It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 05:37 PM   #1

rach923 HB User
Post I'm New!!- I have a complicated digestive history...please read!!

THIS IS A little LONG, BUT PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE TIME! Thanks!
i accidently stumbled across this website while doing some other research, and i love it!! just a little history about me (in the medical respect)...i started having problems elemntary school with slight motion sickness and frequent nausea. in 8th grade i stared having diarhhea and heartburn, and was given zantac, then my 10th grade year i came down with what i supposed to be a stomach virus....that never went away. although i never threw up(i haven't since i was 8), i knew my breaking point, and i would stop eating when i felt full (i kinda have a phobia of vomiting). well, my GI in hershey pa tested me for bacteria imbalance, parasites, liver/pancreas/kidney dysfunction, and ordered a full palate of blood tests (for mono, cancer, and the like). i was also tested (not by him) for lactose intolerence, thyroid dysfunction, and anything that can be found through (2) endoscopies, a 24-hour pH probe, an upper GI, abdominal CAT scan, an ultrasound (for gallbladder) and some kind of (excuse me) poop test where i put stools in a preservative container to be studied in a lab...the pH probe showed that i refluxed ALOT and the second endoscopy said i have a hiatal hernia, but besides that, nata. after 2 mos of near starvation, i was admitted to hershey med center where i was given an IV for five days and an NG tube which went home with me for three mos. i wieghed 95 lbs upon admitance (sp?), at 5'5'', which is a full 30lbs lighter than i am now (and most people think i look like i weight ALOT less than i actually do, so that was ALOT of wieght for me to loose.) oh, and my hershey GI thought i had an eating disorder and was trying to mask it by pretending i had a problem...how ignorant!!!! now, i'm just on this site to try to get some support and suggestions, b/c i'm sick of everybody rolling their eyes at my complaints, b/c noone can really make them go away. here's my current med update- i'm going to the GI on thurs for a check up---i take 80mg of nexium every day (my doc says my reflux is so severe that he doesn't wanna risk surgery cause it may not do anything), peppermint extract (to "aid" in digestion), levbid 2x a day to control IBS and stomach pain, and, although i am not depressed, he put me on zoloft, cause sometimes it helps nausea (it actually does for me...unfortunately, mentally i am now dependent on it)---oh, and the nexium about 98% takes away my heartburn, but non-painful reflux happens all the time---also, from having an NG tube down my throat i have developed SEVERE rhinitis (nasal bleeding and constriction and swelling on nasal passages), which is aided by allegra and nasonex (i can still FEEL the areas where the tube chaffed against my sinuses!), and mild asthma (supposedly from reflux), which is controlled with albuterol as needed. I don't really have any "questions" persay, i just wanted to talk to some people with similar problems, b/c, like i read on many of your posts...alot of you say that people thought it was "all in your head"--yeah right!!! if anyone has any suggestions as to strategies that help ease discomfort (by the way, i do sleep with my bed proped up on wooden blocks), please let me know, otherwise, i'd just like to talk with some of you guys... thanks for reading!!!!

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tagger HB User
Gosh you've been through a lot! I wish I could help you. Hope someone on this board might have some answers or suggestions. Whether any of us can help or not we are with you in spirit. I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions?...Tagger

Old 04-29-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb

Rach,
Sorry about all your problems!!!

That's some story!!!
You didn't go into much detail about what you're eating that produces so much stomach acids??? 80mgs of Nexium is alot of proton pump inhibitors. As you probably know --it make the acid producing cells in your stomach stop producing acid. Too, little acid is not good.

Peppermint is more of an irritant for some people--- for some it hurts more than it helps digestion. It can irritant your throat??? It does mine. You need to take a digestive enzymes for better digestion without any acid in it.

I suggest you start eating yogurt -- 3 or 4 times daily. A good brand is Stonyfield Farm. It contains 6 active cultured bacteri that helps digestion by re-balancing your intestinal fiendly bacteria. There are other good brands at health food stores-- just read the labels to make sure it's good --contains more than just a few active cultures.

I think that you're not drinking enough water. You should be drinking 8 --- 8 ounce glasses daily. It would help flush your Gastro system out. Also, start taking a water soluble fiber supplement daily-- like Metamucil twice daily. It's safe and will bulk up your stool so that your BMs are gentle without straining.

I wish you well!!!
God Bless---Harry

PS Let us know how you're doing.

Old 04-30-2003, 07:01 PM   #4

rach923 HB User
thank you so much for your reply! lets see if i can answer some of the q's you posted about me...i'm not actually sure what causes such a high acid secretion in my stomach...the hiatal hernia makes it easier to come up, of course, but i haven't actually found a target food...even water will reflux when i'm not on medication (well, it will cause severe heartburn, reflux happens all the time) but, anyway, uh, lemme see if i can remember what you said...i tried digestive enzymnes a couple of years ago, and i didn't really seem to do anything, but there's no harm in trying it again, i suppose...the peppermint can cause irritation, but, oddly enough, i actually find relief in taking it, it coats my stomach or something, like, if i'm nauseous, anything peppermint flavored (the capsule, hard candy or gum) clears it up BETTER THAN ANYTHING...the yogurt thing, i'm not familiar with the type you listed, but i know that dannon fruit-on-bottom is good for other bacterial imbalances, and i like that...would that help, or is the kind you listed best???? let me know...oh, and i took metamucil for awhile, uh, i think it was my freshman (high school) year, and it actually CAUSED more diarehha...so i had to stop...i have my GI appointment tomorrow afternoon, so we'll see what goes on there...i'm gonna ask him about some good foods to eat (i think that would be an easier list than what not to eat!!! haha) oh! i just remembered...i knew that i'm on a high dose of nexium...i switched to prilosec from aciphex and zantac when i was sick, and that was a 20mg, and then since i was still having problems they doubled it when i was admitted, when i transferred to the carlise doc, he discovered the hiatal hernia and saw that my pH probe results were really bad, and i was still having some heartburn, so he doubled that, and its been working great to control the sting, i don't think the reflux is bad without the acid is it??? well, probably...lemme know what you think...i write more if i discovered that i forgot anything!! thank you!!!!

rach

September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Old 04-30-2003, 08:00 PM   #5

cathy2752 HB User
Hello......80mg nexium is alot....I have barrett's esophagus (precancer) and I take 100mg. but thats pretty unusual....You should not be taking any MINTS...they can absolutely cause more problems...Im concerned about why your dr. thinks you would not be a good candidate for the fundoplication surgery....Usually, it is recommended when you dont respond well to the PPIs (nexium)If you are taking 80mg then your not responding well to treatment...What happens when you have a hernia is this.... We have what is called a lower esophageal spincter (LES) muscle that is located at the base of our esophagus where it meets the stomach....we get a hernia when that muscle is weakened and a portion of our stomach slips though that LES muscle and is in our esophagus...That means the LES muscle (that usually stays closed except when we are eating or drinking to allow what we have consumed to pass from our esophagus to our stomach) is, to some degree, constantly open allowing the acid to get through (instead 0f staying in our stomach where it belongs)and causing it to reflux back into the esophagus.......Fundoplication surgery repairs the hernia and wraps a portion of your stomach around that muscle and keeps it closed....Most people cant vomit anymore after having it done but they dont usually ever have any reflux symptoms again either. Usually you can be medicine free afterwards.....There are alot of new technics with this surgery and now they say that many of them will last a life time without having to be redone.......I have made the choice for myself not to have this surgery because of the amt. of dysplasia I have with my diagnosis...Im to afraid the surgery would hide the pre-cancer area (as it is known to do in barrett's esophagus) and that I would still be progresssing and it woudl be very hard to biopsy.....Also, I hope you dont eat any chocolate, caffeine, tomatoe products, fried foods,pepper, alcohol, tea,, colas, citrus fruits...You also should not take any aspirin, or NSAIDS...I never eat atleast three hrs before laying down.....If this is all caused from acid-reflux because of the hernia, over alot of yrs. time, if it doesnt get controlled, it can lead to many severe complications, such as, erosive esophagitis, strictures, and many, even more serious things...I hope this info will help you when you are talking to your Dr....Take care...........Cathy

Old 05-01-2003, 05:49 AM   #6

star45 HB User
hi, i have a phobia of vomiting too, did you know that emetophobia (its name) can cause you to feel nauseaous a lot of the time because of anxiety? i felt nauseaous for 6 months and stopped eating because i was so scared of von=miting, i went to psychiartrist and was given a mild anti depressant, now i can eat and dont feel sick all the time anymore. is this any help? i hope so xx

Old 05-01-2003, 04:00 PM   #7

rach923 HB User
thank you so much for your replies!!

cathy...i've been told by several people on this board that mints are bad for reflux problems...thats always the general concept, but when i don't take my peppermint oil, i will always have (mild) heartburn after eating...any idea to why this is??? also, one day we were driving on bumpy backroads, and my stomach was upset anyway, and we stopped and ate, and afterwards i was really nauseous, but when i chewed some wintergreen flavored gum, it cleared up IMMEDIATELY---any response to why this might be happening??? by the way, the 80mg nexium does an excellent job for me...about 98% of the time..when i do get heartburn, its is usually because either i have eaten something i shouldn't have, or i ate to quickly, however, the reflux is still there for awhile after eating something...does this fall under "not responding well to treatment"???? i am a bit hesitant to say that my eating habits are probably not the best for my problem, but they have gotten worse since the onset of the symptoms, so i know that my eating did not initially cause it...i love chocolate, and i love soda too...but the kind i like to drink has caffiene in it (i'm not addicted to the caffiene, i love the carbonation!!!!) would some of that carbonated fruit-flavored stuff be any better??? eehhh, fried foods i eat moderately...every once in a while the family has to stop by mcdonald's when we're in a hurry (i'm 17 in a family of five, just FYI)...the NSAIDS thing, i try not to take too much pain reliever anyway just cause, but when i do (oops)it usually is an NSAID- i have severe chronic swelling in my nasal passages, and NSAIDS are the only things that will take my headaches away...any suggestions??? you can't vomit if you've had fundoplication surgery?!?!?!?!!? i didn't know that!!! did you read that i have a phobia of vomiting???? i would love to know that i will never vomit!!! oh, just another little note that might be of importance, my grandfather had an ulcerated esophagus requiring removal of part of his esophagus, and he had colon cancer also and had a colostomy for the last 10 years of his life...lemme know what you think...

harry, thank you for the yogurt bacteria information...i will look into it...please let me know if you have any response to anything i said to cathy...

star 45...i DEFINATELY have that vomiting phobia you talked about!!! (can't remember the name!) i thought i was just weird!! most people can't understand that...especially with my GI history...i was put on zoloft to try to control the nausea, and i didn't think it did ANYTHING...until i tried to go off of it, then i was nauseous alot, and i discovered i was pretty dependent on that drug...i still have a phobia of vomiting, but (unlike when i was in elementary school) my fear is not so intense as to make me nauseous..thanks for that little tidbit!! i didn't know that a fear of vomiting was something that could be labeled as something other than "weird"

lastly, does anyone have any info on the fundoplication surgery???

thanks! rach

Old 05-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #8

rach923 HB User
hey! i think i forgot to add something, i didn't actually come out and ask about eating habits...do any of you have any suggestions for good foods for people with the reflux/IBS i have described...i am having SO much trouble changing eating habits, cause noone else in my (immediate)family has stomach probs...any ideas????? thanks again!!

rach

Old 05-01-2003, 08:35 PM   #9

cathy2752 HB User
You are dealing with an awful lot for a 17 yr. old and I think (just from what you have written) that you are handling it quite well.....Its very hard for someone my age (50) to change eating habits, I cant even imagine being so young and dealing with it....However, after saying that, I want you to know, that lifestyle changes is what it takes to get a handle on reflux disease...If you try to avoid the foods that are on the NO NO list you should see a decrease in your symptoms....The two things you know you have are...Reflux and hiatal hernia, so, you have to focus on getting the acid under control.....Why don't you try for a few weeks to stick real close to the GERD diet and just see what happens with your symptoms....I still say 80mg Nexium is alot but the most important thing is to stop the acid, and if that is how much it takes then so be it, but, the medicine wont work without our help...This is an illness that takes our active participation...If we dont do what we are expected to do then no amt. of meds will make us better....You can research the fundoplication surgery on the web by just going to google and entering nissen fundoplication....Lots of sites will come up but like with everything else, go to the good reputabe sites like John hopkins or a big Hosp. that has lots of info....Im sorry you have had to deal with this for so long, people that dont have these problems just dont understnad to well what we go through....I wish you the best of luck and try to avoid those foods you know you shouldnt eat...Also, I like carbonated sodas and I once in awhile drink one that is decaf....My orders from my GI Spec. says I can have one decaf beverage a day.....Take care and let us know how you are doing.......Cathy

Old 05-02-2003, 12:07 PM   #10

rach923 HB User
thanks for your response...i appreciated that you gave me what i needed to hear without some big, grumbling, lecture about what i'm doing wrong...i agree with you that i probably eat some stuff that is not perfect for my system..oh, before i forget, in addition to the gerd and hernia, i also have a fairly severe case of ibs...i'm on meds for that too...anyhow, i have been sick the past couple of days with a sore throat/earache kinda thing, and for some reason my bowels are really screwed up too. i don't know if the bacteria just attacked both places, or if my body's fighting the head cold so hard that my digestive system gets neglected...either way, i have been drinking alot of water today, and i haven't had any diarehha since this morning...kudos to water i guess i quite agree that the 80mg nexium is alot, i am slightly concerned about it, but maybe the food and diet changes i'm trying to make will make the nexium work 100% i completely understand what your saying...i'm going into premed, so i have had alot of contacts with patients through internships i've done, and it amazes me what people expect medicine to do...there are smokers that come in to the drugstore where i work that come in and pick of 4-5 asthma meds...hello??!?!?! but, to get back on subject...i have a 24 ounce water bottle, and i figure if i can drink 2 a day then i'll only be 16 ounces short of 64 (or eight glasses) so we'll see how that does...i realized today that i feel completely satisfied after having about only 8-12 ounces of water ALL DAY...that probably isn't good...i still think i probably need the 80mg nexium, but hopefully eating habits will help make it even better. do you happen to know what damage can be done if i continue to reflux non-acidic substances (most of the time if i bend over after eating, it comes right back up- but does not hurt) i know my mom is concerned sometimes b/c i'm having more severe probs with my digestive system at 17 than my grandfather ever had (well, except for the colostomy)....thanks for the reply

rach

Old 05-02-2003, 07:09 PM   #11
(female)

BrendaB HB User
Rach, I too have a hiatal hernia, GERD, and IBS. I'm on 40mg of Prolosec, Cimetadine and Reglan 4 times a day. Also Metamucil once a day. When I have a bad attack with reflux, the ONLY thing that works is following a strict no acid diet. After a few weeks I feel better and can gradually add some foods back in. However some I have permanently banned from my diet. Here are the list of food items I don't eat when following the strict diet:
Coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, chocolate, anything with caffine, coffee or tea labled "decafinated", onions, peppers, garlic, spices (including mustard), anything made from tomatoes. Basically, follow a bland diet for a while. I rely on mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, baked chicken and bottled water. It's not a lo-cal diet, but usually it's friendly to my system. Again, to work you must stick with this for a few weeks. Hopefully your family will help you out by keeping some "friendly" foods on hand.
Good Luck
Brenda

Old 05-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #12
(female)

BrendaB HB User
Rach, I forgot to mention...watch your physical activity too. No bending over and lifting, no sit-ups, jumping jacks, etc. These cause acid to back up. My last severe attack occurred after starting a combination cardio-kickboxing and yoga class. Big mistake. My doctor told me to stop immediately. Walking and swimming are good exercises.

Brenda

Old 05-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #13

rach923 HB User
brenda- thanks for your reply! you would think that gerd, ibs, and hiatal hernia would all run together, but i have found it very rare to find anyone else with all these disorders reeking havoc on the digestive system...i must admit, i LOVE chocolate and carbonated beverages, but i know when its time to stop, and usually i do...fortunately, i don't like any of the acidic foods you listed, nor do i drink coffee or tea, so following that kinda diet is not too rough for me...however, i do like pizza, so thats probably not good either, but i don't have as much temptation as i would if i liked alot of those foods...i have found that water IS very beneficial to keeping me on track...with my stomach upset these past couple of days, flushing the water through is the only thing that seems to stop..i don't wanna take any meds...i don't wanna overload (you probably saw in my original post the meds i'm on)...thats good you can take reglan, i took that for about a week before i was admitted to hershey 2 years ago, and it was TERRIBLE to me---i got EXTREMELY drousy and weak...i could hardly function! i also had quite a reaction to phenergan...so thats out too. oddly enough, my doc put me on metamucil several years, and although alot of the cramping was resolved, it made my diarhhea worse (how come i can never spell that word?!?!?!) i have found that the new ibs drugm levbid, is much kinder and effective for my system.

about the physical exercise thing...i totally agree with you...just thinking about doing those exercises with any food in my stomach practically gives me reflux...haha. i don't exercise alot now (no gym class) but i do dance, and i know when i've had too much...down the road when i'm older, i have a feeling i'll probably want to exercise...what exercises DONT induce reflux???? just wondering...cause i agree about the ones you listed.

well, tonight i have my prom, so i hope i can control my eating...we're going to applebees for dinner, and pretty much the only thing i like there is buffalo wings (i know, they're TERRIBLE for reflux- but oddly enough, they don't seem to bother me...could it be b/c my acid is already being blocked by the ppi???)- so i'm afraid i will cave in...and there's gonna be soda EVERYWHERE however, i drank a mug of water today, and i plan to drink more before 3- when i'm meeting friends....wish me luck (:-/) thanks for your response!!

rach

Old 05-04-2003, 03:38 PM   #14

rach923 HB User
i asked some of you that if peppermint is so bad for reflux, then why does the peppermint oil i take everyday not cause problems?? i found out last night!! i was taking my meds, and i looked at the bottle, and the oil of peppermint that i take is "enterically coated" to dissolve and be absorbed by the small intestine!!! thats why its helping me! its an intestinal drug, not a stomach/reflux drug, and thats why it is so soothing to my system...my intestinal sphincter is fine, so the peppermint is not actually in my stomach, and therefore not bothering my stomach!!! i find this herb beneficial to anyone with ibs....my GI recommended it!

rach

Old 05-04-2003, 08:37 PM   #15

cathy2752 HB User
Hi...I hope you had a wonderful time at your prom last nite !!!!!you taught me something about that peppermint oil you take, I couldnt figure out how it was helping you when it is defintely on the BAD list.....Thank-you...You got it down pat with the water regime, I drink about 8-10 glasses everyday....Take Care.....Cathy

Closed Thread