It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 08:39 PM   #1

Beckihoo HB User
Post pain under left rib cage and in back

I have been experiencing alot of pain under my left rib cage and in my back. It has been going on now for nearly a year and a half. It is getting progressively worse. I toss and turn all night because I can't sleep on my left side or my back for longer than 5 mins. It feels like a constant ache or like it's bruised on the inside and pressing against my ribs. I've had xrays and my heart was put on a monitor to make sure there wasn't a problem. I had acid reflux a couple of years ago but it has subsided. I've noticed that I seem to have excessive gas and when I'm bloated the pain is much worse. Sometimes it hurts while i'm sitting down but mostly I'm in agony when I lay down. I have been constipated alot and lately occasional diarreha. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I'm sick of the pain.

[This message has been edited by Beckihoo (edited 09-24-2003).]

Old 09-24-2003, 03:12 AM   #2

Georgie66 HB User
Hi

If you look under my recent post (georgie66) you will see I have exactly the same symptoms as you. Mine is all on the left side too, ribs, chest and back. I also have terrible flatulence!! I feel it moving around my body (esp. when I lay down at night) and it seems to make the upper back pain worse. I know it's so difficult to explain the symptoms to anyone. I too was treated for acid reflux last year which I still have to some degree - not so much with the acid coming up but still with pain. I know how you feel, I've gotten so depressed with all this, mine too has been going on since last year. On monday this week I finally made an appt to see a doctor to explain all the symptoms. He gave me a prescription for a antacid and sent me for a chest xray, bloodwork and ECG. Still waiting for the results on them. I have an ultrasound of my abdomen next week and I've got to the stage that I'll ask for every test until I find out what's going on. If the ultrasound is ok then I'll push for a xray of my upper back and baruim/endoscopy. I'll keep you posted of any results and maybe help you shed some light on yours. Hang in there, make an appt to see your doctor.
Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #3

Beckihoo HB User
Thanks for responding. I just read your topic and found it interesting that you mentioned, it's like something stuck in there, plus the tendernous in the chest. That is exactly what I have. One doctor suggested my back was out of place and that was the problem. So he popped my back and sent me home. Well needless to say that didn't help. I tried to keep a log of the times it happens most. I notice it's worse during my menstrual cycle. It's bad when I have a gassy stomach. And always if I eat anything before going to bed. To me it feels like there is something too big in there like a giant wedge that I'd like to cut out myself. Well if anyone else has any ideas please respond. Thanks

Old 09-24-2003, 03:04 PM   #4

Georgie66 HB User
Hi Beckih****feel like I've got a massive stale bagel stuck in the middle of my chest/back = it feels like someone needs to give me a massive thump in the middle of upper back to clear it!!!

Old 09-24-2003, 03:13 PM   #5

gillian30 HB User
Among many other problems with my GI tract, I, too, have an ache on my left side under the rib cage. It feels like a knawing feeling that radiates up into under my breast area on the left side. I don't know what it is, I've had many tests, but taking Nexium once a day in the morning has helped the feeling lessen somewhat. You may want to try a PPI while you're undergoing testing, it may relieve you a little at least.

Old 09-24-2003, 03:35 PM   #6

Georgie66 HB User
What is a ppi?

Old 09-24-2003, 07:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
PPI is a proton pump inhibitor like Nexiun, Pravacid, Prilosec.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:09 PM   #8

Beckihoo HB User
Where can I get this PPI. Is it prescribed only by a doctor? And what is it for primarily?

Old 09-25-2003, 10:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Gillian30 the symptoms you described fit mine to a t. Only differance is my pain is on the right side.Do you have either gerd of ibs?

------------------

Old 09-25-2003, 10:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Beckihoo you can get otc prilosec at most drugstores now.

------------------

Old 09-26-2003, 10:18 PM   #11

Romany43 HB User
Hi Beckihoo,

I know exactly how you are feeling because I have the same symptoms as you. Do you get any pain in your shoulder also? It has been suggested to me that this pain may be a stomach ulcer, have you been tested for that? I know how depressing it can be when you are in constant pain. Let us know how things are going.

Sue

Old 09-26-2003, 10:23 PM   #12

Romany43 HB User
Beckihoo,

Have a read of my post "Pain under left rib..!! What is it? Anyone had this?"...you might find some of the replies on there helpful..

Sue

Old 09-28-2003, 09:25 AM   #13

Beckihoo HB User
Romany, I was told by the last doctor visit that he want's to treat me for an ulcer. He put me on raberprazole (think this is a generic name). I will let you all know if this works. I hope this is the answer.
I have been wondering if birthcontrol pills are compounding the problem. This all started around the same time I started taking birth control pills. Any women out there think this could be a possibility?

Old 09-29-2003, 06:37 AM   #14

Romany43 HB User
Funny you should say that because I was talking to a friend of mine recently and she said that she had the same symptoms as me and that her doctor told her that the cartilage in that area can be affected by hormonal changes. (particularly with women going through the change)..

Please let me know how the pain goes with this new pill you are taking. I have been pain free all week while taking mucaine, but it is starting to make me feel sick. I am seeing the doctor(finally) on Friday.

Sue

Closed Thread