It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 06:08 AM   #16
(female)

EchoeB42 HB User
sounds great,now what im wondering is how do probiotics work into all of this? is it somethign we can stop taking or take them along with the magnesium ? and is this helpful with the gas and bloating from IBS ?

[This message has been edited by EchoeB42 (edited 09-29-2003).]

Old 09-29-2003, 11:12 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I won't get into all the problems I have been experiencing but they have been pretty much in line with everyone else's experiences. And yes I have also had all the tests which all came back okay.

I finally went to see a licensed nutritionist. He started off by really bashing the PPIs. He said the body has to have a certain amount of acid to break down foods so that we can get the right amount of nutrients. Also foods have to be broken down to a certain level so our bodies can rebuild the protein chains (assuming you are eating animal fats) for our body to use. Most of all your nutrients are absorbed through your stomach and duodenum. If you take antacids and ppis, you are not getting enough acid needed for proper food breakdown. This will lead to other problems such as malabsorbtion which can lead to a long list of other problems.

Anyway, I quit taking the Nexium which I was skeptical to do because I swear that all the pain I had the first time I tried quitting was due to a rebound effect. I started on a program that includes a lot of digestive stuff such as enzymes, omega-3 and omega-6, hydrochloride (to increase acid), ... I was skeptical on taking the hydrochloride pills because that was surely going in the opposite direction that the doctors were going. Since I started the program, a lot of symptoms have gotten better. I am able to eat again and I actually gained some weight which had been a concern. I believe that I was having some malabsorbtion because I could not gain weight and A lot of my stools floated (which can be a sign of malabsorbtion). I am still having some problems which I believe to be related to spasms (I can at times actually feel my upper stomach spasm) because limbitrol has helped (which contains medicines to help ease spasms).

I take a multi 2 times a day but that may not be enough magnesium so I will try adding a magnesium supplement to see what happens. Also, a was a rather heavy weekend drinker before my problems began and I have read that alcohol can really deplete your magnesium along with other vitamins and minerals. I will buy the magnesium today and will keep the board posted on my results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 11:20 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
My other post was lenghthy so I wanted to add some info on magnesium here:

Function:

Magnesium has several important metabolic functions. It plays a role in the production and transport of energy. It is also important for the contraction and relaxation of muscles. Magnesium is involved in the synthesis of protein, and it assists in the functioning of certain enzymes in the body.

Food Sources:

Most dietary magnesium comes from vegetables, particularly dark-green, leafy vegetables. Other foods that are good sources of magnesium are soy products, such as soy flour and tofu; legumes and seeds; nuts (such as almonds and cashews); whole grains (such as brown rice and millet); and fruits or vegetables (such as bananas, dried apricots, and avocados).

Side Effects:

Toxic symptoms from increased magnesium intake are not common because the body eliminates excess amounts. Magnesium excess almost always occurs only when magnesium is supplemented as a medication.

Magnesium deficiency is rare. The symptoms include muscle weakness, fatigue, hyperexcitability, and sleepiness. Deficiency of magnesium can occur in alcoholics or people whose magnesium absorption is decreased due to surgery, burns, or problems with malabsorption (inadequate absorption of nutrients from the intestinal tract). Certain medications or low blood levels of calcium may be associated with magnesium deficiency.

Deficiency symptoms have three categories:

Early symptoms include irritability, anorexia, fatigue, insomnia, and muscle twitching. Other symptoms include poor memory, apathy, confusion, and reduced ability to learn.
Moderate deficiency symptoms consist of rapid heartbeat and other cardiovascular changes.
Severe deficiency symptoms could lead to tingling, numbness, and a sustained contraction of the muscles, along with hallucinations and delirium.

Recommendations:

These are the recommended daily requirements of magnesium:

Children
1-3 years old: 80 milligrams
4-8 years old: 130 milligrams
9-13 years old: 240 milligrams
14-18 years old (boys): 410 milligrams
14-18 years old (girls): 360 milligrams
Adult females: 310 milligrams
Pregnancy: 360-400 milligrams
Breastfeeding women: 320-360 milligrams
Adult males: 400 milligrams

Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

One of the problems of getting many minerals from veggies is that there is no telling how healthy the soil is that the food was grown in--- alot of veggies are grown in mineral depleted soil. I think taking a supplement that is readily absorbed is good. Gloconate , citate, asparate and oratate are all good. The oxide take more stomach acid for it to get broken down.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #20
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User
Hi blue pumpkin and friends, I took a calcium/magnisium supplement after reading the board last night and bam- the gas pain was gone. The supplement recommends 3 pills a day with total of 1000mg calcium and 500mg magnisium. Today I took one at breakfast, lunch and need a pill now but am waiting till closer to bed time. I bought the in store brand of my grocer. Thanks for the info blue pumpkin!

Old 09-30-2003, 05:48 PM   #21

bluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB User
Hello everyone,
I am so glad to see that this message is helping people. I am still feeling good, not one episode of heartburn since I found magnesium. These days I have cut back just to see how I feel and still doing fine, just a few days a week and that does me fine. My system has gotten back to normal and I've even experimented with some of the "no-no foods" with no problems. I watch what I eat because I will NEVER take ppi's again. Actudan, your nutritionist is right all they do is mask a problem and then because it's left untreated it becomes worse. I wish you all Good Health

Old 09-30-2003, 05:52 PM   #22

SuzieQ211 HB User
Thanks for the info! I am anxious to try this.

I too have been told that nothing is wrong, except an Upper GI did show stomach spasms. I have the pain below my ribcage (almost like severe, growling hunger pains)and horrible reflux (especially during the day). I can live with the pain, but what I cannot take anymore is the feeling of something in the back of my throat and the bad breath from the reflux. Does anyone else have this and how can I get rid of it? I am so sick of eating mints all day long. I am withdrawing from family and friends because it is too embarrassing to talk to people. It all started a little over a year ago and progressively worsened over the past 6 months.

Does the magnesium help this? THANK YOU. I would appreciate any input.

Old 10-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #23
(female)

777irish HB User
Sorry...Bluepumkin....I was asking you that last question....which magnesium are you using....there are so many different kinds...thanks

Old 11-16-2003, 12:46 AM   #24

Griz1960 HB User
Just like to say hi to all, was reading the posts and never gave mag. a thought, I too have been haveing stomach problems, gas, pain in the chest and lower abdoman was put in the hospital 3 times in 2 years, doc told me is was gerd put me on protonix that didnt help so he double it, I hate drugs so i did some research and found that a digestive enzyme high in protease and lipase might help so I tried it,, it worked for me. (drug free

Last edited by Griz1960; 11-16-2003 at 12:48 AM.

Old 11-19-2003, 12:56 PM   #25

djmike HB User
about the magnesium ?

[I wanted to know what mg of the magnesium you were taking and if it was magnesium oxide. please let me know thanks

Old 11-21-2003, 08:31 AM   #26

Leesta HB User
Re: GERD Sufferers..I feel good...let me tell you why...

bluepumpkin,

I have been having gas pains in my upper back for over two weeks. This is not new this happens at least twice a year only this time the pain is lasting longer. I have had every test known to gastrointerology, all of which were negative. My doctor didn't know what else to try.
I have been on most medications prescribed for gastric conditions. I am at my wits end. I am ready to try the magnesium supplements. Can you tell me what kind of magnesium and the millegrams you used? Thanks for giving me some hope.

Old 11-22-2003, 07:23 PM   #27

Frianne HB User

I have been taking prevacid for 2 years now (without any tests whatsoever). Just recently I had an upper endoscopy done and everything came back fine except for the tube that empties into my stomach. They just said that it was red. Anyway, they put me on the prev-pac (amoxicillin, biaxin and prevacid). Said maybe this would cure me of whatever I had so that I could stop taking the prevacid. I take prevacid because if I don't, I get heart burn and acid indigestion really bad. No matter what I eat. If I give the magnesium a chance, do I not take the prevacid. Also, how many milligrams should you take per day.

Old 11-23-2003, 06:36 PM   #28

bluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB User
Re: about the magnesium ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmike
[I wanted to know what mg of the magnesium you were taking and if it was magnesium oxide. please let me know thanks
I take magnesium oxide, it does the job for me, the mg is 250.

Old 11-23-2003, 06:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesta
bluepumpkin,

I have been having gas pains in my upper back for over two weeks. This is not new this happens at least twice a year only this time the pain is lasting longer. I have had every test known to gastrointerology, all of which were negative. My doctor didn't know what else to try.
I have been on most medications prescribed for gastric conditions. I am at my wits end. I am ready to try the magnesium supplements. Can you tell me what kind of magnesium and the millegrams you used? Thanks for giving me some hope.
I don't remember where I posted it on this board, but I told someone else with the same problem that if you want to get rid of this problem you have to get serious. If the doctor says there is nothing wrong as in my case, you have to change your habits. I went off all medicine, and I had a lot. I was mixing antacids and ppi's at one point. thats how bad I had it. I believe that the medicine is part of the problem. I went cold turkey. Ate very conservatively rice, yogurt, applesauce, at first while I took the magnesium and after time I was much better. Since the last post I have had one slight problem, when I tried to eat an orange, but it was very minor and hey, citrus fruit is very acidic. Still, food that used to bother me for hours like, spaghetti and most everything else has no effect. Get serious and you will see the results.

Old 11-23-2003, 06:51 PM   #30

[QUOTE=Leesta]bluepumpkin,

I have been on most medications prescribed for gastric conditions. I am at my wits end. I am ready to try the magnesium supplements. Can you tell me what kind of magnesium and the millegrams you used? Thanks for giving me some hope.[/QUOTE
I thought I replied to your message but this new setup is confusing me a little so forgive me if I submit twice.

Closed Thread