It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #1

Georgie66 HB User
Post new here - whats wrong with me?

Hi
I'm so glad I've found this site. I have had various symptoms since Jan last year and I'm still no nearer to understanding what's wrong with me. It started in Jan 2002 with heartburn and acid indigestion together with niggly chest pains. Went to the doctor said most probably had acid reflux and prescribed Nexium. Helped a bit for a while with the acid but was still having the pain which ranged from a uncomfortable heavy feeling in chest right thru to my back between shoulder blades. Went back and forth to the doctors and finally he sent me to see a consultant in Feb this year. Explained symptoms to him. He said he didn't feel I needed a barium or endoscopy and that I should keep an eye on my eating habits. Took blood and tested for H Pylori - came back fine. Eversince then lost faith in doctors and have been trying to figure out myself what's wrong!!! Symptoms I have now:

Trapped wind - constantly feel it moving around my body
Pain and uncomfortable feeling in left rib area front and back
Sharp stabbing pain in upper back and breasts and niggly pains feels like something stuck just below collarbone in middle of chest and back
some burning in chest
When burping food coming up (sorry)
new symptom - pain and numbness down left arm and wrist
tenderness in chest when pressed
I have an ekg and blood work done in Feb everything fine. Had a EBCT heart scan in Feb didn't show anything, cardiologist said he didn't think pains were coming from heart. I've diagnosed myself with everything from Costochondritis to IBS. Went to the doctor last week for the first time in 7 months and he said that he thought it was chest wall pain from where the ribs join and to go and see an osteopath. I can't believe that all these symptoms are caused by this!!! I really don't know what to do next. I'm so depressed I just want to feel better again. sorry this post is so long but would appreciate if anyone had any ideas.
thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

I'm no doctor, but I think a lot of your symptoms are classic for GERD, and think that you need to find a doctor who will agree to do an endoscopy on you. Have you ruled out heart problems causing the chest pains, numbness in the arm, etc? If so, your problem should be looked at as a potential digestive disorder, then possibly a muscle problem.

Find a doc who will agree to scope you to rule out GERD, and subsequent damage to the esophagus causing most of your symptoms.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Old 09-22-2003, 12:44 PM   #3

hortibabe HB User
Most of what you describe I've had over the past 6 months. My problems started with chest pains, Doc said it was chest wall pain probably a left over from my car accident last year. It didn't get much better and I got really depressed which made me feel even worse, now I have been diagnosed with acid reflux and waiting on blood test for h pylori. I came to the conclusion that it was probably all caused by my stomach in the first place!! My Doc has been really good but still didn't manage to get it right first time!

Old 09-22-2003, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Smile

I had the exact same symptoms that you guys are talking about.I even had the pain in the arm which really concerned me.Had tests done doc said pain in my arm wasnt from heart problems.Im still to this day 7 months later battling with these problems.My pain is on the right side on the ribcage.Doctors cant figure it out either.I have both gerd and ibs.The only thing the doc could suggest was that maybe the symptoms are somehow connected to my ibs problem.

------------------

Old 09-24-2003, 03:20 AM   #5

Georgie66 HB User
Thanks to everyone who responded. Just to update you I made an appt to see a new doctor on Monday and he is going to run a series of tests. Even though I've still got all the distressing symptoms I feel a bit better in the fact that at least they will rule out (I hope) some serious things and I may get some answers. He also prescribed me some tablets for the reflux so I hope they work. Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:17 AM   #6
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
just wondering? what kind of "tablets" did the DR. give you? my reflux is so bad.
thanks, betty

Old 09-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #7

Georgie66 HB User
Hi Betty

Sorry to hear your'e feeling so bad. The doctor prescribed me a drug called Ranitidine - 300mg one a day at night - I've only been on them for 3 days so don't know yet how good they are but I will let you know. I had Nexium last year but they made me feel worse after a time. My upper back and chest are killing me tonight burning and sharp pain right across my shoulder blades I really can't beleive Gerd causes all this pain!! keep in touch
Georgie

Old 09-25-2003, 10:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Gerd can cause all kinds of freaky symptoms.Pain in the back being one of them.

------------------

Old 09-28-2003, 09:22 PM   #9
(male)

jonee0 HB User
I think a duo-endoscopy would be a good idea also.

Closed Thread