It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Post Switching GI Doctor

I went to my GI doctor to weigh myself. And I gained half a pound within 2 weeks. Anyways, my parent and I had questions to ask the doctor. She was not in so we asked the office people if they could relate it back to the doctor. And their atittude was very insensitive and edgy. I did not really feel hurt by it but later I realized what could have been their problem? I asked about more information about the colonoscopy and the upper GI test and the risks involved. Anyways my parent was thinking of switching with another GI doctor mainly because of the very edgy attitude from the office staff and the doctor didn't really tell me too much about the procedures. I just felt weird in their presence.

When I asked the office staff about the risks they say that most of their patients don't care about the risks because they are in such discomfort that they just want it done and over with. Other than that their tone of voice was very rude and impatient. I felt like they had something to hide.

I am also not sure of the GI doctor believed me. She looked at me in disbelief when I told her my symptoms. I am a dude who REALLY hides his pain well. And I am not sure if she expected me to be crying and lashing out or what! But I certainly was in that situation a month ago! I don't know what their apathetic attitude was about. IT was odd.

How were your experiences going to the GI doctor??

[This message has been edited by wannabehotguy (edited 09-13-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 02:50 PM   #2

gillian30 HB User
Personally I would never stick with a doctor's office who acted like there was something wrong with asking about the potential risks of any procedure. I have switched doctors more than once due to the *****y nature of the front desk or nurse's staff. Whatever type of doctor you need to see, you should always feel comfortable, no need to put up with rude behavior from anyone in the office. Also, it is always advisable to research side effects, risks, etc., for anything, on your own, because doctors and their staff these days seem too busy to give any patient the full story on anything. If I hadn't done my own research on my recent small intestine biopsy, I never would've known not to take Ibuprohen or Aspirin, or many other important things, because the office staff never bothered to tell me. In this day in age, it's all up to the individual to find out anything...sad but true.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Thank you Gillian. Your advice helped a lot. I will do research on the procedures for SURE. And leave that doctor and her rude staff.

Old 09-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Doctor's staff are not trained to answer questions about procedures. I think it would be very unethical for them to do it ??? It's not posting on a board and we're free to state our opinions.

I'm surprised they told you anything except "discuss that with the doctor"

Old 09-14-2003, 09:25 PM   #5

Ricky U HB User
Thumbs up

I have experienced the same nasty attitudes not just from the front office staff but from the GI himself.He seemed angry,I guess he thought since I wasn't bleeding or cramping over,I was just wasting his time.So now I am searching for a new GI.I took my son to see a GI last week and she was very nice and answered all questions.I even asked her about myself and she didnt hesitate to answer any of my questions.I wish I could see her but she's a pediatrician GI.Yes the front office staff doesnt have to answer certain questions about procedures but they could politely tell you.So yes I would go to a diferrent GI and if youre not comfortable with that one go to another.AS long as your insurance approves it or your money doesnt run out.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I have switched doctors because of the front desk service but not because of a doctor's service. Luckily I have good doctors now in the sense that they haven't seemed upset with me showing up all the time. If they ever do make me upset, I would not hesitate to switch doctors. They are there to help you, the patient!

Closed Thread