It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 07:56 PM   #1

prostator HB User
Post What problem can make a person unable to burp?

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this symptom. I just got scoped yesterday, they removed a small polyp but say my esophagus and stomach are now looking very good (there had been esophagitis and stomach ulcers). Guess the Prevacid is doing its job in that department. But I have this other symptoms that is very perplexing. It isn't bloating, because I do not feel it in the abdomen. It's a feeling like a burp, or a gas pocket, or something, is trapped in my upper chest. Like I am always on the verge of a burp - but the burp will never come up. It's not a painful sensation but still very distressing, like someone threw a wrench in the gears. Sometimes I will burp, but in minutes if not seconds the sensation is back. Anyone have any clues? Thanks.

Old 08-29-2003, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Do you have gerd?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2003, 11:41 PM   #3

prostator HB User
Yes, I was diagnosed with GERD by my symptoms and the polyp, which was found right at the juncture of my stomach and esophagus. my doctor said it must have been the acid that irritated the esophagus and caused the polyp, so this confirmed the GERD diagnosis. So now that the polyp is gone and the esophagus and stomach are healing well, I wonder what could be doing this? It's such an odd thing.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:35 PM   #4

erich HB User
I would really like to know if you found any answers. I have had the same problem for years. It feels like air is moving up the esophagus and wants to come out in a burp, but it gets stuck, and then seems to go back to the stomach. And it just goes round and round this way. About the only way I can get rid of it is to lie on my LEFT side and let it do its thing for a while. Eventually, the gas seems works its way through the intestines and comes out....well, the only other orafice it could come out of.

The part that I find disturbing, is that it seems to frequently cause heart arrhythmias until the pressure dissipates.

There is no pain associated with this, just bloating. I was diagnosed with GERD once, but then my next doc told me, No, couldn't be if there is no pain or burning. He said not to worry. BTW, I had an x-ray once that showed a bubble of air near the top of my stomach.

I'm interested in any info you received.

Old 09-23-2003, 09:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I think trapped gas is more common than I would like it to be. I use Gas X and a homeopathic remedy Carbo Veg. But, alot of times I do belch.

I also at times have heart irreglaties from trapped gas. I think the gas presses on the Vagus nerve--- mine are PVC's and PAC's.

Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 09-24-2003).]

Closed Thread