It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
Unhappy anyone have laryngopharyngeal [lprd]

hi, i hope someone can help. I've had terrible mucous in my throat for the last 5 months. it gets worse as the day goes on. i'm taking ulcer meds with mo relief. my ENT has been telling me it's coming from my stomach, acid backing up into my throat. I've found some info on LPRD, does anyone have this? what have you done to get rid of all the mucous?
any info on this disease would be helpful!!
thanks, betty

Old 09-10-2003, 06:17 PM   #2
Reflux_Jan

Sorry I don't know much about the condition that you mentioned, but I do know a lot about reflux. People with reflux quite often have thick mucus in their mouths that reflux up from the stomach.

I suggest that you see your doctor as there are drugs that can help to control this. Also make sure that you have you teeth checked, as if it is acid reflux it could give you problems with your teeth.

I know of other conditions of the larynx and it is quite common in them conditons to also have reflux (GERD, GORD, ACID REFLUX).

Try avoiding chocolate, caffiene, fizzy drinks, spicy and fatty foods etc and elevate your bed as this can dramatically help some peoples symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
betty,
I have read about it. But, I don't have it. I control my GERD using diet and homeopathic remedies.
I have taken PPI's from time to time when I had Gastritis but I read that prolong use of PPIs could cause other bacteria growth with low stomach acid.
To keep the stomach acid from going up your throat and possibly getting it in your wind pipe ---you need to elevate your bed at least 4 to 6 inches. As you probably already know-- people that get this sort of rear condition usually have problems breathing at night, coughing as well as choking.
I think the standard treatment by a regular doc would be a ppi during day and an anti-acid when going to bed.

It's certainly not a very restful sleep and could readily produce asthma.

Since you live in an area that has many Alternative Care Doctors, I suggest you find a Naturapathic Doctor that is also an MD to treat you--- A Doc with good credentials. They have many more methods that can be successful.

Sarah that also lives in that area could direct you-- she is an Ex nurse that practices Homeopathy in the Boston area --- she posts on the IBS and Alernative Medicine boards alot.
Tell her Harry sent you.

God Bless---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 09-11-2003).]

Old 09-16-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
Unhappy

first off, thanks for trying to help harry and jan.

I'm "bumping" this up with hopes that KJM will see this post, I understand she also suffers from this.
thanks, Betty

Old 09-18-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Inactive

KJM HB User
Most of my mucus problems are in the morning when I wake up. For an hour or two I cough like I've got some kind of nasty cold. Usually, it's better as the day goes on but not every day. There seems to be some disagreement between ENT docs and gastro docs on solving this problem. Make sure you see both. An ENT can make sure your vocal cords look okay and that nothing else is going on down there. They might also help figure out if something else is going on altogether. I've been on pretty heavy meds for reflux since January and still have the problem. From what I've read, it takes A LOT more meds to fix it than regular GERD sufferers. Look around the web for more information. One doctor who's done a lot of research on this also says many people with this kind of reflux suffer from it during the day when they're upright rather than sleeping. So raising the head of your bed might do nothing. I've also had a gastro doc of mine tell me that raising the head of the bed only six inches for GERD sufferers is not enough. He recommends 8-10 inches at least. Do you have any nasal congestion? I've been dealing with this for months and I'm starting to wonder if that's what's causing my coughing and mucus production since I'm so heavily medicated for reflux. I've been tested for allergies and had a sinus CT and they both showed nothing. But my gastro doc says nasal congestion is not a symptom of reflux. For those of you who think you have laryngopharyngeal reflux and have been on meds for a week or so without results, you should know that it can take more than 6 months for throat symptoms to get better. And that's only if you're taking enough meds. Once a day PPI are probably not enough. I'm on twice a day Nexium 40 mg each and two Pepcid before sleep and I'm still having symptoms. Also, be sure you're taking your meds right. You have to wait a half hour to an hour after taking a PPI before you can eat. And then you have to eat something. Something my docs failed to tell me for months. Evidently I was supposed to go to pharmacy school in between my visits and figure it out on my own. I don't know if any of this information helps you. I've also got another throat problem from reflux - some scarring right below my vocal cords - so I don't know if the coughing and mucus is from that or the reflux itself. I'm going in for two more pH studies in Oct. The first off my meds and the second a week later on my meds to see if it's working. I'm also getting some kind of test to check for a weird tumor that I guess causes excessive acid production. Something maybe others want to rule out too.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
kjm, thanks for your reply. i've tryed every ppi out there,they only make it worse,cause terrible burning. i'm at the point now where i can't eat anything with out severe burning [this just started 1 week ago] i've lost 3 pounds already,not good,down to 107!
i called a new gastro and am waiting to to see if i can get in as an "urgent" appt. funny how they call it urgent, then say the dr. will get back to you with in a week or so! i feel like i'll die by then.
i just wish i could find something to help me.

Closed Thread