only when I try to swallow on the right side of my throat. It feels as if the tonsil area is obstrucing the passage of food and there is not enough room for food or fluids to pass on the right side. I have also seen an ENT who says everything looks ok.

Anyone else experience similar symptoms and what medication worked for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
I would get your thyroid levels checked. Hyperthyroid can cause weight loss and a feeling of something in the throat area.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:54 PM   #3

nofood HB User
I had my thyroid levels checked which are normal. The weight loss is definitely due to not eating. I will be having an MRI done next week and the dr will be setting up an appointment to have an esophageal motility test done. I will also be seeing an allergist tomorrow. I am so frustrated and very hungry. I need answers.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:04 PM   #4

surfgirls HB User
I lost 15 pounds over the course of 4 weeks. I had a constant feeling of nausea, but it wasn't in my stomach it was in my throat. Almost like a gag-reflex. I could not eat solid foods especially in the morning. I was put on Nexium, the doc thought it was gerd/reflux. It has helped, but sometimes I still get that feeling in my throat. I also had my thryoid checked, and it was fine. Hope you feel better.

Old 08-17-2003, 04:54 PM   #5

ballmom14 HB User
If you find an answer, let me know. I have the same problem on the left side of my throat. I thought it was tonsilitis or something. I had a difficult time swallowing. I did have the EGD done, and had damage to my esophagus because of GERD, and have had surgery and medication to fix it, but I still do experience that difficulty swallowing, and it feels exactly how you described it. My thyroid levels are also fine, and I have even had a laryngoscopy done to see if that was a problem.

Old 09-06-2003, 02:40 PM   #6

nofood HB User
It's now been 10 weeks of hell with swallowing problems. I had an MRI done which was normal and I also had a esophageal motility test which was normal. I've been taking the GERD medication for 6 weeks and now was told to double the dosage which I started to do yesterday. I saw an allergist who referred me to another ENT because of my complaint of trouble swallowing especially on the right side of my throat. The gastroenterologist prescribed Atavan for my anxiety, but I'm too afraid to take it. I know I have anxiety but it is due to the feeling of choking everytime I eat. I may decide to try taking it next week, but I'd rather get a definitive diagnosis of GERD than stress. It appears that when tests are negative, doctors point the problem to stress.

Closed Thread