It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 10:12 PM   #91

anonygurl2 HB User
Cool Re: In Reply to KennyH

Hi Kenny,
I was wondering if maybe the magnesium isn't helping you at night time because maybe you have a weak LES? I was told that was the cause of Gerd and so maybe no matter what in the evening even if all is well with your stomach the acid just slips through into your esophagous?

I want to say i'm going to try the magnesium too i have noticed before when taking a supplement of magnesium citrate that sometimes my acidy stomach is calmed. So i'm definately ready to try it on a regular basis.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:15 PM   #92

anonygurl2 HB User
Question Have any Gerd or Gastritis sufferers noticed anxiety after eating?

I get very nervous sometimes after eating like a butterfly feeling in my stomach and almost panic attacks. Sometimes all i have to do is lay down on my stomach or sit in a way that puts some pressure on my abdomen and i get that very nervous feeling again.

I have heard of some people getting very nervous with Gerd and was wondering if anyone on this board has any symptoms similar to mine?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #93
(male)

KennyH HB User
Re: GERD Sufferers..I feel good...let me tell you why...

I think you are right anonygurl2. I think maybe if I take the supplement for awhile it can maybe heal up and I will have better results. Also the nexium will allow everything to heal up. I have been on nexium for 1-2 years but it has been off and on as I tried other drugs and supplements. I believe there is an operation to fix the LES but I think this may be to drastic a fix at my age. Will try to report back again in 6 months and may try go get off the nexium again at that point.

Old 07-03-2004, 03:08 PM   #94

Kalar HB User

They help to activate digestive enzymes and breakdown your food. My pain was on the left and somewhat in the middle and it went straight through to the back and it was painful.

What are you doing that relieved you of this? I've been dealing with this off and on for years!

Old 07-20-2004, 12:04 AM   #95

sylas HB User

Thank you for this thread not only for the great info on magnesium but also for the experience of others with GERD. My son is almost five and unfortunately has been dealing with GERD his whole life. He was on Zantac until two, Tums until four, and then in this last year he started suffering greatly and was put on Prevacid which helped him greatly with the food sticking in his throat and inablility to eat anything without pain.

Unfortunately he started having a hard time eating due to the refluxing so he was put on Metoclopramide which is a motility agent. I was very scared and reluctant to put him on this but to my surprise it almost cured him of all his pain, discomfort, refluxing, and associated symptoms with no side effects...Thank God. I still need to watch what he eats very carefully and like you all tomatoes and citrus are definitely no nos.

My son stands when eating and does get nervous and jittery, especially when we are eating out. His GERD acts up much worse when we are at a restaurant. I too am interested in whether others notice this peculiar "nervousness" thing with their GERD especially when out.

Sorry so long but I don't get to talk to any people who understand this conditon. My poor little guy has esophagitis at four and it is definitely caused by a weak LES valve. There is an operation they can do with a small tube incision now but I don't know enough at this point. He is being followed at Children's Hospital, has been since a baby.

Thanks again for letting me vent and share and for the info and experience. I am going to start him on magnesium and see if it helps him.

Old 10-10-2004, 04:36 AM   #96

Dale30 HB User

Hi,
Heres something i read that everyone should probably be aware of when they take magnesium:

General recommendations for nutritional supplementation: To avoid stomach problems and promote better tolerance, supplements should always be taken earlier, or in the middle of a larger meal. When taken on an empty stomach or after a meal, there is a greater risk of some tablets causing irritation, or
eventually erosion of the esophageal sphincter, resulting in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).

It is also advisable not to lie down immediately after taking any pills.
When taking a very large daily amount of a single nutrient, it is better to split it up into smaller doses to not interfere with the absorption of other nutrients in food, or nutrients supplemented at lower amounts.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:04 PM   #97
(male)

mrmagregus HB User

anyone able to report on there progress with this method?

Old 10-29-2004, 02:59 AM   #98

Hapbob HB User

I am happy to read this thread. I have been diagnosed with severe damage to eshpogus and I just started taking aciphex. I have no real symptoms of heart burn or any acid type problems? Should I contunue to take aciphex and use Mag supplements until I get a healed up eshpogus? I Want to get better but don't want to delay healing by stopping medications? What diet changes has anyone done to improve any of this?
New to health board

Hap

Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 PM   #99
(male)

theman2000 HB User

Hap

What were your symptoms? How did you discover your esophagus damage?

Last edited by moderator4; 10-29-2004 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Quote need not be repeated.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #100
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

theman,
An eroded esophagus is usually detected by an optical scopy exam-- called an endoscopic exam.

Hap,
The PPI you are taken should be continued until your esophagus is healed. It usually takes about 8 weeks. So keep taking it until your Doctor says it is OK.
One of the better things to do with acid coming up your esophagus is to sleep with the head of your bed elevated about 4 to 6 inches.

What was your symptoms of your esophagus to be examined in the first place??

I wish you well--- Harry

Old 10-29-2004, 09:17 PM   #101
(male)

mrmagregus HB User

OK well Ill post my results, this is only the 2nd day so far, dunno if it is coincidence but I was feeling really terrible yesterday, maybe 60%, anyway after reading this here I got some Magnesium tablets, I actually took a little more then is recommended as I figure the absorbtion is gonna be not so good. Well today I am feeling so much better, just have a little discomfort in the upper chest area but compared to yesterday is a bit improvement, today I feel maybe 90% normal. We will see how we go but so far so good, been doing some reading on magnesium and read that deficiency can cause digestive problems which is interesting. Keep ya posted.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:12 AM   #102

Hapbob HB User

I found out I had severe esophagus erosion when I had trouble swallowing. I could only get apple sauce and yogurt to go down comfortably. I had a barrium swallow test it showed nothing...??? I was concerned of why I could not swallow anything that wasn't chewed to the extreme. So I had an upper endo done and they found two strictures...blockages. Doc put a baloon in there and expaned or broke the strictures apart. I was to go back in 3-4 weeks for another expansion but doc said I had not healed enough from the first one to do it again. My esphogus was raw, red and still alittle bloody from not healing. They beleive I still have acid causing it not to heal? So put ON aciphex for 3 months to get it healed.? I need a better diet or list of things that cause my problem. I also am going to start Magnesium supplements and a good multi viteamin. I have never taken any vitemins.

Hap

Old 10-30-2004, 08:40 AM   #103
(male)

theman2000 HB User

I am sure someone has asked this already.

Can you take PPI's and magnesuim together?

I usually can eat anything with any problems(once in a while I would get reflux/heartburn) but I started to get reflux/heartburn a few days after a colonoscopy that seems to be hanging on. I think I was so freaked out about getting the colonoscopy I stressed my self until my stomach went nuts. It has been a few months now since reflux/heartburn symptoms started. I thought I was better for a few weeks and started eating junk again and after a few days it was back with a vengence.

I have gone from Protinix to Previced to Prilosec OTC without great results. I had nexium once and it seemed to be the best. The doc gave me samples and then my insurance company said they would not let me have nexium.

What diet do people with this problem need to follow?

Old 10-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #104
(male)

mrmagregus HB User

theman yeah you can take the PPI and the magnesium but really you want to get off the PPI if you can. Day three for me so far and I am really feeling alot better then I have in a while, lets hope it continues will keep yall posted.

Old 10-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #105

Hapbob HB User

Mr mag have you changed your diet or are you just taking magnesium supplement. Also what dosage are you taking.

Hap

Closed Thread