It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #61

Mare53 HB User
Re: GERD Sufferers..I feel good...let me tell you why...

Bluepumkin, how much magnesium are you taking? I also began taking it as an extra supplement by itself recently, along with nexium and mastic gum. I also take DGL as a digestive supplement, but I can hardly stand the incredibly strong licorice tast (I hate licorice!) I have nearly constant pain on my right side along the bottom rib. I don't know if it's under the ribcage or the rib itself. It migrates to the left side when it really gets bad. Does that sound like what you were describing? This is good news for me about the magnesium. I am much better after beginning the above supplements about 2 weeks ago, but still struggle some. I will increase my magnesium if I need to, but I hate to take too much of it. It will help if you share with me the mg. dosage that you are taking...thanks! Mary

Old 04-23-2004, 12:13 AM   #62

longtimehurtin HB User

What kind of magnesium pills work the best for you, I have been reading about the different kinds and its a lot of this one is bad this one great and then the next article is the complete opposite. I started taking magnesium citrate 150 mls 3 times a day( pharmacy recommened) but you have had such great results I would love to know the specific type and brand you use. I must say your post gave me hope again and I haven't had that in a long time. Please post your answer quickly so I can get on the fast track to recovery too!..Tanya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #63
(male)

KennyH HB User

I am using the Spring Valley brand sold by Walmart. This was on my way home. It was only $2.50 so I said give it a try. Its 1000mg calcium 400mg of magnesium and 15mg Zinc. If figured at the price why not give it a try.
It is the magnesium that is suppose to not be the best but it works. You take three pills a day with each meal. Occasionally when I feed some indigestion comming I take an extra one. It seems to take a while as the first week I thought it was a waste of time. Give it time to build up in your system. I am 2 weeks now and have been happy with the results. Good luck

Old 05-03-2004, 07:02 AM   #64
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

I will again state for the newbies to this post-Magnisium has been the answer to my prayers! I have been on it several months now and it has been great! I am feeling so good now that sometimes I forget to take it, which that is not what I want to do. I need to take it faithfully everyday to stay healthy.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:24 AM   #65

DianeMarie73 HB User

I just started it this morning I have alot of problems. I'll keep you updated.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #66
(female)

slpagirl HB User

Hi... Feedback please! There are a lot of people on this thread that went out to buy the magnesium supplement... but have not read much about the progress. Maybe it means that the results were positive. Anyway, for all those who tried the magnesium supplement, how did it go?
Please share with us. Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #67
(female)

nopizza HB User

After I read about magnesium on this board, I decided I'd give it a try. I stopped taking my Prilosec about 6 days ago & am taking 250 mg of magnesium oxide (I get another 200 via the calcium supplement I take). The last time I tried to quit my PPI, about 2 months ago, the GERD was so bad after 2 days that I had to start taking it again. So far I don't feel any worse than I did with the Prilosec; i.e. I still can't eat spaghetti, tomatoes, or oranges. I do have my bed up on 4" blocks & don't eat after 8 PM. I hope the symptoms continue to be suppressed, because I'd much rather take a mineral supplement than a PPI long term. About a week ago I ordered a new 3 month supply of Prevacid thru my mail order insurance Rx. Maybe I won't even need it.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #68

bluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB Userbluepumkin HB User

WOW!!!! I have just read all of the new posts here and it makes me feel so good to know that it is helping people with this problem. THe one thing though that I see is some of you all with daily problems are procrastinating. Just go to the store and buy some magnesium and try it. Don't over think it. It's nowhere near the price of prescription drugs. At most health food stores they have a big book that tells you all about the vitamins/herb/supplements available. If you want to read about it you can do it right there. If you're still scared to go off your ppi's take a maganesium and eat the most blandest safest foods you can think of in small quantities and eat more frequently and then if you feel like you need your ppi take it. But just try it and then let us know how it helped or didn't help. It may take time. Pslam91 I had been wondering how you were doing and I'm glad you've been singing magnesiums praises while I've gone. Good health to everyone.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #69
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Speaking of cheap I get a bottle of just some generic brand that takes two pills three times a day with food, for $2 from a dollar store, and they work fine

I am so thankful to know about Mg

Old 05-11-2004, 06:21 AM   #70
Veteran
(female)

Kimianne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeKnot
I have just read this whole thread, very informative and I like what I read

I had the same problems as psalms, with a lot of belching which seemed to take pressure or remove gas from my stomach.

I am going to go get some of the calcium/magnesium natural life supplement.

I am 120 lbs 5'4, is there a certain amount that I should take?

Does it say on the bottle how many milligrams each tablet is? Id like to start out on a 250-360 mg tablet...like what was posted here for 14-18 female

I have had weak muscles, dizzines, sleepiness, slight forgetfullness...signs of magnesium deficiency, i also have anemia, and dont take my iron pills like I should.
You have got to be kidding! I came on this board this morning because I cannot take it anymore. It is effecting every aspect of my life. These are my symptoms!

Going out for lunch to buy the magnesium. Thank you and I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:50 AM   #71

newhere HB User

Okay, so I went to my GP yesterday and asked him about this Mg thing......he had never heard of it and couldn't figure out why it would help. I also asked him about long term effects of ppi's and he said there is no clinical significance that suggests adverse effects of being on them long-term. So I dunno what to think.

Either way, I'm trying to go off Nexium.....I have had a dry cough since December and I'm wondering if it is the Nexium. Yesterday was my first full day without it, and on Mg, it wasn't an overly fun day but I'll keep trying. I also cut coffee out this morning..... headache...... lol

Old 05-11-2004, 11:11 PM   #72
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: GERD Sufferers..I feel good...let me tell you why...

Newhere,
I thought you knew Doctors don't go to school to learn nutrition and very few Medical Schools teach them very much on this subject anyway. They are taught about diseases that are caused by not getting enough of certain vitamins and minerals but that is about all except for diet used for certain problems like diabetes, heart problems etc.
Doctors are taught how to treat most medical conditdions using Drugs and surgery--- The regular Medical Profession is supported and I will make a sorta broad statement --

Drug Companies Control Most of the Medical Establishment here in the USA.

Read this about long term use of PPIs:

[url]http://www.hhmi.org/news/merchant.html[/url]

Last edited by Harry; 05-11-2004 at 11:17 PM.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:55 PM   #73
(female)

nopizza HB User

I said I'd keep y'all posted about the magnesium. It's been more than 2 weeks now without my PPI & with 200 mg magnesium in the AM & 250 more in PM. I feel fine. I still don't eat pizza, but I survived some spaghetti by taking a Pepcid before the meal. I have even put a tiny piece of tomato in my lunch sandwiches. My GERD might be quietly eating up my esophagus (sure hope not) but hasn't caused any of that chest pain, coughing, sore throat, acid in the mouth that caused me to get the PPI in the first place. I really hope this continues to work, as I don't want to take any prescription drug long term, especially one that can cause malnutrition.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:58 PM   #74
(female)

slpagirl HB User

Thank you for keeping us posted. I've been taking magnesium supplement (500 MG/day) for over a week now, and I do feel much better. Still have some mild discomfort. I take gaviscon after a heavy meal sometimes. I started taking a colostrum supplement when I started the magnesium to help repair damage in my digestive tract. Sounded like a good idea. I switched off of my high blood pressure medicine (calcium channel blocker) which I think is the culprit to the Gerd. So, lots of variables here, but I do think the magnesium is helping me. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #75
Veteran
(female)

Kimianne HB User

Hi all:

Just an update: I started taking the magnesium on 05/11/04 at lunch time and I cannot believe how good I feel. I feel almost normal now!

There were a couple of days that I felt heartburn in the morning and at night took some Tums and they worked. What a difference! I hope that this continues and I do not have to go back to Ranitidine.

By the way in looking up information I found that Nexiumís active ingredient is esomeprazole magnesium. I am not sure about the first word but all of us on this post surely know about the second! And how much does Nexium cost?

Take care and letís keep in touch with each others progress!

Last edited by Kimianne; 05-19-2004 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Wrong Date

Closed Thread