It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 06:03 PM   #1

Lucie20 HB User
Unhappy Help please!

Hello, I've just found this board and I'm surprised how many people have the same problems as me.

I need some advice: I have been suffering with digestive problems for over 3 years now and my doctors still don't seem to really know what's wrong with me. I have been diagnosed with IBS and although I do have some symptoms of this (constipation, bloating, foul smelling stools, etc.) I do not think that this is the main problem.

I have acid in my stomach all the time, I can burp up air constantly but I get no relief and I also feel very nauseous most of the time too.
I have had an endoscopy which found burns in my stomach, I was put on various antacids for this (Nexium, Losec etc.) but none of them made me feel any better. I was told that bile was refluxing from my bowel into my stomach and I have been on Domperidone for over a year for this but it does not help much.
I have been tested for food allergies, celiac disease and had a 24 hour PH test, all of these came back normal and GERD has been ruled out.

After 3 years of this I'm going slightly crazy! To me, it seems strange that I have so much acid in my stomach but I don't respond to antacids, does anyone else have this?

Sorry for such a long post!

Lucie x

Old 09-07-2003, 06:55 AM   #2

nofood HB User
Lucie20, Have the doctors suggested that this may be stress-related. I know when they can't find anything physcially wrong, they may diagnose this as stress related. This may be the case for some people, but not always the proper diagnosis for others.

I am curious to find out how the 24hr PH test was for you. My gastro doc says if Losec doesn't work by the end of 8 weeks for me, he would like me to have the PH test done. The thought of having that tube down to my stomach for 24 hours scares me. It was bad enough having the esophageal motility test done with the same tube through my nose for 10 minutes. Does it definitely rule out GERD if levles of acid are normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2003, 12:11 PM   #3

Lucie20 HB User
Hello, I don't think they've ever mentioned stress before - could stress really make me feel this ill?

I was absolutely dreading the 24 hr PH test too but it was OK, more uncomfortable than anything else. I did gag a bit when the tube went down and after the tube was taken out the next day I had a little bit of a sore throat but that was about it.

Lucie x

Old 09-07-2003, 12:15 PM   #4

Lucie20 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by nofood:
Does it definitely rule out GERD if levles of acid are normal?
Sorry, forgot to answer this in my last post! I can only reply on my own experience and my doctor seemed to think that if the levels of acid were normal in the PH test then you definitely didn't have GERD.

Lucie x

Old 09-07-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lucie,
I just wrote a message about using Mastica to cure H.pylori and gastritis.

I suggest you try using Mastica along with a probiotic supplement. I had gastritis that regular PPIs didn't help but Mastica cured in 2 weeks. Both are OTC remedies.

I am a big believer in taking a water soluble fiber supplement to bulk up your stools and take a probiotic supplement for re-balancing the bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.

There is just not any test to determine if your friendly intestinal flora is out of balance--- only symptoms and many doctors don't believe in candida/yeast infections of the GI tract anyway. But, you certainly can get them other places --so why not the place where they primarily live???

I wish you well!!!
God Bless---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 09-07-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 03:27 AM   #6

Lucie20 HB User
Hi Harry,

Thank you for your reply. I haven't been diagnosed with H.pylori, my official diagnoses is: IBS and Reflux Gastritis. Would Mastika still be beneficial to me? Did you get any side effects from it?

Lucie x

Old 09-08-2003, 05:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Lucie,
I do not have any side-effects from taking Mastica.

When I take an antibiotic for anything even sinus infection, I seem to get gastritis so I take Mastica for several weeks and it works. I buy it online cheaper than from my Doctor's office.

I think in your case it's certainly worth a try!!!

Harry

Closed Thread