It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Inactive

NikkisNYmom HB User
Post pelvic/abdomen ctscan...PLEASE REPLY

Hi Guys and Girls,

After a few weeks of not being around - vacation and sick - I am back to say hello.

I also have a few questions. First does a pelvic/abdomen scan xray the pancreas and gallbladder? My test was normal but I am curious if it even covers that. It's really important for me to know that so I don't get paranoid that something is wrong with me.

Lately, especially after John Ritter died, I keep thinking oh my God all my illnesses for the past 6 weeks might be from something they just aren't trying to detect.

Whoever on here knows me knows my issues started with chest pains and dizzyness. The doctor gave me Nexium but then my blood showed I had H. Pylori. He put me on Prevpac. During Prevpac my chest pains and all else disappeared. Prior to it I was getting headaches and stomach pains on top of the chest pains and dizzyness. During Prevpac though all else went away, I got a serious cold - coughing sneezing, etc. That's all gone too now. Except for 8 days into the prevpac, I got such a sharp pain in my back I nearly fell on the floor. I could hardly walk and had my sister take care of me for 2 days. After those 2 days I was able to function much better but the pain was still there. If Prevpac has Prevacid in it - which is supposed to help if I have an ulcer (we don't know if I have an ulder or if all I had was H. Pylori)- then why is it that my back was hurting that much. It wasn't a back pain like you slept the wrong way. It came from the inside. It was getting much better but still there. My prevpac finished this Monday. Yesterday I was so so - more or less ok. Today my back pain is now in the lower section and on the right shoulder blade and it's getting more painful but definitely not where I can't function. Also my stomach feels bloated as hell, I have no appetite. I am getting SOOOOOOOOO nervous guys. I thought Prevpac kills H. Pylori. If that's all I had then WHY am I not better? My chest pains returned today too on top of my stomach pains. I am also feeling some pain in my right side right above that hip bone. I am losing my mind because I don't even know if some of the pain is because I am worried about the other pains or if it's real.

Someone please advise me. I typed in abdominal pain and back pain and I was led to this website that says aortic aneurysm. Now I AM paranoid...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb

AS you may know the antibiotic that you have taken is pretty strong and kills the good bacteria along with the bad-- and can readily result in yeast infection.

The antibiotics does clean your intestinal tract so that you need to re-establish the friendly bacteria with a good brand of yogurt or some probiotic supplement or you may get or have a yeast/Candida Infection.

You may even need to take a drug that kills the yeast like Nystatin or Diflucan and recolonize your intestines.

God Bless---Harry

Old 09-19-2003, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
The ct scan sees the pancreas better than it does the gallbladder. However, more tests are usually needed if a problem with those two orgons is suspected. An ultrasound and HIDA scan can be done on the gallbladder. I ERCP can be done on the pancreas (however there is a chance of causing pancreatitis with this procedure). Bllod work can be done too but a normal blood work test does not mean everything is okay. For example, the amylase and lipase usually get really high if your pancreas becomes inflamed. However, the levels can return to normal and the problem can still exist. Blood work for the gallbladder usually includes testing your liver enzymes. If your bilirubin is high, it could be a sign of abnormal billary activity such as a blocked bile duct causing a backup in your liver. There are many other blood scenarios that can be looked at but I won't get into.

Basically, problems with the pancreas can be hard to disgnose and the gallbladder can be allusive too. One of the reasons for this is that both organs are covered by other organs so they can be hard to get a good look at. I have had all the tests and I still worry that I may still have problems with my gallbladder. I used to worry about the pancreas too but I never have pain on the pancreas side and two of my doctors have said that they feel 100% confident that nothing is wrong with my pamcreas. I guess I will accept that.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:56 AM   #4

gillian30 HB User
In addition to looking into gastro problems, you should see a cardiologist just to set your mind at ease. I also have abdominal pain and very bad back pain, and I have tachycardia (very fast heart rate) as well. But I have had blood work many times, and an EKG and echocardiogram, so I'm set at ease as far as any big problems are concerned. Maybe getting some of those tests would help answer those bigger questions for you.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
Inactive

NikkisNYmom HB User
Hi Harry,

Thanks for your response. I truly appreciate it.

I don't think I have a yeast infection though because I have no symptoms of that. Is backache a symptom? I have no itches or anything like that.

I will get some yogurt today anyway. I go to the dr. tonight.

I am just confused. They told me all my symptoms are from H. Pylori or so they think. They said my CTscan was normal so they really believe that's all it is. They think I MIGHT have an ulcer because of the H. Pylori but they aren't sure. He told me it's not important if I have an ulcer because if I do I will get symptoms to let me know. He says if I have no symptoms after my PREVPAC then I should assume it was the H. Pylori and now I am fine. Well my symptoms came right back so I don't get it at all. Obviously I have something other than just H. Pylori (which is hopefully now gone).

I just want to feel fine. I have never been this ill in my life. I don't think it's terrible I am able to function but it's noticeably different than my normal self. I am at a point where I don't know if all these things are related or not and I don't know what to think about them or how to treat them. I ordered a treadmill due to arrive Monday thinking maybe I need to get some exercise to get my cario going but I don't even know if I should try that at this point in case I do something worse to my back. I will ask dr. tonight.

Thanks for your response any advice is so very much appreciated.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:49 PM   #6

andylw_00 HB User
NikkisNYmom,

You can read my post with my history to actudan about gerd, but I have really bad gastroparesis and had a lot of those symptoms and the only two way to find it are and EGG which measures the electrical waves comeing from the pacemaker in your stomache which stimulates the digestive process or two a stomache motility test which watches how quickley food moves into the small intestines, it took a long time before they ever figures out that was my problem, i'm not say it is yours but slowed motility in non severe cases (not gatroparesis per say) is not an uncommon condition and can cause a lot of symptoms and if it is not severe it can be easily treated with motility drugs such as reglan or domperidone (from canada and Europe)

Andrea

Old 09-25-2003, 11:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Hey Nikki i see its not going to good for ya.How was your vacation,did you have any relief of your symptoms while you were gone?I was hoping to hear some good news from ya.Same thing happened to me with the prevpac.While i was on it i was starting to feel better,when i was finished the symptoms were back again.
Dont know if you remember me, i posted to your messages a couple of times.I have gerd and ibs.From time to time i will have a pain in my back, right on the shoulder blade.You ever get the pain on the shoulder blade on the left?Will be seeing my #3 gastro doc next weds.Hope to get some answers so i can give other ppl on this board the heads up bout this problem we all seem to be having.Have a good weekend.

------------------

Closed Thread