It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 02:52 AM   #1
(female)

pob HB User
Gallstones?

Hi,

I think I had a gallstone attack last week. At about 7.30pm I started to get a pain in my upper abdomen, judt to the right of centre. within 15 minutes I was rolling round in agony, no position eased it at all. I tried a shower but couldn't even stand up.I can honestly say it was the worst pain I have ever had in my life (and I have given birth twice without pain relief!). It continued for over an hour until I got sick (violently) and then it eased so that I could actually sit still but it took another cople of hours and sitting in a warm bath before I could say i was comfortable again.

In the past few months I have had some discomfort (not pain) in that general region but it felt more like the pain was on the rib, i.e sore to touch, rather than under and I thought it was postural because I only feel it when I've been sitting at the computer for a while.

I went to my GP the next morning and while he thought it sounded like Gallstones he was a bit confused as it haddn't been brought on by any food nor has greasy or fatty food caused me any problem in the past. I also didn't feel any major pain or discomfort when he pressed on that area. However he sent me for an ultrasound the next morning which showed completely normal, clean as a whistle. He sais it sounded like there may have been a stone that had passed. However he also said that sometimes you can see when a stone has passed, it leaves a trace, or the opening is left wider for a couple of days afterwards but mine wasn't.

So now I'm wondering... first of all was this a gallstone or not and if not what are the other possibilities? Secondly if it was a gallstone, what are the chances that it was a one off and if not how long does it take them to build up again seeing as there were none showing on the US. Do they build up in weeks, months or does it take years?

Maybe this is unrelated but the day after the US, i.e 2 days after the attack I had mild diarrhoea all day.

I am a bit overweight (about 20lbs) but in the past month have changed my diet considerably and have lost about 8lbs, not an excessive or particularly fast weight loss.

Does this sound like anything any of you have experienced?

Thanks
P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread