It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #1

gillian30 HB User
Post CT Scan w/Contrast

Could anyone here tell me their experiences with the iodine contrast used in Ct Scans? I'm having my first one next week, to discover possible problems associated with Celiac Disease and inflammation of the stomach and intestines. I've had regular scans but never with contrast, and I'm allergic to such things as Morphine and other narcotics, so I fear an allergy to this injection as well.(Though no allergies to seafood or bee stings or anything.) The type of contrast used will be "non-ionic" dye, which is supposed to be the safest, but I'm still very nervous how this will feel when it is injected. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #2

teresa26 HB User
i just had a CT scan last week (with contrast). i had to drink about 7 glasses of water first. and then in the CT scan room, the technician put the IV in me. first, they scanned without the contrast. then, he injected some sterile water into the IV and then the contrast dye. my arm stung a bit at first and then i could feel my whole body getting really hot. my head started to hurt a little. it wasn't a lot of fun, but it was over very quickly. after a couple of minutes, i wasn't hot anymore. i was a little nauseated and very tired for the whole weekend (had the CT scan on friday), but i am not sure that it was related to the dye. (i've been having fatigue anyway, but the nausea was new and disappeared in a couple of days.) i was told to drink a lot of fluids afterwards, but i didn't really do that since i was feeling unwell (and had been since before the scan).

good luck. let me know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
For my scan, I had to drink barium 1 hour and two hours before the exam. I then had to drink a small cup of barium right before the exam. A scan was then performed. After the first scan was completed, I was given an iv of sterile water. Once the iv was in place, a machine connected to the iv injected the iodine. My chest and head became slighlty warm but it passed after a minute or two. The second scan was ran and I was finished. I had more trouble with the barium. It caused me to have a lot of cramping and some diarrhea. However, a had the exam following a weekend of suffering from food poisoning so my digestive system was pretty weak. I say this because about 1.5 months later, I had small bowel follow through where I had to drink alot of barium again and I didn't have any problems.

If you think that you might have a reaction to the iodine (which is supposed to be rare), you can ask for some benadryl first.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #4

gillian30 HB User
Thanks for your stories about the contrast, and I will ask for the benedryl first, I think it's wise.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #5
Inactive

KJM HB User
I didn't have to drink anything. They just put the iv in my arm and when the contrast went in, my throat, hands and groin felt hot. It makes you feel like you wet your pants. I have to say though, I didn't think it was bad at all. Just a little weird. I'd rather get that done than a cavity filled.

Old 09-19-2003, 07:42 PM   #6

zlisaz HB User
Yesterday I had an abdominal and pelvic CT scan w/contrast. I was not given adequate instructions prior to the scan and did not knwo I would have an injection nor did I know that I would be drinking liquid Barium. The worst part for me was the prep. 2 hours of drinking baro-Cat was literally intolerable. It was absolutely nauseating. I had to plug my nose and luckily I sucked thru a straw. This stuff is impossible to sip. It was like a slight Bubblegum flavored Elmers glue. Nasty.
I had a bit of a panic attack during the scan esp. when the contrast was going in and it felt like my body was hot and I wet my pants. When it was over I went home and had diarrhea until the next morning. I had to miss work b/c of the stomach ache and the frequent bathroom visits. I had my scan done at night. i had no idea Id have to miss work the next day. It pretty much sucked.

Old 09-20-2003, 11:20 AM   #7

gillian30 HB User
Wow, zlisaz, that makes me nervous! Do you know if you had the non-ionic dye or the harsher, ionic version? And how long did the hot sensation last?

Old 09-22-2003, 04:52 PM   #8

gillian30 HB User
Sorry to hear your experience was bad, zlisaz, I finally had mine done this morning and to my surprise I had no sensation at all from the contrast. This could be because I had my done in a place which uses only nonionic dye. If you ever need to re-do the experience, try a nonionic dye and take a benedryl before leaving the house...it may help.

Closed Thread