It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 02:41 PM   #1

Sera2003 HB User
Red face GERD... the horror.... am on the edge

have had three tubes down throat all revealing veins, GERD, hiatus hernia, blah, blah..... lately have been under severe stress due to personal stuff happening and this GERD has gotten to the point that it is there day/night even with Nexium double doses, peptobismol, etc., I have pain in my esophagus, hoarse/sore throat, pain under shoulders, and some fever - SUPER tired can't get around without feeling fatigued, swollen lymph nodes, stomach hurts all the time. Have doctors appt. in 7 weeks. ****, can't even have coffee, happy hour or pizza anymore (insult to injury). http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Any comments you'd care to share??????

Old 09-11-2003, 04:56 PM   #2

gillian30 HB User
I was told by my doctor that I have severe inflammation and gastritis. I have never heard him use the term "GERD" but am assuming it is the same thing. I have severe pain all over my stomach, particularly on the middle-to-left side. I'm on Nexium 40 mg. daily, and so far no change in any of my symptoms. Is there anything similar to Nexium that is perhaps stronger?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #3

Gtpchic31 HB User
I also have gerd and on nexium. I have talked to people who are on up to 100mg of nexium. If its not working enough i would go back and see you doctor he might incease the dose or try another ppi. Thats what i did when 60 mg of prevasic wanst working.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Reflux_Jan

Hi Sera,

I am so sorry to hear how rough you are feeling at the moment, no wonder you are worn out. Has anyone spoken to you about diet etc? If they haven't it is best to avoid chocolate, spicy or fatty foods, alcohol, smoking, caffiene and fizzy drinks. It is also best to not eat anything for at least 2 hours before going to bed. Also is your bed elevated? This helps to keep the stomach contents in the stomach.

Stress can be a major factor when it comes to controlling reflux, many refluxers are actually prescribed anti depressants to try and help them stay calmer.

Did you have the temperature and super tiredness and swollen lymph glands when you went to the doctor? If not I would certainly get back there and get checked over again. If a little time has passed and you did have the above temp etc, then I'd be tempted to go back anyway. As most refluxers that I know off (well over 160) do not have a temperature. This could be a sign of oesophagitus (inflamation of the oesophagus).

Hi Gillian,

Gastritis is inflamation of the stomach lining. In some cases but not all, it can be caused by Hpylori which is treatable.

GERD is, gastro oesophageal reflux disease (im in uk, here it is GORD), basically this is when the lower oesophageal sphincter at the top of the stomach allows harmful stomach acids and contents to travel back up the oesophagus. There are many different reasons as to why this happens. As your pain seems to be more in your stomach than anywhere else, I doubt if it is reflux, but only a doctor could tell you this.

Jan

Old 09-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #5

gillian30 HB User
Thanks for making me aware of hpylori, I haven't asked my doctor about this yet and I've been saying over and over that I feel as if I have a bacterial infection in there! I'm going to ask him about it right away.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:42 AM   #6
Inactive

KJM HB User
I'm totally with you. I'm sick of feeling this way. I cough/clear my throat all the time, feel feverish sometimes even though I'm not and a hoard of other stuff. I'm only 33 and don't want to have to suck down pills every day like I've been doing - for decades to come.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
sounds like we are feeling the same,TERRIBLE!!
i can't take any of the ppi's,they make it worse. i raised my bed,stopped coffee,no help. i'm at the point were drinking water hurts my stomach. sometimes it feels like i'm getting punched in the gut.
am i the only one getting really down? can't live like this forever,can't find a dr. to help.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:53 PM   #8

andylw_00 HB User
Gillian,

I take 4 30mg of prevacid a day but the best thing I have ever had was protonix it is like gold but my insurance won't pay for it, but it might be worth looking into .

Andrea

Closed Thread