It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 06:06 AM   #46
Inactive

madara HB User
Re: GERD Sufferers..I feel good...let me tell you why...

Are you suggesting this for just those with no diagnosis or also offical GERD, IBS, gastritis suffers? My huge pain is right under my left pec, I thought they called that top of rib cage, cuz it gets mistaked alot as me having heart attack when I go ER alot. I guess right there that makes me different from rest of you, though thought doc said that endo showed valve was NOT working right, hernia thingy.

Hmm very tempting, yet scary go cold turkey, but what saying makes sense I been at 2x nexium a day over year and I think that nuts and does not help that much.

Last edited by madara; 02-24-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:53 PM   #47
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

I have just read this whole thread, very informative and I like what I read

I had the same problems as psalms, with a lot of belching which seemed to take pressure or remove gas from my stomach.

I am going to go get some of the calcium/magnesium natural life supplement.

I am 120 lbs 5'4, is there a certain amount that I should take?

Does it say on the bottle how many milligrams each tablet is? Id like to start out on a 250-360 mg tablet...like what was posted here for 14-18 female

I have had weak muscles, dizzines, sleepiness, slight forgetfullness...signs of magnesium deficiency, i also have anemia, and dont take my iron pills like I should.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 AM   #48
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi Forget, I take 500/1000 mag/ cal. It helps alot! I feel like this was an answer to prayer for me. I am also 5'4'', but I weigh more. I think you need to kind of experiment with the amout to see what makes YOU feel good. Blessing s to you!

Old 03-25-2004, 10:02 AM   #49
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

thanks psalm, i am definitly getting the super cal-mag by natures life today

Old 03-25-2004, 10:37 PM   #50
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Well my grandma went and got me some cheap brand of supplements, but I guess they are all the same??

They are "Essential Minerals"-2 bucks from dollar store

Calcium (as calcium carbonate 333mg)32%
Magnesium (as magnesium oxide) 167mg 42%
Zinc (as zinc gluconate) 17 mg 111%

^those are the main above, and I dont think there is enough magnesium in this supplement

Directions say take 2 tablets 3 times a day with food..so that would be 6 tablets all together in one day. I dont want to have to keep popping tablets all day long......I am going to go to the store next week and look for the Natural Life's Super Cal-Mag,

Unless anyone thinks these are fine??-(I just took one for today)

Old 03-26-2004, 07:42 AM   #51
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

that is exactly what I take, nature's life super mag. I take 2 pills a day. It helps alot.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:00 AM   #52
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Regardless of the type Magnesium you take --- more is absorbed if you take it in divided doses. If you take it in one dose daily the absorption is about 14% but taking it 3 times daily the amount is increased up to 40%.

Most all magnesium supplements are aborbed to some degree but the most bioavailable type is the Chelates form. This magnesium is bonded to a protein Amino Acid-- gylcine and lysine (glyinate and lysinate) and is readily absorbed in your intestines. I think because it's small and in an ionic useable type form.

This process is patented internationally by Albion Labs in Utah and sold to various vitamin/ mineral manufacturers. I have used Doctor's Best, Solgar, Carlson, and Kal --- there are also many other brands on the market. As I said, ALL forms of Magnesium work to some degree ---it is just some are better than others!!

Harry

Last edited by moderator4; 03-29-2004 at 11:29 PM.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:54 PM   #53
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Harry,
I just wanted to comment that my two tablets three times a day with a meal is working. I do burp occasionally, but it's not that hot deep burp that feels acidic.

So for me, so far so good..not perfect, but I need to give it a little more time

Last edited by moderator4; 03-29-2004 at 11:02 PM.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #54
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

I have some in my cabinet from last year, the expriration says April 03, can I use these?

Old 03-31-2004, 01:33 PM   #55

grit1220 HB User
Question Re: GERD Sufferers..I feel good...let me tell you why...

Last week I went to the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack. The Doctors could not find anything wrong. I went to my regular doctor the next day and he said I had acid reflux disease and the pain in my chest was from erosive esophogous disease. Now this Friday he wants to run a camera down my throat to see what kind of damage has been done. My questions are....Is this the same pain you guys are describing in your chest? It feels like my heart is actually hurting. Should I contine to take the Nexium with the magnesium? Should I let this Doctor stick a camera down my throat? Any response would really help me. I am new to all this and just really need some help.

Last edited by grit1220; 03-31-2004 at 01:43 PM.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:35 PM   #56
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Yes, you should let them. It is an endoscope where they can look and see what is going on and they can take pictures of areas that look inflammed. They may also take a couple biopies if something is inflammed. It does not hurt. You will be sedated enough sothat you don't feel anything. Nothing to be afraid of. Many of us have it without sedation on a regular basis to keep track of what is going on. It can be a life saver if they find a problem by catching it early. Many people have it for a lot less problems than you are having.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:03 PM   #57

grit1220 HB User

Thank you for the advise. I never knew there was even a place to discuss problems like this. Hopefully I have caught this early so it wont develop into something worse.
Thank you again.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:08 PM   #58

NathalieT HB User

I've just joined and all your messages have given me some hope. I've been suffering from acid reflux/heartburn etc on and off for years. Five years ago I got an ulcer (and I wasn't particularly stressed at the time). Anyways, the spasms, and heartburn etc has got bad again recently, so I will try the magnesium. Just one thing, none of you mentioned breathlessness, which I have been getting quite alot, and I seem to have a chronic cough. Had the latter for years, and don't know if its related. I also have just developed a wierd swollen node on my neck - very small, and painless, so not too worried. But if any of you have had these things altogether it would be good to hear about. They might not be related. Finally, have you tried cutting out certain food stuffs to help ease the symptoms. Hope to hear from you.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:49 PM   #59
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Nathalia -- Welcome to to Healthboards!!! I hope you find it useful???

Are you taking any medication that could possibly be causing the breathlessness?

Lack of magnesium can cause all sorts of problems. I have known some people to improve asthma symptoms by just adding a magnesium supplement to their diet. There are many vital nutrients that you may not be getting enough of with the way you eat.

There is always hope!!

God Bless---Harry

Old 04-20-2004, 01:48 PM   #60
(male)

KennyH HB User
Thumbs up Re: GERD Sufferers..I feel good...let me tell you why...

I have been trying this Calcium/Magnesium supplement from Walmart. It also has zinc. It has been about 10 days. So far it has greatly improved all my symtoms. I still have some heartburn but it seems minor compared to before. I have stopped taking nexium as well as Zantac. This supplement has 1000mg of calcium/400 mg of magnesium and 15mg of Zinc. It is one tablet with each meal and it is around $2.50 at Walmart for a 30day supply. I would recomend anyone with these problems give it a try. I am not sure what my long term will be with this but it seems to be improving my acid/heartburn problems. I will report back after 30 days for a final assesment.
THANKS FOR THIS SITE AND THE ORIGINAL PERSON WHO RECOMENDED THIS!
GOD BLESS YOU BLUEPUMKIN!

Last edited by KennyH; 04-20-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Closed Thread