It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 10:17 AM   #1
(male)

ken1967 HB User
Post perforated colon surgery

3 weeks ago i had emergency colon resection surgery due to a perforated colon,this after 4 months of dealing with diverticulitis, i now have a temporary colostomy bag and will have the reversal surgery in 3 months, i just wondered if anyone has had this done and what their expirience was after both surgeries,how you felt and since the diverticulitis was removed how did u feel and deal with eating, thanks

Old 10-01-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
I had this in the beginning of 2000, for diverticulosis that gave rise to a big abscess and eventually a fistula. I had emergency surgery also, and had not been diagnosed with diverticulosis previously (in retrospect, I had had an attack about 6 months before but chalked it up to the flu [plus it was on the right side, so not as easy to identify as such]).

The reconnection went very well and everything was back functioning within about a week. I really changed the way I ate after the first surgery and have continued that. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits (in other words - fiber rich food), regular yogurt, lots of water, minimal refined, processed foods. Eating is fine . . . the only thing I find is that my system is more temperamental when I do NOT eat well. Like, travelling, it is a little hard to maintain the way I usually eat, and even with fiber supplements, I can get cramping, bloating, etc. And since I do in general eat more simply, eating out can cause a little distress sometimes - though you learn where and what you eat. (Just to elaborate a little - I work in Manhattan and lunching at Chinese restaurants and sharing is a usual lunch, but I find I can't mix a big variety of foods like that anymore . . . and not just Chinese, I had trouble at any kind of buffet, and even one Thanksgiving (home prepared) with all the variety [big quantities don't help either].

How are you doing with the bag? Some of the mishaps I had are now comical, though they certainly were not at the time. Somehow I often managed to work the bag loose in the course of moving around, and noone had told me about an extra elastic belt at first. So one day I am at the grocery and the darn thing dropped to the floor. In a panic, I picked it up and shoved it back under my shirt. Of course, I look up to see an employee staring at me. Well, what could I say? I ran to the bathroom to get myself together and am thinking the whole time that Security is waiting for me outside the door! But they weren't. Heaven knows what the person thought.

Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2003, 10:29 AM   #3
(male)

ken1967 HB User
thanks for the advice and what you went threw, i havent had the bag too long had the surgery sept 11th , im still home and will be out for another month before returning to work, then in late dec/early jan have the reconnect surgery, im sorry to hear about your mishap in the store, its exactly situations like that im dreading when i go back to work, kinda wished i was going to be out until after the reconnection but the doctor wants me back, im going to have to make lifestyle changes, im 36 years old and ive eaten nothing but junk foods, im a meat and potatoes kinda guy, now if i want to live a long healthy life i need to eat better, wished i listened to my parents when i was young

Old 10-02-2003, 06:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
I had to go back to work for a couple of months, too, between my surgeries (five months apart). Get out and around and moving the way you normally would as much as possible before going back to work so you find out how it impacts the bag. It ought to be okay, though. I had a really bad infection at the time of my operation and was pretty debilitated and my colostomy was in a funny location (in the center a couple of inches ABOVE my waist).

You know, while I ate a lot of sweets, I also got more veggies and fiber than average. I was always regular and thought my colon was the one part of my body that functioned pretty well. So you never know. I find out later that several relatives had problems with the colon. So sometimes I think things happen despite our best efforts.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
(male)

ken1967 HB User
thanks auntjudy,

ill be going back to work most likely in the beginning of november although i do physical labor i hope they will find me some light duty work to do, im supposed to have the 2nd surgery in 3 months from the 1st one which will be in mid december however im not crazy about being in recovery over the holidays so i might wait until the first of january, i was told until im recovered not to have a high fiber diet i guess they want the intestines to heal? who knows

Closed Thread