It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #1

shelly6 HB User
Post burning feeling in chest

I recentl went to the Dr last week for what feels like a burning feeling in my chest,and some acid burping up.She did some blood work,looked fine,did an xray on my stomach,which also looked good.She gave me some nexium to try she thinks its reflux,its been a week,stomach seems a little better but have this burning in my chest still! Its fine during the day but at night it acts up,it just burns,where it wakes me up and then i cant go back to sleep,getting up usually helps it though so i pace the floors at night! I called back today and they want to wait another week to see if the meds work,they said give it another week,I dont know if i can go another week with out sleep.I also have a yucky taste in my mouth now,bitter,matallic,which i didnt have before,she said it could be from reflux or the medicine. Help,any suggestions? should i wait another week? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
It does sound like acid reflux. A coworker told me that sometimes he wakes up in the middle of the night with a mouth full of acid/sour tasting liquid. His chest will be on fire too. You may incline your bed 6 inches or so which may help and maybe take some antacids before bed. Those are just some suggestions.

If it really bothers you, I would pressure the doctor to see you again or change your medication. However, I do believe that doctors do like to try medicines for about two weeks before they change your prescription. It really depends on your doctor and how persistent you are. I am also assuming that you are seeing a family doctor. If so, you may ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist though it may be a little early for that.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 11:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Shelly6 when i was first diagnosed with gerd i had the same symptoms.The pain would be so much worse at night that i paced the floors till dawn.The meds i take for gerd work pretty good.Now if the doctors could just figure out what that pain on my right side ribcage is.

------------------

Closed Thread