It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2002, 12:34 PM   #1

Leigh25 HB User
Unhappy Burping rotten eggs/sulfur, PLEASE HELP

Every couple months I get these horrible burps that taste like rotten eggs or sulfur and sometimes it is accompanied by vomiting (also tastes like rotten eggs) and diarrhea. I have had this for ten years and doctors don't know what to make of it. Anyone heard of this? I'll try anything and take any suggestions.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Leigh25
Rush Hakes (01-13-2012), SunnyJ23 (12-23-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 11:57 AM   #2

tuesday22 HB User
I have those exact symptoms and i am looking for answers too. So far the docs say i have H. pylori--was treated but it didnt stop--then GERD--was giving Zantac and Prilosc--that doesnt help--plus now i have IBS that comes at the same time as the egg burps---oh and the also found the I have fatty liver disorder. I finally requested to be tested for Giardia and re-tested for the H. Pylori. Should get the results some time next week--msg me if ur interested. Good Luck-to both of us-lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 04:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Have you considered charcoal tablets? I believe they are used to absorb bad smelling stuff. There are some precautions using charcoal if you are taking other medications because the charcoal can absorb you meds and make them less effective. I have had those smelly burps from time to time but I have never tried doing anything about them. If they were to become more frequent, I too would probably look for something to counteract the smell. Good luck!

Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 PM   #4
Inactive

sn0wflake HB User
you guys arent alone... ive had those rotten egg burps too.... HORRIBLE i tell ya...... ive cleared a room with them before. Its amazing how bad they smell.... and so embarassing. Pretty bad when you feel the need to go OUTSIDE just to burp LOL
~sn0wflake

Old 10-12-2003, 01:10 AM   #5

tuesday22 HB User
Hi,
i know what u mean--they are the most horrible thing--i remember one day driving in the car with my husband--ex now-and him rolling down the windows and sticking his head out--lol. Maybe thats why he left me--hehe. Luckily i dont get it a much anymore, maybe about once a month. The Zantac im taking seems to be the only thing that works at all--if i dont take it for a day or two it comes on really strong. And so far it seems that everyone is suggesting things to cover up the smell but i want to know whats causing it and how to get rid of it for good. And i dont think that its related to anything i eat, i havent seen a connection. Im think it has something to do with H. Pylori even though the docs say its not related. Its very hard to explain to ppl unless they have it too. Godd luck. Bye.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:07 PM   #6

Corinna_H HB User
Gosh,I had that happen once, the stench was appalling, and I had to brace myself to let the vast belches thunder forth every couple of minutes and that sulpher gas was actually being produced in such large amounts I couldn't lie down even though it was midnight, and I was very tired, 'cause this gas just had to come up.

It was coming in such vast amounts I thought I might swell to bursting like the sheep in that movie 'far from the madding crowd' LOL!!
by then I was 'far from the madding crowd' for the pong was so appallingly strong my husband sent me outside to sleep in the campervan that night, not even in another room in the house!!!!! LOL!!!

It only ever happened that once and lasted, I think, maybe an hour or so, it couldn't have been a chronic thing like the helicobacter Pylori or however its spelled.

Thank God it didn't happen in the small intestine or I think I really might have burst!

Old 10-16-2003, 01:36 PM   #7

Cobra Jet HB User
Unhappy

I continue to have this problem. Doctors don't seem to have a clue. The rotten egg burps are bad, but the worst is I always vomit after burping for a few hours. It is if the food in my stomach does not digest completely and my stomach does not empty out completely. Once I empty my stomach completely by vomiting, I am fine for several more weeks or months. Does ANYONE have any ideas? It is a big problem in that it takes a day out of my life when this happens, and I cannot predict it. The worst is when I am traveling on the road.

I have found that it usually occurs after eating a big meal and always if that meal comes from a restaurant. Could there be someing in the food that I am allergic to the point that it paralyzes my stomach?

I have had a hida scan and an endoscope. No gall bladder problems were found, but I do have a large hiatial hernia. Otherwise, everything seems fine.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 08-18-2004, 07:23 AM   #8

sabaira HB User
Re: Burping rotten eggs/sulfur, PLEASE HELP

I have these sulfur burps, invariably after I have eaten food that turns out to be spoiled, even slightly. They are invariably followed by several hours of diarrhea, and then everything is fine until the next time, which can be 6 months.

Has anyone discovered the actual cause, and how perhaps to avoid the diarrhea by some action as soon as the first sulfur burp occurs?

Old 08-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
(female)

crowgirl HB User

Cobra Jet, could it be that your hiatal hernia causes part of the stomach to be sort of "cut off" from the rest from time to time, so that it doesn't empty properly, and the food in it will start to ferment? I'm just speculating here, but since you mentioned something similar yourself, plus you said it often occurred after a big meal, when the stomach would have to expand a lot, it definitely sounds possible to me.

All the best!

Old 08-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #10

Cobra Jet HB User

Thanks, Crowgirl, the hernia may have something to do with it. I have not had an episode for several months, now. I eat a serving of yogert (sp) about once per week. I think the bacteria in there helps my digestive system.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:59 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

im pretty sure its the Gluten..i've had those since a little child i've had those for a very long time..it was the gluten all along it was the poison for me. Im pretty sure its the same for you. Almost positive..change your diet and, eat all natural no more junk..fruits veggies fresh meat fish..all sorts of good stuff..and, you will see a big change..and, those burps will never come back.. I promise..

Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #12

Lane's Mom HB User

Hi,

I've had the same problem for several years. I have no idea what causes it either. I talked to a doctor about it once and she looked at me like I was crazy. The only thing that has worked for me was to drink some lemon juice. It doesn't work if you don't drink it rihgt away when it starts. I woke up two days ago burping that horrible smell. I drank a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice. A couple of burps later it was gone. Give it a try...It can't be any worse than having those disgusting burps.
Good luck...

Old 09-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

I just read that people doing the Atkins Diet also have sulphur (rotten eggs) breath. Apparently it comes from burning fat for energy instead of glucose. Could that be what's going on here in some way?

Old 09-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I also have the problem with burping rotten egg smell. For me it is always when I have a bad yeast problem which I have quite often. By takng care of the yeast problem the burps go away.Just a thought.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

I've also heard that taking chlorophyll tablets helps. People with a colostomy bag are advised to do this.

Closed Thread