It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 06:49 AM   #1

Susiek415 HB User
Post Gallstone Advice

Hi

I'm new to this board and hope I can explain my issue well enough so you all can understand, and give me some advice.
Recently I found my self in the ER with adominal(mild) pain that I believe actually started in my groin, and settled in my right side. By the time I saw the ER doctor the pain was gone. The ER doctor ordered a chest and adominal xray, CT scan, bloodtest and urine analaysis(sp)(which when I left the hospital hadn't come back.) The ER doctor said he believes I have Gallstones(he didn't say how many.) He said I should go for a followup with my doctor. When I asked him what could be done he said I could have surgery. Well I looked up the surgery he recommended on the internet, and it is not reccommended for people who have asthma, which I do. I've heard that sometimes gallstones can be misdiagnosed, and I believe this might be the case with me........
Here's why
1.) A week before this I was having heartburn
2.) I hadn't eaten anything real heavy that day(6 oreo cookies)
3.) My doctor recently put me on singulair and then back on my regular medicine (accolate) because of an reaction
Is Heartburn one of the symptoms My heartburn went away with no aid of antacids.
I have an appoiment with my own doctor next Friday, but time sure seems to be crawling.....

[This message has been edited by Susiek415 (edited 09-12-2003).]

Old 09-12-2003, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I don't think heartburn has anything to do with gallstones. If gallstones are suspected, you need to have an ultrasound and possibly a HIDA scan. If stones are present, I believe your only options are surgery or help them pass. I believe something is giving (medicine?) to help them pass but passing them takes time (as long as 6 months) and passing them depends on the size. If they are too big, you won't be able to pass them. Most of this info is based on stuff I have read on the internet. You need to talk to someone who has had gallstones and your doctor should be able to provide you with a lot of info. Just be prepared when you see your doctor. By prepared, I mean have questions, be up on what sort of tests that can be performed, ...

I find that being prepared goes a long way!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread