It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Question Can someone name this condition?

My doctor thinks that I have this condition where my muscles have separated from my ribs which is why I am getting the pain around my right ribs. He told me the name but I can't remember it. I saw it mentioned on this board awhile back but I cannot find it. Can someone tell me what this condition is called? I think it started with a c and I would like to look up some info on the web. I guess I could call the doctor but I call his office so many times that I am trying not to call if I can avoid doing so. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #2

carebear73 HB User
I don't know if you are thinking of costochondritis? That is inflammation of the cartilige between your ribs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I believe that's it, thanks.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #4

carebear73 HB User
You're welcome. I suffer from that too. Have you found anything to relieve the pain other than ibuprofin or heat/ice? I would love to know. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #5

carebear73 HB User
I believe it is also known as Tietze's syndrome if it keeps occurring.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I haven't found anything else that works. I am taking muscle relaxers which seem to help very little but I am on a smalee dose and might need to up it some. I also have Vioxx but I am scared to take it becuase I go ulcers a few months ago from taking NSAIDS.

How did you get diagnosed? Is there a test that can be performed to confirm the diagnosis? I'm just not real comfortable with the dx yet. I went bowling last night and the pain was aggravated so it's seems like it related somewhow to muscle/cartilage. I am looking to see if there is any supplements that may help.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:19 PM   #7

carebear73 HB User
I got diagnosed by going to the ER. The pain was so bad and I couldn't stand it anymore. I thought it was my heart and freaked out. The doctor pressed on my chest and I almost hit the roof I was in so much pain. He said it was costochondritis and just to rest and put heat or ice on it and take advil. There is nothing much else they can do he said. Sometimes it can take a long time to heal. I have had the second bout of it in the past 4 months. It is much better today. I finally had a decent sleep last night. I used some DEEP COLD, which seemed to help some. The weather also does seem to affect it as well. If it doesn't clear up, I am not looking forward to falltime. It rains alot here lol. I have looked it up and haven't really found any solutions. I did hear that vitamin E does decrease inflammation. I don't know if it's true, but I am going to start taking it. It won't hurt. Please let me know if you find out any information on this painful condition. I do hope you feel better soon. I feel for what you are going through. What side do you have it on? Does it ever radiate into your back?

Old 09-22-2003, 10:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by carebear73:
I got diagnosed by going to the ER. The pain was so bad and I couldn't stand it anymore. I thought it was my heart and freaked out. The doctor pressed on my chest and I almost hit the roof I was in so much pain. He said it was costochondritis and just to rest and put heat or ice on it and take advil. There is nothing much else they can do he said. Sometimes it can take a long time to heal. I have had the second bout of it in the past 4 months. It is much better today. I finally had a decent sleep last night. I used some DEEP COLD, which seemed to help some. The weather also does seem to affect it as well. If it doesn't clear up, I am not looking forward to falltime. It rains alot here lol. I have looked it up and haven't really found any solutions. I did hear that vitamin E does decrease inflammation. I don't know if it's true, but I am going to start taking it. It won't hurt. Please let me know if you find out any information on this painful condition. I do hope you feel better soon. I feel for what you are going through. What side do you have it on? Does it ever radiate into your back?
I have not had the severe pain that you are decribing and I am still not 100% convinced that I have costochondritis. I do have some symptoms that are suggestive of costochondritis. My doctor did say that if I do have costochondritis that it can take a long timt to heal and that it can at times be really painful. He gave me Vioxx (which I won't take) and Skelaxin. I don't feel the Skelaxin does anything. I take Limbitrol at night and Librax during the day. This seems to help a lot. My doctor said that if it wasn't costochondritis, he really believe that it's still some sort of muscular problem. Good luck!

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer your question. My pain is primarily under the right ribs close to the mid abdomen are. The pain moves all the time. Sometimes it goes to the far right side of my ribs (feels like someone is poking me in my side) and other times the pain is in my back (on the right side).

Closed Thread