It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 11:09 AM   #1

prostator HB User
Post can non-acidic reflux still burn the throat?

Hey guys, I had a question I was hoping one of you could help me with. I have been taking Prevacid for about a month and a half. It healed my stomach ulcers and esophagitis, so I assume it was effective, but my throat is still very hoarse and often quite sore. If my stomach acidity is now gone, why should my throat be sore, if there is no acid to burn it? Can refluxed stomach material, even if it is non-acidic, still cause a sore throat and hoarseness? Thanks.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:28 AM   #2

andylw_00 HB User
I also have acid reflux and take prevacid but I also have alkaline reflux and pancreatic and liver enzyme reflux and it often bothers my throat also but my gastro told me that there was nothing for it.
maybe you have some other type of reflux also.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #3

prostator HB User
Hi Andrea, thanks for the reply. How did your doctor diagnose you with the alkaline and pancreatic reflux? Have you found anything that is helpful for your throat?

Old 09-18-2003, 05:57 PM   #4

andylw_00 HB User
That's a real good question, I'm not real sure about how they diagnosed me other than I have had every test in known to mankind done because I also have gastoparesis as well as pancreatitis, irratible bowel, my doc says that since I am on such a large dose of prevacid 4 30mg a day that the reflux is caused by the others, he as done numerous scopes and I have G and J tubes so he probably figured it out from that. My biggest help has just been to really watch my diet and follow the guidlines from my dietician, sorry I can't offer anymore help,
Andrea

Old 09-19-2003, 06:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I believe I am experiencing some problems with refluxing even though I don't feel any acid burning. My problem is chest pain and nack pain. I am pretty sure it's acid related because it occurs if I eat too much or if I eat something acidic. Also, some Tums helps the pain to go away.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by andylw_00:
That's a real good question, I'm not real sure about how they diagnosed me other than I have had every test in known to mankind done because I also have gastoparesis as well as pancreatitis, irratible bowel, my doc says that since I am on such a large dose of prevacid 4 30mg a day that the reflux is caused by the others, he as done numerous scopes and I have G and J tubes so he probably figured it out from that. My biggest help has just been to really watch my diet and follow the guidlines from my dietician, sorry I can't offer anymore help,
Andrea
Wow, you are on a high dose of Prevacid. Do you know how you got pancreatitis? Alcohol related? How was it diagnosed? Thanks.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:14 PM   #7

andylw_00 HB User
Well,
I just turned twenty four in july, I have a very long history of stomache problems since the fourth grade so for like 15 years but this january I got very ill at work and I was vomitting up food that I had eaten over twenty four hours ago, I got sick on a thursday and was in the ER on sunday two times with severe heartburn, vomitting and right sided pain, monday morning I was admitted and my gall bladder was removed, it was very inflamed and diseased, turns out that when I had been hospitalized for the same problems two years earlier my gall bladder was bad according to a hida scan and should have been removed and wasn't. My right sided pain continued and my amylase was raised so I was sent to Jewish hospital where I under went to ERCP's and the ducts had to be cut open on both my pancreas and bile duct and stints where placed. By this time I was still vomitting and losing weight quickly I was 108 when I went in the hospital and went down to around 80 lbs and my hair was falling out and my teeth where bleeding due to malnutrition which we later found out had to due with the vomitting and my neuopalastic gastroparesis which did not allow absorption of vitamins since I was unable to digest the food I did eat. By this time they sent me to IU med center where they put me on TPN's while trying to figure out what was going on but my liver enzymes began to drastically elevate and they did not want to take a chance on my liver being damaged with all of my other problems. They also found H-pylori bacteria which took two go arounds to get rid of. (and of course you know about my reflux problems) So they then put in a G tube which was hooked up to a cath for draining which helped to slow the vomitting with a combo of zofran, prevacid, and eventually domperidone for the gastroparesis, they also put in a J tube for taking meds and tube feeding, so anyway 26 weeks later I got to come h ome for the first time they have no known reason for the cause of my gastroparesis which in 40% of the cases they don't know and they believe my reoccuring pancreatitis has to do with my failed digestive system putting to much strain on it, I also believe it has something to due with my gall bladder being bad for two years and all of those toxins being in my system, so no it had nothing to do with drinking all though I did my share when I turned 21 with my friends but I still have my tubes and my entire lifestyle has changed. I hope this answers some of your questions

[This message has been edited by andylw_00 (edited 09-19-2003).]

Closed Thread