It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Inactive

ashpie HB User
Post dull upper right quadrant pain...

I ahve been having a aching feeling around my right mid stomache and right rib cage,.I notice it esp. when I am carrying my daughter but when I press around it doesn't really feel tender..other times I have gas and alot of burping and the area will ache..I was having alot of problems w/ gerd a few months ago and was on nexium but I stopped taking it 5 months ago and was wondering if this could be a gerd symptom?? gallbladder even though I don't have bad pain? it is very annoying..I also have a slight burning sensation in my stomache

Old 08-25-2003, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Yes it could be gerd or an h.pylori infection.One or the other or maybe even both.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 09:34 PM   #3

cjones HB User
Look on the internet for a disease called autoimmune hepatitis(spelling?) I had a lot of the same symptoms

Old 08-29-2003, 10:05 PM   #4
(female)

carol thomas HB User
Your symptoms sound a lot like early gall bladder trouble to me. If it continues or gets worse, or if you start vomiting, too, go to a GI doc and have a gall bladder ultrasound done. It's an easy test and would reveal any stones, sludge, or thickening of the wall of the GB.

Finding stones doesn't PROVE that's your problem, but it ups the possibility quite a bit. Next step would be the HIDA scan to see if the GB is functioning at least satisfactorily. Again, not absolute proof but pretty good test.

Best to try to find out what's causing your problems than to wait and worry... I've got a bad GB AND stones, but I'm waiting until I get a lot sicker to have it out. Many people have problems after the surgery so I'm in no hurry, at least until I really start to suffer

Hope it's NOT your gall bladder and instead is something easier to deal with.

Old 08-30-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
The more tests that I have the more I think that I have gallbladder problems. I have had an abdominal ct scan, 2 endoscopes, an upper gi series, blood work and an ultrasound which all were negative. I am sceduled for a colonoscopy and HIDA scan later this month so hopefully I will get some answers. The thing is that I don't want anything serious to be found just something. I have read about too many people having all the tests performed and nothing ever found so they have to learn to deal with the discomfort. I believe that when the tests haven't found something that that doesn't mean something isn't wrong with you. I believe that whatever is wrong just has gotten bad enough to show it's face on one of the doc's exams. At least that's my opinion. I hope you have better luck than I have been having and discover what is causing your discomfort.

Old 08-31-2003, 04:58 AM   #6
Inactive

ashpie HB User
are you having the same symptoms? I also have had a upper gi, endoscope, colonoscopy, nothing was found..I went to my doctor for this dull ache he felt around my liver area and it wasn't tender..he said everything was normal..funny how I still have the pain on and off though..

Old 08-31-2003, 02:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Ashpie do you have ibs?

------------------

Old 08-31-2003, 04:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

berza HB User
i went for 3 years without realizing i had gallstones, i thought it was just indigestion or maybe heartburn. that sounds exactly like the pain i had, you should get checked for gallstones.

Old 09-01-2003, 04:43 AM   #9
Inactive

ashpie HB User
hi suzyshop, yes I do have IBS..I've had it since 99..it didn't bother me for a few years but then in January it came back really bad..I have the constipation one so I usually drink a glass of metamucil at night..do you think this pain could be related to IBS?

Old 09-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Ashpie it might be ibs related.The last gasto i went to suggested that it could be .I had the h.pylori bacteria too.The gastro doc said that was what was causing my pain.They thought at first it might be a gall bladder problem.Did some tests came back negative. Took prevpac for the h,pylori infection,After i was done the same exact symptoms came back.So ive been suffering for going on 6 months.I either think the antibiotics didnt kill it, or or the meds gave me gastritis.The reason i dont think the pain is connected to the ibs is because ive had it since i was 17.Im now 46 this pain didnt pop up till i was diagnosed with gerd in my middle 20s.I sure hope its not the same pain i have that your feeling.Its pure misery.

------------------

Old 09-05-2003, 09:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Actudan what kind of pain are you having?

------------------

Old 09-09-2003, 12:03 PM   #12

klott HB User
ashpie, that is so wierd,,,,i'm having the same symptoms. I've had a tech hyda, h.ploryi, ultrasound, and today a ct scan. I haven't heard from the ct scan, but all other test show normal everything.
I too, have a small child, a 1 year old and a 3 year old who still likes to be held. Someone I work with has a mother who had the same thing and it was just a strained ab muscle. Hopefully, that is what mine is, but it comes and goes too. It isn't severe pain, but enough to make me think about it. The Dr. has me on nexium and says that it could be IBS also. Do you sometimes feel bloated on your right side? I do, and everytime I mention that to the Dr. they blow it off saying it is gas.
I'll let you know what I find out from today's test and let me know if you find out anything.
Good Luck.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:50 AM   #13
Inactive

ashpie HB User
Hi Klott,

yes I feel bloated on that side too..where is your pain located? I isn't really even a pain It's like a pressure or fullness and like I said if I hold my 2-year old on that side it aches..I'm wondering if I should start taking the nexium again..see I stopped taking everything months ago because I want to have another child..let me know how you make out..I just had abdominal films takin so I'm waiting to hear..my doctor just blew me off though..

Old 09-10-2003, 05:55 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
suzyshop1,

My major discomforts are mid upper abdominal pain, pain under right ribs, and NASSEAU! The naussea is horrible and I just feel sickly. It's also weired that when my mid abdominal pain is bad, I don't feel the pain under my right ribs as much. But when the mid ab pain subsides, I deffinetely feel the discomfort under my ribs. Also, I can feel pain in my mid to upper back between my shoulder blades (recent symptom). I also don't sleep well and haven't slept well for months. I average about 4 hours sleep a night. It's funny though because you would think that I would be dead tired but I am not. My HIDA scan is tomorrow so I hope it shows something because if it doesn't, I don't know what to do. I can still have a colonoscopy but what other tests can I do after that?! I'm about to give up. It has already started ruining my life. I quit looking for a new house, I haven't exercised in 4 months, I quit the bowling team, my grass is about 10 feet high, I don't play with my daughter, I ignore my wife because I don't want to be around anyone, and it goes on and on and on...

Anyway, sorry for the pity trip...

I was doing ok last week and I ruined it over the weekend w/ beer and fried foods. I have been really hurting since Sunday and I have swore off beer and fried foods indefinitely. I really wish that I could solve my nasseau problem. I have tried chamomile tea, peppermint tea, zinc tablets, ginger, and emetrol. The emetrol seems to help the best but it does not completely get rid of it and it's only temporary. I plan to try dremamine tonight. Maybe that will help me sleep too.

[This message has been edited by actudan (edited 09-10-2003).]

Old 09-10-2003, 07:54 AM   #15

klott HB User
Okay,,,I got my test results back. This is something I've never heard of, so I was a little scared, but I have friend that works in digestive health, and she swears this is treatable. They said that my ileocecal valve is irritated and enlarged, so that may be the pressure problem I'm feeling. I go to the Digestive Dr. Monday and will see what he says. They said that it could just be treated with antibiotics. I've read some on the internet about it last night and don't seem as worried. They may still do a colonoscopy just to rule out everything, but I'm to the point of go ahead, and just make me feel better. It can be very depressing not feeling good. It is bad when you don't feel like playing with your 1 or 3 year old, because you can't get in the floor and roll around. My mom died of cancer, so I'm always in fear of that,,,but every thing looked clear yesterday, so that was a sigh of relief.

Actudan, have you had a tech hyda? I couldn't remember if you said you did or not. A friend of mine had an ultrasound and a tech hyda and they both showed a normal gall bladder. But then, she did a tech hyda with a hormone contrast and it showed that her gall bladder was not doing as much output as it should. They removed her gall bladder and when the Dr. came to see her, he said that her gall bladder was almost toxic. Well, how come neither the ultra sound or the first tech hyda show that? That is scary, so don't give up. You may want to ask about that tech hyda.

I will keep you posted. Oh, yeah, on the internet, it said that this ileocecal valve is missed by alot of Drs and diagnosed as IBS. So it may be worth a try.

Closed Thread