It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 07:48 AM   #1

countrymom HB User
Post Pressure? Gas?

The past couple days I've been having some chest pressure. Mostly on the left (under the breast) sometimes on the right. When I burp, I get mild relief. My daughter (5) will even pound me on the back because I constantly feel like I need to burp. Burping gives me some relief, but sometimes even after burping, it feels as if it comes back midly. My stomach has also been a bit gurgly. I've been under a bit of stress lately, and I'm wondering if these are just gas pains from stress.

Old 09-12-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Right now it doesn't sound like anything serious. Might want to try gas-x or and antacid pill to see if that brings any relief. I would call the doctor if the condition gets worse or just continues and becomes too bothersome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 07:56 AM   #3

countrymom HB User
I do get relief with gas x, but it feels as if I can eat or drink nothing without getting the pressure. The more I think about it, the more pressure I feel...lol. A bit panicky for sure. I just wondered if it's common to get gas after eating everything! If I don't eat for a while, I'm fine. There were two days where I barely ate anything because I was so stressed. Now that I'm eating again, I feel constantly gassy!

Old 09-12-2003, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
If you get bloated and have gas after you eat, there are multiple things that it could be. Could be ulcer, IBS, GERD, bacteria inbalance, food intolerance (lactose, gluetin, ...), and on and on. Gets tough to figure it out. When you say that gas-x helps, I am thinking of indigestion/acid problem but I am no doctor. I would take a probiotic, eat yogurt, keep track of what you are eating, and talk to your doctor. When I get a real bad case of indigestion (feels like someone is blowing me up like a balloon), I will take some gaviscom tablets and I usually get immediate relief but afterwards I could fuel a house for a week with all the gas that develops.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Ditto's for what Actudan said!

------------------

Old 09-12-2003, 03:49 PM   #6

katalina999 HB User
I just read on this board that someone found relief by taking Magnesium (the message is just a few pages back). Maybe this could help you, too.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:55 PM   #7

countrymom HB User
OK, thanks. I know nothing about magnesium, but I'll do some research. Now the pain I feel is more in my tummy. I guess just under the breast bone. It now feels more like being bloated. I have some chamomile tea that I am going to try. I hear it works.

Old 09-13-2003, 08:47 PM   #8
(female)

cupidscat HB User
yes i get this alot to it hurts under my ribs at time s i thought it was my heart but drs say i am an air swallower due to stress 2 kids and all =) anyhow i found great relief add evening primrose and CHAI tea daily into your diet and it will help tremendously it all has other numerous effect calmer fights cold is a calmer and so on but the best thing it does it relieves the stomach problems it really does help

Old 09-14-2003, 09:45 AM   #9

countrymom HB User
Thanks. What is Evening Primrose? I went to emergency because it got so bad. They did an EKG and blood test that were fine. They gave me some disgusting Maalox, which made me feel worse. It seems as if most of my pain is coming from the top of the tummy, and just feels as if it's in my chest. They also gave me xanax for my nerves. I have three kids 5,3 and 1. So I am really stressed!

Old 09-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
I have you been tested for gerd or ibs?

------------------

Old 09-14-2003, 09:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Oops meant too say have you been tested for gerd or ibs?

Old 09-15-2003, 06:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by countrymom:
Thanks. What is Evening Primrose? I went to emergency because it got so bad. They did an EKG and blood test that were fine. They gave me some disgusting Maalox, which made me feel worse. It seems as if most of my pain is coming from the top of the tummy, and just feels as if it's in my chest. They also gave me xanax for my nerves. I have three kids 5,3 and 1. So I am really stressed!
I went the emergency room twice in one week when my stomach was hurting so bad (upper part right under the brestbone). I went because about a month earlier I was diagnosed with ulcers and acute gastritis. I figured I was having the same problem again. Bloodwork was done and I was given a GI coctail (lidocaine, maalox, and something else) and I got pretty good relief. Well since then I have had every test imaginable except for a colonoscopy and my go doc says it's not needed and right now I will accept that. He really believes that my digestive muscles are weakened and are spasming/cramping all the time which is what is causing my pain. He said that his usual 'ace in the hole' drug is limbitrol but it doesn't work for everyone. He actually gave me the drug about a month ago but I never took it because I was really getting tired og taking all these different types of medications. However, now I have started it so I am giving it a chance. I also take Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) during the day (Limbitrol at night). I started all this last Friday and I will give it a couple of weeks to work before I go back to the doc again. I am also seeing a nutritionist to try an herbal and vitamin approach. I have been doing this for about two weeks and since then I have noticed improvement in my upper mid abdomben but I still get the discomfort under my right ribs. I have also been trying to quit Nexium for the last few weeks. I have had a few bad days and I will take some Tums which helps. It seems though that my major symptoms haven't gotten better or worse since quitting.

It can be real tough to figure out what you have and don't have. You have to keep on your doctor or else you will be waiting for a long time before they do anything. I have found doctors to run a test (find nothing), give you some medication and ask you to come back in a month. If you have not gotten any better, they do another test, give you another med, and send you on your way. This cycle will go on and on and on until they find something which may take a long time. I didn't have the patience for that so I kept asking for tests to ease my mind and to speed up the process. Hang in there and good luck!

Old 09-15-2003, 06:31 AM   #13

countrymom HB User
This may sound totally out of wack, but I find I only have the pain in my chest when I get panicky or start to worry. Heck, then I feel pain in other places. My tummy is still a bit sore, like when I lie on it and sometimes I can feel it gurgly. But it's not that often throughout the day. I am trying to relax and I find that helps a great deal. I'm wondering if most of it can be because of nerves?

Closed Thread