It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 05:02 PM   #1

gillian30 HB User
Question Best Drug For Inflammation Healing?

I'm currently taking Nexium 40mg. once a day, not for typical reflux symptoms but rather for a very inflammed intestine and esophagus, as well as stomach pain and intense feelings of constant hunger. These symptoms may be from Celiac Disease, which I have, and also from gastritis. The Nexium seems so-so but not quite strong enough, and I don't want to be on anything unless it's for the right purpose. Why take it if it's only for people who feel like they have typical reflux, whereas my problems are inflammation and stomach pains? Does anyone know if Nexium does treat those problems? Or if there is another drug that might be better?

Old 09-22-2003, 07:10 PM   #2

Missfit58 HB User
I have no idea my doctor gave it to me and he gave it for gall bladder problems. I dont know how that is suppose to help my gall bladder. Go see a surgeron wed. May have to remove it cannot eat. Only little things.And that even makes me sick.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 08:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Nexium is suppose to be the strongest. But, we are all different so sometimes some people respond to a different proton pump inhibitor better. It sure cost enough to be the best!!!

Old 09-23-2003, 09:53 AM   #4

gillian30 HB User
Wow, I never knew it was the strongest...is it better than Prevacid?

Old 09-23-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Are you asking which is the best ppi to help an inflammed stomach by reducing the acid or are you asking which medicines are best for helping with inflammation? I had constant gastritis while I was on the Prevacid and Nexium. I have since stopped taking those and now I am trying the vitamin and herb approach. I can list what I have been taking if you are looking for things that may help inflammation.

Old 09-24-2003, 10:21 AM   #6

gillian30 HB User
Yes I'd love to hear some homeopathic approaches as well as the medical approach, to see which sounds best for this. I need something good for severe inflammation of the esopogus and bowel, that's where I'm inflammed. I'm not going off the Nexium just yet though, and wouldn't want to have any bad interactions of supplements with it, but if you can suggest a few things good for inflammation I'd love to hear it!

Old 09-26-2003, 08:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
These are supposed to help inflammation:

EV.EXT 77 (inflammation)
Vitaenzyme (mispelled?) (inflammation)
Gamma Orzynol (for gastritis)
N-acetyl cysteine (for gastritis)
Digestive enzymes (to help with food breakdown to give stomach rest)
tahitian noni juice (supposed to help numerous ailments, friend here swears by it)
mastica (some here says it's great for gastritis, I have never used it)

I have used all the above except for the noni juice and mastica. I believe the oryzanol and cysteine worked the best for my gastritis. The EV.EXT 77 is supposed to be as good as ibuprofen, vioxx, and other inflammatory drugs w/o the side effects. Here is an exert of some info that I found:

The EV.EXT™ 77 extract, which is now available at health food stores nationwide in a clinically validated nutritional formula (FlexAgility™ from Enzymatic Therapy), is based on extracts of rare, bitter ginger roots (Zingiber officinale and Alpinia galanga) that are harvested at only certain times of the year in a remote region of China. EV.EXT™ 77 is excellent for relief of joint and limb pain. It is also suitable for the relief of other conditions associated with pain or inflammation (e.g., musculoskeletal conditions). Furthermore, EV.EXT™ 77 is able to relieve joint without any of the dangerous side effects of modern anti-inflammatory drugs like Celebrex and ibuprofen.

EV.EXT™ 77, which uses the same ginger extracts that the ancient Chinese healers found were so effective at relieving joint pain and initiating the healing response, has been shown in all the studies to help in promoting joint health with complete safety. In fact, EV.EXT™ 77 has been rigorously tested around the world and been the subject of four major clinical trials. This massive scientific testing has involved over a thousand subjects. Results from the clinical trials "have confirmed that those Chinese ancestors were right," says Dr. Morton Weidner, the Danish biochemist with a doctorate in pharmacology who discovered EV.EXT™ 77.

But EV.EXT™ 77 isn't only for older people. "Joint health is a problem that affects more than 80 million people a year in the U.S., including a large percentage of young, active adults," says Dr. John Taylor, a noted rheumatologist and arthritis expert affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic. Taylor says that, contrary to popular belief, unhealthy joints are more than just a problem linked with aging. Dr. Taylor says he has used EV.EXT™ 77 on more than 500 of his patients, with nearly 80 percent of them reporting significant improvement in their conditions.

In another double-blinded study from the Department of Rheumatology, Frederiksberg Hospital, Copenhagen F, Denmark, the proprietary extract was found to perform nearly as well as ibuprofen for osteoarthritis of the knee and hip.

How EV.EXT™ 77 Helps End the Pain

Whether prescribed or purchased over-the-counter, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are a valuable treatment in many rheumatic disorders. However, their prolonged use can cause many complications, including gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers, kidney malfunction, and hospitalization. That's why rheumatologists like Taylor, Altman and Marcussen are interested in finding nontoxic treatment options for their patients.

In China, ginger has been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes, such as nausea, stomachache, rheumatism, and toothache. Modern research has found ginger to be a powerful antioxidant and to have strong anti-inflammatory effects.

The pharmacologically active components of the ginger root are thought to be aromatic ketones known as gingerols. These have been shown in experimental studies to inhibit both the cyclooxygenase (COX) and lipoxygenase pathways, as well as production of prostaglandins, thromboxane and leukotrienes-just as the NSAIDs do but without their side effects.

In particular, EV.EXT™ 77 inhibits the 5-lipoxygenase enzyme and its inflammatory cascade reaction. Ginger's pungent constituents have shown "strong inhibitory effects on COX-2 enzyme activity," note researchers at the Herbal Medicines Research and Education Centre, University of Sydney, Australia. Yet, at the same time, unlike synthetic NSAIDS, EV.EXT™ 77 does not fully block these enzymes, instead returning the body to a state of balance or dynamic homeostasis.

Additionally, ginger has been found to lessen stomach acid and to lessen ulcers from stomach irritants. That is why studies have shown EV.EXT™ 77 does not cause gastric irritation and has no irritant or ulcerogenic effects.

EV.EXT™ 77 also reduces runaway inflammation through its antioxidant activity. During inflammation, free radicals play a role in tissue destruction and the inflammatory process. This oxidative explosion in granulocytes plays a role in exacerbating the inflammatory process. Results show that EV.EXT™ 77, apart from its pain relieving effect, also counteracts the aggravation caused by the oxidative burst. The inhibitory effect of EV.EXT™ 77 on the oxidative burst is much stronger than large doses of ibuprofen.

Pharmacokinetic studies also indicate that EV.EXT™ 77 is absorbed much faster and reaches a higher level in the blood than many other types of pain relievers.

Take the info for what it's worth.
Good luck!

[This message has been edited by actudan (edited 09-26-2003).]

Old 09-26-2003, 04:19 PM   #8

gillian30 HB User
thanks for taking the time to write that out for me! I will certainly look into it!

Old 09-26-2003, 11:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by gillian30:
Wow, I never knew it was the strongest...is it better than Prevacid?
Some people do well on one and others on another. Don't let a Dr. tell you they are all the same. I cannot take Protonix, caused pain and itching but can take Nexium and Prevacid. There is some talk that these may be causing gastritis from an overgrowth of bacteria because the acid has been reduced too much. I have gastritis verified by endoscopy and have just finished Prevpak for h.pylori or whatever bacteria is causing it. Will have another endo soon. I have no symptoms of gastritis but was being checked for esophagitis. it was gone but now I have gastritis. If it is gone on next endo I am not going back to PPI's. am going to just take Pepcid or Tagamet if necessary.

Closed Thread