It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 07:28 PM   #1

i_am_shel HB User
Unhappy Weight Gain after Gallblabber Removal

One night, 3 weeks after delivering my second child I collapsed with extreme stomach pain. I was diagnosed as having gall stones. The following day I had surgery to remove my gallbladder. The day after that I was jaundice and went back to the hospital. Die was injected into by body so that there would be contrast for x-rays to see where a missed gall stone was so that it could be seen and then removed. The day after that I experienced
additional pains and again went back to the hospital. I had pancreatitis and was admitted to the hospital where I stayed for nearly a week.

I've always eaten well and exercised several days a week. I had no symptoms or problems before or during my pregnancy with my gallbladder and could fit into my clothes after the baby was born. Within a month and a half after my surgeries I gained over 40 pounds. I
have frequent diarrhea and am often fatigued. I have tried numerous diets, weight loss and exercise programs and spent thousands of dollars and several years trying these programs and going to different doctors.

It's been nearly 5 years since my gallbladder surgeries and I'm still looking for answers. If anyone has had similar problems and has found any solutions please let me know! I'd be happy to hear from anyone who may have a suggestion.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:53 PM   #2

Alyson Ann HB User
I am 26 and I have two children 8 and 5. Three and a half years ago I had my gallbladder out. Before I started having gallbladder attacks I had lost about 70 pounds.

After the surgery I gained about 25 pounds back and I am having trouble getting it off. I don't seem to be able to get it off even with not drinking alcohol, watching my food and exercising 6-7 days a week. It's getting very old.

I know what you are going through it can be very frustrating. It seems to be the trend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi there - me too. I lost 25+ lbs. before my GB was removed, and after surgery gained that and then some! Of course, I'm now over 40 so weight loss is almost impossible without extreme dieting and hours of exercising. I'm not able to do both, but I do try to watch my intake and exercise moderately on daily basis.

That's about the only advice I can offer - I haven't really lost any of the weight, but then I haven't gained more either.

Good luck to you both,
Katie G

Old 10-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #4

gigenny HB User
I too was diagnosed with gall stones 7 weeks after my second child was born. It took only 1 1/2 months to get to surgery.

I was afraid of gaining weight after the surgery and spoke to the surgeon about my concerns. He responded that it should not make a difference.

It did make a difference. I gained approx 30 pounds in 4 months after my gallbladder surgery. I kept it on for 4 years.

In October of 2001 I had ballooned to 238 pounds on a 5 foot 8 frame. Needless to say I was obese. I started a very regimented exercise and eating program (I did not do any fad diets - just healthy low card, low fat, high protein, lots of exercise and gallons of water per day). I lost 93 pounds in total.

I have to constantly watch what I eat. Any type of fat in my diet and my weight shows it. It is a constant battle. It is however possible to loose the weight and keep it off.

Best of luck and yes I do believe that my weight gain was in part due to the gallblader surgery

Closed Thread