It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 01:56 PM   #1

frenchie77 HB User
Unhappy embarrassing question- post colonscopy

I had my colonoscopy on Tues afternoon, but now it is is Friday afternoon and I am still having really bad gas. Is this normal? I thought that is would only be temporary after they had to use air to get inside, but now I am not sure. Everyone that who has had a coloscopy said it usually doesn't last that long. Thanks for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 10:20 PM   #2

hopetobepainfree HB User
Frenchie,
Had mine done not too long ago. I was gassy for several days also. I hope your test came back okay. If you're still having problems and no answers, seek gallbladder tests.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
It is not normal but it also depends on how much you eat so your GI tract fills up. As it fills --the air/gas will or should pass withno problem.

Many times just empting your entire sytem feels better for a few days.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I asked two coworkers who have had colonoscopies about their gas after the procedure. They both said the gas lasted about a day to a day and a half. But I think that it also has a lot to do with your system. Like Harry said, it may take a while to fill back up. When I had a brium enema x-ray done, I had diarrhea for 24 hours and bad gas for about two after that. Food just seemed to go right through me. As I was able to keep food in a little longer, the gas would settle. I would call your doc to let him know your concerns. He will probably just say that it can take awhile for some people but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2003, 10:17 AM   #5

Lovenoxsue HB User
Everyone's system is different. In order for the colon to be viewed, they had to insert air as they advanced the tube (camera) in order to get a good view. The air moves "things" out of the way of the camera. The speed of gas being released from the body after the procedure varies from person to person.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:35 AM   #6

frenchie77 HB User
Smile

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am still having some excess problems with gas and conclude that it must be related to my other intestinal problems- still undiagnosed. My coloscopy was over a month ago now and it does seem that I have just been more gassy since the procedure than before. But, with that said the few days after the colonoscopy were the worst. Of course this is normal...
Thanks again!

Old 10-09-2003, 04:05 PM   #7

gillian30 HB User
I may have to have a colonoscopy within the next month or two, and was wondering just how bad is it? I've had an endoscopy, but a colonoscopy sounds more involved. Was the procedure difficult, or complicated afterwards? How bad was the preparation?

Old 10-10-2003, 10:25 AM   #8

frenchie77 HB User
Wink

Gillian,
The exam was a breeze because they put me to sleep. It really is nothing to worry about, BUT, the prep was really bad! Lots and lots of salty, battery acid tasting fluid to clean the intestines out. I got thru it by chewing on a piece of mint gum after each glass. That really did help out a lot. Your not supposed to eat anything but I had heard that it was okay to chew gum, and my doctor said I was nicely cleaned out.
Best of luck to you, and it is better to have it done then not... no worries! Take care!

Closed Thread