It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #1

glitterstars HB User
Unhappy pulsating abdomen..

All day, I've been having this feeling of like a heartbeat in my abdomen. The feeling moves around, it will be on one side of the abdomen for a while, and then the other side. It's also right in the middle, directly under my sternum. I'm not nauseous. I have no fever, back pain, or anything else that's really alarming.
I would like to ask if anyone has any idea what this could be?

Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Could be spasms. Just a guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 08:37 PM   #3

glitterstars HB User
Question

That's the thing. I don't have a clue what it could be. I was hoping to get some ideas as to what it could be, from the board..

Old 10-07-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Most likely it's normal....just your heartbeat/pulse you are feeling...or is it a twitch?

Old 10-08-2003, 08:33 AM   #5

austin4 HB User
You've eliminated the possibility of pregnancy yes? Early movement by the baby feels like a twitch or butterfly movements.

Old 10-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #6

glitterstars HB User
It's not twitching or a light butterfly feeling. It literally feels like there's a different heartbeat there. It gets really strong too, at times. It feels like a stabbing pain at other times.
There's no possible way that I'm pregnant, believe me. I'm not sexually active.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
Please have this checked out now. Doctor can listen or order a couple simple tests to rule out ab******l anyuresm(spelling) that can cause pulsating in that area. don't do any heavy lifting until you get it checked out. Maybe nothing but do check it out. It is not common.

Old 10-11-2003, 02:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Have you heard of the Aorta? Well, this vessel is inside the heart, but also runs straight down through the rest of the body and also runs through your belly too, where it is called the ab******l aorta. It is an artery so has a pulsation within it.

It is possible to feel this beating in your belly and normally if you put a hand over your belly button, then you may well be able to feel a pulsating. This is perfectly normal.

If you are worried however, do go and get checked out by a doctor. There is a condition that is known as a triple A which is called an Ab******l Aortic Aneurism and these can rupture at times without warning. However, a lot of people with this condition do suffer some terrible back pain at times and the fact that you do not have any at all is a good sign.

I don't mean to alarm you, but if most people feel a pulse in their bellies it is perfectly normal and this is probably what you are feeling, however if you are worried in any way go and see your doc and let him put your mind at rest.

Good luck

Old 10-11-2003, 08:33 PM   #9

glitterstars HB User
I don't have to put my hand on my stomach to feel it. That's one of the strange parts. I'm going to get a hold of my doctor on Monday and see if I can get an appointment soon. It's really scary that you say it could be an aneurysm, because I'm only 22 years old.

Old 10-12-2003, 01:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

At the age of 22, it is highly unlikely that this is an anuerysm and I did not say infactically that it was, I just said that such a condition exists and it is possible, but then of course I did not know your age.

Are you on the thin side by any chance? If you are then it is perfectly possible to see the pulsating in your belly without even putting a hand on your belly button. When lying down, if I put my hand on my belly, covering my belly button, I can feel this pulsating too, although I cannot see it.

This is perfectly normal, as it is a major blood vessel that runs through your body and it is also an artery and arteries do pulsate and this runs from your heart and goes through your belly too.

If it puts your mind at rest, then do go and see your doc.

Old 10-12-2003, 11:53 AM   #11
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Hi I could feel pulsating in my stomach around my belly button area. It felt really weird. And it occured for several hours a day. I thought I had a little baby in there moving about. But I am a man so don't go thinking I really did have a baby.

I had my upper endoscopy done and the Doctor did not find any thing threatening. I was really thinking that I had a tumor, cancer, clogged up food in the intestines, polypes, etc. BUT he simply said all it is a lot of acid. I am hoping the acidphx pills he give will do the trick. It better because it really felt really bad for the last couple months, to the point where I could hardly even eat or drink.

Closed Thread