It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2003, 06:06 PM   #31

bluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB User
Re: GERD Sufferers..I feel good...let me tell you why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frianne
I have been taking prevacid for 2 years now (without any tests whatsoever). Just recently I had an upper endoscopy done and everything came back fine except for the tube that empties into my stomach. They just said that it was red. Anyway, they put me on the prev-pac (amoxicillin, biaxin and prevacid). Said maybe this would cure me of whatever I had so that I could stop taking the prevacid. I take prevacid because if I don't, I get heart burn and acid indigestion really bad. No matter what I eat. If I give the magnesium a chance, do I not take the prevacid. Also, how many milligrams should you take per day.
If you try it I would stop taking the prevacid, like I told someone else, I went cold turkey and ate conservately when I started taking magnesium. I take 250mg.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:26 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have done alot of reading about the absorption of magnesium. There is a company in Canada -- Albion Laboratories that has patented a process(US) that chelates magnesium to amino acid(protein). This type magnesium is probably one of the best I and my wife have ever used. It is manufactured in the US by anumber of companies like Solgar, Carlson, Kal and Doctors Best -- it's named magnesium glycinate.

My wife took Prilosec for 6 years for cramping and spasming of the throat -- now the magnesium has solved her problem. The Doctoc called her problem "Nutcracker Syndrome.

I am sure there are other forms of Magnesium that are absorbed OK like apartate, oratate, lysinate, citrate, etc. The inorganic forms are considered not as good like sulphates, oxides and phosphates.

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 09:58 AM   #33

chriscalcaterra HB User
Re: about the magnesium ?

Bluepumpkin,

When I saw this post I almost cried. I have not tried the supplement yet, as today is the first I saw of this post, but I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. I am 22 Years old, male been suffering with GERD/Acid Reflux type symptoms for about 6-7 months now. I have eliminated all the bad foods, I drink nothing but water, I deprive myself of everything that is yummy. I first took Prevacid for about 2 months which seemed to wear off, now I take Aciphex 40MG a day. I feel a lot better then I did 5 months ago, but I still don't feel GOOD. It is a scary feeling because I am young and I am afraid that for the rest of my life I will never feel good again. My biggest grip is NAUSEA, if someone could help me alleviate this symptom I would forever be in their debt. I read your posts but didn't see anything talking about nausea, but I am wondering if the Magnesium supplement could possibly help me with NAUSEA. Currently gas & nausea seem to be the things that keep me from wanting to go out & have a good time, I get depressed often because I miss the way I felt 1 year ago. I would never be home, I would always be out & about. Please help me learn more about this Magnesium supplement. I will do anything to get rid of this nagging pain. There are days where I don't feel too bad, but I never feel perfect & that is a scary thing. On top of the Aciphex which I take in the evening, I do take supplements. My doctor is not just an MD he also tries to avoid the whole "Medicine" Thing, but he prescribed me the Aciphex because he saw how much pain I was in. I take 2 Glutamine pills, 2 Zinc, 1 Multi-Vitaman, and 4 VItalplex (Acidophilus). Those pills don't seem to bother me. I'll tell you that my appetite is very screwy & I don't seem to want to eat like I used to, although I make sure that I eat at least 3 square meals a day even If I don't feel like it. But if you are right about this Magnesium thing, my life would just be perfect again. Please let me know what brand you take, how much you take per day, whether it be one pill a day or two or three. Do I take it with Breakfast, lunch or dinner? I live in the U.S, I have many stores I can go to, GNC, Vitamen Shoppe, Rite Aide, Eckerd, CVS, Genovese & Duane Reade. Please get back to me as soon as possible. I am in dire need to feel better. One last question: How long after starting the magnesium supplement will I begin to feel better? Remember nausea is just about the only thing that bothers me the most aside from the weird appetite that I have. I thank you for your help in advance and may God Bless you. Please respond soon.

Chris

Last edited by moderator2; 03-31-2004 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 12-22-2003, 09:40 PM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Have you been tested for H. pylori. it can cause the problems you are having.

Old 12-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #35

chriscalcaterra HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyondweller
Have you been tested for H. pylori. it can cause the problems you are having.

Hi,

I have had 1 very good blood test, but I am not sure if that would screen for H. Pylori by itself. Is there a special test for H. PYlor infection? If so I am going to the Doctor soon & would like to have it done.

Chris Calcaterra

Old 12-24-2003, 10:33 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

There is a specific test for H. Pylori. It is not run in the regular pane blood work no matter how inclusive. it is not copletely accurate but then no test is. the better test for H. pylori is the breath test, however I think it can only be done once and then you have to wait so long before another for some reason. The other test is biopsy from endoscopy however, my biopsies showed none and my Dr. still insisted that by the looks of my stomach and duopdenum that I had it. I just had the breath test and have not gotten the results yet. It is supposed to be more reliable than blood test.

The Following User Says Thank You to Canyondweller For This Useful Post:
Jane885 (09-13-2012)
Old 01-02-2004, 08:16 PM   #37
(male)

m10016 HB User

Hi Bluepumkin, I also have the same symptoms that you had...Just statred taking magnesium supplement 2 days ago. Didn't notice any improvement so far..Could be please tell me how long did it take for you to before you noticed any significant improvement. Also I read that magnesium overdose might lead to serious problems..Dd you know if 800-1200 mg per day would be too much? I'm 29 yr old .. BTW, did magnesium cure your problems permanently? Thanks.
M

Old 01-03-2004, 02:24 PM   #38
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi blue pumpkin and friends, just an update, Since I have used the calsium/mag supplements,(several months now) my stomach problems have been solved. I went through an upper gi and sonagram a year ago fall. All lookes great from the medical point of view, but I belched alot, had pain in the upper back and esophugus. I am sold on magnisium! I get it from our local health food store. I take a 1000/500 supplement. I encourage all to try it!

Old 01-03-2004, 02:53 PM   #39
(male)

m10016 HB User

Hi Pslam, How long did it take before you noticed any significant improvement?
And also how severe and what exactly were your symptoms? I've been trying magnesium for last 3 days (magnesium oxide)..1200 mg per day...I guess it is too early to notice any improvement..Please let me know.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #40
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi m10016, It helped me right away. I happen to have some calsium/mag supplements here(I believe "springvalley") Right after I read bluepumpkins post I took 3 tablets and the pain stopped right then and there. I couldnt believe it! I spent all that money having those test done too. I freaked out at the test too. I was so nervous. PTL there was nothing the medical community could see wrong with me. As a matter of fact, the test revealed that my gut is out standing! I sure didnt feel outstanding. My symptoms were:belching all the time, pain in my upper back(relieved by the belches) pain in the esophugus. It is not fun feeling this way. If I were you I would take a calsium/mag supplement together. I have heard they need each other for good absobtion. I use "SUPER CAL-MAG" by NATURE'S LIFE. 1000 cal, 500 mag. I take 2 pills a day. I looked for a supplement that I needed to take the least amout of pills a day. I gag alot on supplements. My prayer for you is that it will give you relief like it did for me. Let me know how you do. Blessings!

Old 01-14-2004, 01:20 PM   #41
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

OK let me get this straight. I'm on Prevacid 1/daily..to reduce acid and, stomach inflammation -- should I shift to Magnesium supplements..and, how many must I take and, will they cause diareeha. Must I take theses forever?????????

Please Respond

Last edited by moderator4; 01-14-2004 at 10:33 PM.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #42
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Losec,

If you do any reading about what your body needs to function -- you'll find that it needs alot of nutrients. Magnesiun is only 1 you need daily -- 400mgm to live. If you don't get it --- you will have problems. You can certainly get it in food if you know what to eat and the veggies are grown in Magnesium rich soil that is not depleted??

It helped bluepumpkin with his problems.

Magnesium is not an anti inflammation mineral--- it is more for anti-spasms, helps enzyme production and many functions in your body.. Most illnesses are made worse by lack of magnesium. About 75% of people are deficient in just this one mineral!

It will not cause diarrhea in about 1/50 of an ounce--- not in me. Magnesium in high doses are used as many laxatives.

God Bless---Harry

Old 01-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #43
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Thanks Harry I'm taking a multi vitamine daily but, there's not enough magnesium in there..

Last edited by moderator4; 01-14-2004 at 10:27 PM.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:17 AM   #44

vader1000 HB User

my understanding is you take probiotics for 1-2 months and then you shouldn't need them again any time soon. basically, you build up your flora level, then it is self-maintaining. you can probably take them again in a year or something for another month. if you can't maintain them naturally, you probably have another issue i'm guessing.

i just buy 1 bottle at a time. finish that bottle, then take them again next time after i have an antibiotic treatment or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoeB42
sounds great,now what im wondering is how do probiotics work into all of this? is it somethign we can stop taking or take them along with the magnesium ? and is this helpful with the gas and bloating from IBS ?

[This message has been edited by EchoeB42 (edited 09-29-2003).]

Old 02-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #45
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bump for New GERD members!!

Closed Thread