It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 07:34 AM   #1
(male)

starling80 HB User
Post Nexium vs. Others?

I'm on a trial of Nexium for 10 days and it seems to really be kicking in now on day 6. Checked with my insurance company and discovered it's not a "formulary" drug for them, so it'll cost $45/month for me to have a prescription for it. Other drugs are ok, such as Prilosec and it's generic form.

Anyone have any experience with switching from Nexium to another similar drug? Do they all work fairly similarily or should I just bite the bullet and pay the extra $$ for Nexium since it's working for me right now?

Thanks in advance for your insight...this board has been very helpful to me since I started having symptoms a few months ago!

Old 09-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #2

NoleInOrlando HB User
I was on prevacid before switching to Nexium. To be honest, both worked great for me with regards to reflux related pain. I only switched because my Dr. said they were recommending the Nexium because it helped heal erosive esophogitis.

I don't think it would hurt to try a cheaper alternative. If it doesn't work, just switch back to Nexium.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #3

Gtpchic31 HB User
Lightbulb

Hi there, i know how you feel about the price per month. i pay $30 a month and it drives me nuts. the only problem i have experienced with these drugs is that they stopped working for me. I have been on prevacid and nexium now i am trying asiphex. so far they have all been the same price, but i have been seeing s comercial for a new cheaper one, i can t remember the name. you might want to try that one. i think its like have the price of the other ones. as for prilocet(sp) otc i havent tryed that one. I hope i was some help to you. take care

melanie

Old 09-22-2003, 10:37 AM   #4

Alexis from NY HB User
I haven't tried others yet, but I know my father didn't have any results with Nexium but did have good luck with Aciphex. I am on Nexium and it seems to work for me, but I also looked at the prices and thought UGH! when I saw how much it was going to be. I know how you feel - you hate to change when something works, but that's a lot of money each month too! Good luck. Alexis

Old 09-22-2003, 10:39 AM   #5

Maxine HB User
Smile

Does Zantac not work for anybody?

Old 09-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #6

NoleInOrlando HB User
Zantac only marginally worked for me. My doc said I could "ratchet up" the dosage a bit, but there was no need since my insurance pays for Nexium (only $20/month). Paying for OTC Zantac would cost more then that.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:06 AM   #7
(male)

starling80 HB User
Smile

I tried OTC Zantac for about a month before my doctor's appointment and it only took away the heartburn...my "flutters" still remained and retained their frequency and duration. Since starting Nexium, they've almost disappeared...only had a couple today and that was while drinking very cold water (hot/cold seems to stimulate this just as much as eating poorly). And even those were much less intense than before, so I'm hopeful Nexium is helping where OTC Zantac fell short.

Old 09-22-2003, 02:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I used Prevacid, Aciphex, and Nexium. All but the aciphex seemed to work for me. You just may have to experiment with the other ppis that your insurance covers and hope for the best. If not, you will just have to pay the $!

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #9

prostator HB User
This is a good topic. I've been taking Prevacid for about one month and a half. I saw my primary doctor recently, and he seemed to have a low opinion of Nexium. He said Protonix was superior to all the others in supressing acid. Any truth to that?

Old 11-20-2003, 02:42 PM   #10
(male)

starling80 HB User
Unhappy Re: Nexium vs. Others?

Just a quick update:

I took Nexium 40mg for 40 days (30-day prescription + 10-day sample) and all symptoms basically went away. Doctor took me off it at end of 30-days and asked me to take Prilosec OTC for a month or so to see if anything came back.

For the first 2 weeks, all went well...no heartburn and only a few "flutters." I'm sorry to report that for weeks 3 & 4, I've slowly been experiencing a recurrence of my original symptoms...more frequent esophageal "flutters", a feeling of something in my throat occasionally, slight chest pains if the wrong food is eaten, etc. Apparently, I needed to follow the longer, 2-month regimen of Nexium or go on it "permanently."

Will return to the doctor next month and request more prescription strength medicine.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:01 PM   #11

Alexis from NY HB User
Re: Nexium vs. Others?

Starling72,
I know how you feel because after my endoscopy (which came back with good results) my dr. just said "continue with the nexium" - well I've been taking it since August, and I'm wondering how long I should be taking it - I know forever isn't good. I asked his nurse and she didn't seem to have any idea about how long it should be! Go figure!

Old 11-20-2003, 04:34 PM   #12
Inactive

Saraly HB User

Maxine, Zantac is an acid reducer, drugs such as Aciphex and Nexium are PPI's ( proton pump inhibitors) and are much stronger.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:52 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Anastasia HB User

i was in Periot 20mgs about a year ago and it worked great. its a PPI, brand new and is supposed to do less kidney damage.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia
i was in Periot 20mgs about a year ago and it worked great. its a PPI, brand new and is supposed to do less kidney damage.
There is no one answer as you can see. What works for one may not work for the other. It is trial and error. To those of you that have insurance just be grateful. We old people for the most part do not have prescription coverage so we subsize everyone with high expenses. Protonix about killed me, Prevacid and Nexium worked OK but ended up with gastritis and intstianl polyps which I did not have before the PPI' so I really believe they caused it. Probably the Protonix. My diet had changed all for the better so I don't know what caused it cause I didn't have gastritis or polyps before treatment.
Donn' know what Periot is. It must have a different name in US

Old 11-21-2003, 02:13 AM   #15

grb HB User

I have been using Protonix to control acid reflux and heartburn for about a year. It has worked real well for me. I tried over the counter Prilosec for about 2 weeks and started to notice more acid reflux and bloating. So I went back to Protonix and now feel better, so for me Protonix is better.
George

Closed Thread